TaylorMade RocketBladez - Review Thread

I play the 4,5 Rocketballz hybrids. My 4 yardage is 184-195. My 5 hybrid yardage is 170-183. I also have RBZ Fitairway woods. I hit the 5 between 195-210 and the 3 over 210. I am 63 years old so that is about as far as I can get out of these clubs.

Appreciate the feedback. Sounds like if you had a 3 hybrid it would go about as far as your 5 wood.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

Tested the 7 iron vs. my 7 iron. Hit mine 217 and the rocket blade 7 iron 244. Impressed.

2nd Round Recap: (sorry for non-formatting as I'm typing this on Tapatalk)

Weather was 33* and sunny with no wind. I had 5 layers of shirts/coats on to start the round so that factored into my poor play.

Even with the above factors, I was able to get some good feedback from these irons. Starting from the bottom, the AW may be my favorite club in this set. I love the turf interaction on both fairway and rough and could really work the trajectory of chips and pitches. I had a full swing shot from 115 that was picture perfect, hit 6ft right of the pin and stuck.

PW-8i were solid as well, they have a nice balance to them throughout the swing. The ball wants to get up and go and creates a good amount of spin so it hits and stops (or in one case came back 2ft!).

7&6 were the heroes of the day. I left my oft-errant driver in the car, so with 3W off the tee I was left with 165-180 quite a bit. The biggest observation here was the forgiveness on hitting it REALLY low on the face due to my awful habit of picking my head up. The ball didn't just duff, it had a lower trajectory and went an average of 60- 75% of the desired distance. I know what I have to work on in my game, but I felt these irons were a BIG help in keeping my round from being a total waste.

The 4&5 irons were acting up a bit for me, but it was mainly due to my previously mentioned head movement. They felt great off the tee though and I produced a gorgeous 4i draw on 18 that actually got over a tree at 75yds out.

Overall I'm still impressed with these irons, they have certainly improved my game and I'm excited to see the distance on these in warm weather as I'm hitting my old distances with them now in the frost.

I'm going to get the pic of the speed slot with something stuck in it when my gf gets back with my car.

On my iPhone T.. T.. Tapatalking away!

Hey so I'm brand new to this forum, but I just experienced these clubs for the first time today and I thought I'd share my experience, since I spent an hour last night reading all the great info you guys had on here

I recently demo'd the titliest ap1 712's and since I still have them till monday I decided to go to the local golfsmith shop and A/B them with these rocketbladez. Long story short the guy set me up on their opti-shot type thing at the shop and I hit about 20 balls with a 7 iron of both the ap1 and the rocketbladez. I maxed out the ap1s at 162 yards on my best shot, I love the feel of them, great club. But then I started hitting the bladez, this is where things got interesting. My longest shot was 188 yards with a 7 iron, wasn't a fluke either, had a couple 183's and a 186 in there too. When you connect with these things it's magical. My distances were more consistent with the rocketbladez and so was my trajectory. They ain't lying when they say these things fly high too, a much higher launch angle than the ap1's. I also thought "well ok they go far but I bet they aren't that workable". So I tried hitting a little draw, which I'm not great at by the way, and had a nice 172 yard draw with good movement.

So that's my uneducated write up of my experience, not much I know. I just thought I'd come give you guys an honest opinion of what I thought of the clubs. The dude at golfsmith was saying he'd go with the ap1's, that they were a better upgrade from the clubs I have now. But I think that was the golfsnob part of him not wanting to give taylor credit where credit is due. I'll be ordering my set of rocketbladez tomorrow from my local Ma and Pa shop and I couldn't be happier.

Welcome to the forum. Very nice first post. It sounds like your experience was similar to many of us. What are you playing now? Interesting that the GS guy would point you in the other direction. Congrats on the pending purchase, I think you'll be happy with these clubs.

Hawk - reading a bit from earlier in the thread and I was just curious how you're feeling about the KBS Tour shafts now that you have a few more reps. I'm on the fence between the KBS tour 90S and the rocket fuels that I did my testing with. Without the KBS shafts available in the fitting carts, I'm hesitant to just grab them based on the online fitting tool. Thoughts? Everyone else can chime in also, just saw that Hawk had experience with these. Would be patient, but want to get these in the bag before a trip in Jan.

Sorry for the delay. My weekend was a busy one.

I've not hit the two shafts against each other in the RocketBladez, but I have swung the 2.0's a bit in the last three weeks and I'm almost sure they are the same shaft based on specs. I will say that the comparison I've done is fairly limited. Nothing long term for sure.

I didn't notice much difference in distance, height, or dispersion between the two. I did notice a difference in the feel of the two shafts. Seemed like the stock shaft flexed or kicked more to me. That's not really a good or bad thing. Just something that I felt like I noticed.

I picked the Tour 90 S based off past experience with the KBS Tour R flex and a recommendation from KBS. So far, I've been very happy with that decision.

Hey so I'm brand new to this forum, but I just experienced these clubs for the first time today and I thought I'd share my experience, since I spent an hour last night reading all the great info you guys had on here

I recently demo'd the titliest ap1 712's and since I still have them till monday I decided to go to the local golfsmith shop and A/B them with these rocketbladez. Long story short the guy set me up on their opti-shot type thing at the shop and I hit about 20 balls with a 7 iron of both the ap1 and the rocketbladez. I maxed out the ap1s at 162 yards on my best shot, I love the feel of them, great club. But then I started hitting the bladez, this is where things got interesting. My longest shot was 188 yards with a 7 iron, wasn't a fluke either, had a couple 183's and a 186 in there too. When you connect with these things it's magical. My distances were more consistent with the rocketbladez and so was my trajectory. They ain't lying when they say these things fly high too, a much higher launch angle than the ap1's. I also thought "well ok they go far but I bet they aren't that workable". So I tried hitting a little draw, which I'm not great at by the way, and had a nice 172 yard draw with good movement.

So that's my uneducated write up of my experience, not much I know. I just thought I'd come give you guys an honest opinion of what I thought of the clubs. The dude at golfsmith was saying he'd go with the ap1's, that they were a better upgrade from the clubs I have now. But I think that was the golfsnob part of him not wanting to give taylor credit where credit is due. I'll be ordering my set of rocketbladez tomorrow from my local Ma and Pa shop and I couldn't be happier.

Thanks for the post and welcome to THP! Hope you enjoy your irons.

Hawk, which clubs did you compare with the burner 2.0? I really love mine and only have one nitpick: I'd like more distance separation in the 4,5,6 irons.

This is what the rocketbladez claim to do. If you found no differences between the burners and the bladez, I would have no incentive to make a change. TMag specifically said that the bladez add 5mph in ball speed over the 2.0 longer irons. I was hoping very much for this to be true.

Thankd

Alright, I've hit these quite a bit in the last few days. I played sim golf with my FIL on Saturday night and then played 9 holes (also hit extra balls and a couple additional holes for ball testing). Not really planning on talking much about the sim golf because that was purely a recreational activity to blow some steam off :)

I ditched the 4 iron in favor of my 5 hybrid before playing. Looking at my results with it as a whole, the consistency just isn't there for me. Obviously, that has far more to do with me than it does with the irons, but it's worth mentioning. While I hit it better than any other 4 iron I can remember using in the last year, I still hit a hybrid better. In the end, the irons aren't magic and won't turn you into a long iron wizard if you aren't already close to that level of proficiency.

That said, I've kept the 5 iron in the bag and I plan for it to remain there. It's been a solid club and I've found it useful in a number of situations. Used it off the tee on a couple short par 4's and a mid length par 3 as well as from the fairway once. Miss with this one was a push - usually a sign I'm not staying down through my shot. Good shots were a high draw. Certainly higher than any other 5 iron I can remember hitting. Accuracy is pretty good. Some misses, but mostly a club that I can keep on line. For some reason I didn't notice much in the way of sound with this one yesterday. I have in the past, but nothing grabbed my attention during this round.

Had some scooping issues with full PW shots that annoyed me. Misses still found enough distance to avoid trouble, but not the results I was hoping for. I did have decent results with using the PW for half shots though. Saw a pretty good amount of spin, certainly due in part to the softer conditions yesterday. Part of my still prefers my 588's for this shot though.

Since this testing has begun, I've shot some pretty good scores. Whether that's coincidence or has to do with the RocketBladez I can't really say. Either way, I'm still enjoying them quite a bit. Ball height and forgiveness are definitely the biggest positives so far for me. I know somebody mentioned digging a while back, but I'd say that I'm not seeing that at all. I'm a pretty shallow swinger though.

Last edited:
Hawk, which clubs did you compare with the burner 2.0? I really love mine and only have one nitpick: I'd like more distance separation in the 4,5,6 irons.

This is what the rocketbladez claim to do. If you found no differences between the burners and the bladez, I would have no incentive to make a change. TMag specifically said that the bladez add 5mph in ball speed over the 2.0 longer irons. I was hoping very much for this to be true.

Thankd

I have a 2.0 6 iron that I've hit a few times since this testing started. I haven't done any real analysis using data at this point though. I'll try to get that done here in the near future if I can. I will say that I can't recall seeing a 5mph increase in ball speed.

Thankd

I am actually coming from Burner 2.0's with the stock 85g stiff shaft into the Rocketbladez with the same shaft.I did see a significant difference in the long irovs vs. the 2.0 not only in distance, but in dispersion, trajectory, and forgiveness on mis-hits. To compare, the Rocketbladez are currently playing at or slightly better than the 2.0's (a little better on the long irons and about the same on 7-AW) in very cold conditions (33* on Saturday). I expect the distance once the temp improves to be a significant change! If you "really like" the Burners, you're going to LOVE the Rocketbladez!

Let me know if there are any specific questions I can answer for you regarding the two. Best of luck in your decision!

Thanks TeedUp. This is the info I am looking for and will be watching your posts with much interest.

One other thing I meant to mention.

I wasn't sure if I'd see some overlap between the 5 iron and my 5 hybrid. To test that, I hit balls at a green on a par 3. Only thing that may have skewed results was hitting into the wind. I GPS'd the results and saw about 8 yards of carry difference between the two, with the M5 being longer. Ball flight was higher with the M5 but shot shape was very similar. Goes to show that loft isn't everything. The M5 is lighter and longer, which I suspect has something to do with that. I tend to think that a M4 might be the better option, so may try that next time to keep gaps somewhat spaced out.

5 iron specs:
23°
38.25 length

Mashie M5 specs:
26°
39.25 length

Congrats on the order of the RocketBladez! Welcome to THP as well. Thanks for chiming in with your experience with these irons. That speaks volumes when you have that much more distance compared to the AP1. Like you I'm not real great at working the ball either but I have been able to consistently hit little draws and hold these from going left to right which is my normal shot shape. Not hooking anything around a tree Bubba Watson style but I have been able to manipulate the flight quite nicely.

One other thing I meant to mention.

I wasn't sure if I'd see some overlap between the 5 iron and my 5 hybrid. To test that, I hit balls at a green on a par 3. Only thing that may have skewed results was hitting into the wind. I GPS'd the results and saw about 8 yards of carry difference between the two, with the M5 being longer. Ball flight was higher with the M5 but shot shape was very similar. Goes to show that loft isn't everything. The M5 is lighter and longer, which I suspect has something to do with that. I tend to think that a M4 might be the better option, so may try that next time to keep gaps somewhat spaced out.

5 iron specs:
23°
38.25 length

Mashie M5 specs:
26°
39.25 length

Interesting. I'm trying to decide between getting a 3 hybrid or the Rocketbladez 3 iron myself.

Lots of great updates in the last day or so. Great stuff everyone!

Well, I got a set on the way. 4-AW stiff steel.

I'd like to get the SW.

Any thoughts on the bladez SW vs the ATV?

Interesting. I'm trying to decide between getting a 3 hybrid or the Rocketbladez 3 iron myself.

I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do with the bottom of my bag as well. That's a ponder I've had going on for awhile.

I'd like to get the SW.

Not sure anybody's got their hands on a SW yet. I know t4k has one on order.

I'd like to get the SW.

Congrats on the purchase!

You are a week behind me on the SW purchase. I will find and link the discussion on this one in a bit, but in general here's what I found. The SW is about $20 less expensive (you can buy it new from TM for $99 shipped), easier on the eyes and incorporates the ATV technology. It looks like TM moved what I called a 'flange' from center on the ATV more toward the toe on the SW. I called TM and they said the SW would be more forgiving because it is forged; the GS rep couldn't state any differences.

Here's the link to where the discussion starts - honestly I didn't read it again and it may not be anything more than my summary above:
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...eview-Thread&p=1812754&viewfull=1#post1812754

The photos have been removed so I've pasted them again for you.

Bladez:
Spoiler

rbladez_s_sole_hero_wide.jpg

ATV:
Spoiler

ATVWedge_Sole_hero_wide.jpg

Last edited:

I'd like to get the SW.

From the pictures I've seen and details I've read they're virtually the same except for some cosmetic changes. From using the Rbladez AW I can tell you they're very nice wedges, I really like the turf interaction of the ATV sole. Then again I might be biased because I'm used to similar technology in my SCOR wedge. One thing I noticed from Tequila's pics is the Rbladez SW is 55* vs. ATV 56*, does the Rbladez SW come in different lofts?

*update* I just checked out the TM site and it looks like the wedges come in preset lofts 55* SW & 60* LW to compliment the 50* AW.

Back