NHL 2012-2013 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Supposedly, Burke was scheduled to fly to NYC for the BOG meeting so this apparently was pretty sudden.

TSN is saying now that the rumours started at the end of last season, but they we not able to dig enough up to consider it a legit story. Once the ownership change happened though, it basically made Burke as good as dead.

TSN is saying now that the rumours started at the end of last season, but they we not able to dig enough up to consider it a legit story. Once the ownership change happened though, it basically made Burke as good as dead.

I was listening to Boomer Gordon on Sirius Home Ice at lunch and he said he has heard all the rumors of Burke being gone but this shocked even him. He didnt see it coming only because of the timing.

I was listening to Boomer Gordon on Sirius Home Ice at lunch and he said he has heard all the rumors of Burke being gone but this shocked even him. He didnt see it coming only because of the timing.

That's the big question. No one has an answer for the timing.

That's the big question. No one has an answer for the timing.

The only thing it can be is Luongo. Be careful what you wish for Thainer, you just might get it.

The only thing it can be is Luongo. Be careful what you wish for Thainer, you just might get it.

Even then, it doesn't make sense. If you've had it planned for this long, why wait until today?

Damien Cox ‏@DamoSpin
Bell/Rogers are 50-50 partners. But those in the know say Bell's George Cope is clearly the lead suit. And he hated Burke.

Even then, it doesn't make sense. If you've had it planned for this long, why wait until today?

Burke obviously didnt want Luongo and the ownership does.

Nonis has been quoted in saying that he will not be selling off young assets to land a big name.

Nonis has been quoted in saying that he will not be selling off young assets to land a big name.

I think Luongo could be had for Kadri and a pick. I think alot of people are down on Kadri. I am not so sure.

I think Luongo could be had for Kadri and a pick. I think alot of people are down on Kadri. I am not so sure.

I'm one of the few guys who still has faith in Kadri. He's never going to be a number 1 center, that's not what he should be expected to be. He will be a very good second line center at some point and some where in the league.

I hate this "he doesn't match our style," bull crap coming from ownership.

I'm one of the few guys who still has faith in Kadri. He's never going to be a number 1 center, that's not what he should be expected to be. He will be a very good second line center at some point and some where in the league.

I hate this "he doesn't match our style," bull crap coming from ownership.

Problem is, Toronto has alot of 2nd and 3rd line players and no 1st line players.

Problem is, Toronto has alot of 2nd and 3rd line players and no 1st line players.

I agree with that for sure. I just think trading some of those other and older 2nd/3rd liners is a better option long-term than trading Kadri for a short-term fix. That's just my opinion though. The problem with most Leaf fans is that they expect a quick fix.

I agree with that for sure. I just think trading some of those other and older 2nd/3rd liners is a better option long-term than trading Kadri for a short-term fix. That's just my opinion though. The problem with most Leaf fans is that they expect a quick fix.

Part of that is because when Burke took the job he said they weren't going to rebuild when in reality thats what they needed.

Part of that is because when Burke took the job he said they weren't going to rebuild when in reality thats what they needed.

Think he was basically forced to say that though.

What exactly is wrong with Luongo? All he has done is put up higher than average numbers his entire career, get to game 7 of the SCF, and sign a huge contract - hardly his fault. I don't know when it became trendy to hate on Lou, but if almost any other goalie gets to game 7 of the SCF he is considered 'proven'.
As a Canucks fan I have this sinking feeling that for whatever reason we are going to regret trading him away if we do.

What exactly is wrong with Luongo? All he has done is put up higher than average numbers his entire career, get to game 7 of the SCF, and sign a huge contract - hardly his fault. I don't know when it became trendy to hate on Lou, but if almost any other goalie gets to game 7 of the SCF he is considered 'proven'.
As a Canucks fan I have this sinking feeling that for whatever reason we are going to regret trading him away if we do.

He's 33 with 10 years left on his contract. There are only 12 goalies in the league playing right now that are 33 and higher. When his contract runs out he will be 43. There are only 2 goalies in the league playing at that age.

Plus, look at his trending numbers in March and April over his career. Not great when compared to the rest of the season.

He's 33 with 10 years left on his contract. There are only 12 goalies in the league playing right now that are 33 and higher. When his contract runs out he will be 43. There are only 2 goalies in the league playing at that age.

Plus, look at his trending numbers in March and April over his career. Not great when compared to the rest of the season.

I agree with your first point, his age is a valid concern when considering if a team should add him to the roster. Yes, his numbers may dip entering the post-season but they hardly fall off the rails. His worst games are quite often a byproduct of the team in front of him forgetting how to skate. I don't remember very many games that the Canucks should have won, but lost because of Luongo.

The cap goes down next year. His contract is very high and hard to manage for many teams. I personally don't like him because of his image in the media. I'll admit he has great numbers, but is he the type of guy I want in my dressing room....based off his interviews, etc. No. I personally don't.

I agree with your first point, his age is a valid concern when considering if a team should add him to the roster. Yes, his numbers may dip entering the post-season but they hardly fall off the rails. His worst games are quite often a byproduct of the team in front of him forgetting how to skate. I don't remember very many games that the Canucks should have won, but lost because of Luongo.

There may not be very many, but there were probably two or three REALLY important ones a couple years ago.. :)

This, I agree with.

I think it's his inconsistency. For the most part, he's an elite goalie. But, he's prone to occasional blowups, perhaps more than someone with his contract should.

Oh, and calling out Tim Thomas and then getting beat by him wasn't the best move either.

Guess we can put the Burke didn't want Luongo rumour to bed

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
Luongo rumor to Toronto won't fade. Burke wanted him bad and Nonis will push as well, but Canucks insist other teams are in play.

Guess we can put the Burke didn't want Luongo rumour to bed

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
Luongo rumor to Toronto won't fade. Burke wanted him bad and Nonis will push as well, but Canucks insist other teams are in play.

Still find this whole thing funny after burke insisted reimer and co were his guys.

Still find this whole thing funny after burke insisted reimer and co were his guys.

Maybe he knew he would never get Lou. Lou basically said himself that he doesn't want to go to Toronto and would rather stay as a backup in Vancouver. Burke has to say the right things. He can't just throw his current goalies under the bus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back