Your Tin Cup Shot

JH14

Reaction score
Handicap
Tin Cup was on here the other day, just thought I'd ask if people have a particular shot on a course they play regularly that they feel they always go for?

Mine is the Par 5 15th at my home course, at the moment it's a driver 3 wood to make it in 2 but in the summer I can cover it with an iron. I almost always go for it even with the green guarded by water usually to the detriment of my score.

What's your 'Tin Cup' shot?

Honestly I don't think I have one. I play par 5's pretty cautiously

I did it at True Blue on #4. Tried to clear the water with a 5 wood 3 times, but they all went in the water. It was a bad time.

I did it at True Blue on #4. Tried to clear the water with a 5 wood 3 times, but they all went in the water. It was a bad time.

You think that's bad i lost maybe 6 or 8 balls trying to clear that dame water.

3 of the 4 par 5's at my course..
#6 is around 550 yards, huge dogleg right, uphill, water is in play if you hit drive well enough. no going for it there.
#9 is around 500, way down hill (then a bit back uphill), slight dogleg right. i've posted a HOTD video of me and Tequila4kap on this hole, i hit driver-7 iron to pin-high (missed the eagle putt by an inch).
#14 is around 470, uphill, straight away. hit a driver well enough, could be as little as an 8 iron into the green.
#18 is around 520, downhill, dogleg left. hit a good driver, at least a 4 hybo into the green. this is my tin-cup.

one time i hit a drive to about 215 out, and i was playing well and hitting the ball well that day so i figured why not, let's go for it. pulled 4 hybo, pured it. i thought i cleared the green by a mile. came up to the green, 10 foot away. the ball mark was about a foot directly in front of the flag. i don't have a clue how it held on to the green, but it did. missed the eagle putt by about 6 inches.

Honestly I don't think I have one. I play par 5's pretty cautiously
Same here I don't have one, and the par 5s at my home course have no water, so there isn't a huge risk in going for them or not.

^^^^This. I should have easily been 2up after 4 in my singles match in the MC but instead of playing it safe I decided to have a go at the water.

Sorry....haha

Mine would be at my home course #16. It is a par 5 on the card but really should be a par 4. It's roughly 430 yards or so. So a good drive can give you less then a 7 iron into the green so I usually am always going for it and getting par at worse.

#18 at my home course. Has 2 water carries on it and I used to try to carry the first one with a driver. I'm sure plenty of you could do it but it's out of my range on a controllable swing. You need 260ish carry which I can get "sometimes" but you never know if it will go straight or banana slice and end up in the drink.

Smart play is 5' off the tee, 3h over water to layup short of the second water carry and pitch to the green over the water.

I can't tell you how many balls I've lost in that water when I first started playing there because I was positive I could clear it and then hit a hybrid to the green. Never once have I actually cleared it.

Mine is a par 4 on the other course of my home club. It's 260 yards to the flag from the tee. Water all along the left side, all the way to the green. Big slope from right to left, towards the water all the way. A bunker 40 yards in front of the green. Far right has some trees, behind them OB.

Every time. Every time I pick my driver and go for the green.

Worst, about 9. Best, eagle.

18th at my course has water in front and then an island green. The first water is driveable but the smart play is play it right then over the water to lay up in front of the island green and make par. Like I said that's the "smart" play. A month ago with no one behind us we pulled a quick dozen out of the water.

While I enjoy that movie, I think they should have made one more scene. The scene that where Renne Russo realizes how stupid her reaction was when she figures out that he lost probably 1.5 million dollars by losing the US Open, not to mention the fact he threw away a 5-year exemption and thus, potentially millions upon millions more.

Dont laugh to badly at this folks, but mine is #2 hole at my home course. This hole is the bane of my existance lol. It is a measly par 3. However it is almost a twin of #17 at TPC sawgrass, you know the island green lol, the catch is you are not straight on to it. Instead you are at about 30* right of it. I either pull it left or trying to make the green I hit a bit low and have the ball roll off the back onto the rough cut around the green up against the wood around the Bank. The best I can remember doing on that hole is a 5. This is one of my goals for this year is to calm down and ignore the water and at least par it lol. Now for the worst part, it is only 150 yards from the whites, I have got to learn to ignore the water.

Mine is hole number 4 on one of my home courses. 285 yard, very narrow, drivable par 4. anything left is dead (lateral hazard), but right is a huge bailout area (another fairway, but some trees to contend with). I almost always go for it. Only made on green surface a couple of times but usually just a short pitch away.

Back in Indiana I had one.

Par 5 double dogleg. Iron of the tee to the first dogleg, then it's either down the fairway (safe play) or you can cut it across the water to the green. If the water is cut, it's about 200 out. However behind it is about 3 feet of woods, then the river. I ordinarily go for it about every time I play this hole. If for some reason that day I don't feel up to going for it, I will at least drop a "water ball" and go for it with that one.

Weird thing is, 20 years or so ago before I took up golf, my aunt played the hole this way. With the group ahead of them on the green. She got a pretty good ovation when the group noticed where she was on her shot.

I've had sort of a duplicate "Tin cup" hole on a 5 at one my local muni's but spread out over 4 weekends. Its a 5 where if you kill a good drive long enough to make the crest , the fairway then breaks down hill afterwards and if get the right bounces becomes very tempting. Water in front of green that also slopes towards the water but other than that it is pretty wide open side to side.

When I'm hitting well I am long and so it was 4 rounds in a row where i cream a beauti on this hole over the crest and it runs down to leave me with a second shot in the 220+ range. Keep in mind being down hill, the hole is lower than the fairway so plays shorter than the actual yardage. On all four ocassions was a 3iron to the green. At the time I was hitting my 3 and 4 irons very well for some magical reason. None the less, First three times was I carry the water burt hit the side slope prior to the green and bounce down into the water. Finally on the 4th (day) try and I got it on. Yippie.

But it was funny like when I was hitting the good drives that I almost felt like "no not again" LOL. "Now I'm gonna have to try again". Since carrying the water 3 times it was like I just gotta make it this time. Perhaps if never carried the water to start with I probably woulda layed up although perhaps woulda used a 5w and tried it anyway but I just dont know. But it did finally feel great to get it on. No, I didnt dive into the water lol... But i thought this is almost a "tin cup" replay but spread out over 4 rounds. was pretty funny. But never since then have i had the great drive required on the hole again close enough to present the oportunity. If i do get one again i probably gonna try it again on this #14. unless I'm on pace to get a personal best, then I'll lay up and not risk ruining a good round as I have learned to play bit smarter since then..

Yep... #7 at Meadowood GC (my home course).
Par 5 - 527 yard dog leg left.
You have to carry the ball 260 yards to clear a huge bunker on the inside corner of the dog leg to cut it.
I always go for it...

Back