TaylorMade R1 Driver Preview

Its exactly the same as before in regards to tuning, only difference is there a couple more loft choices and couple more upright lie choices and couple more face angle choices.

Might be similar in tuning but from what I've heard it sounds better and spins lower!!!! so therefore an upgrade!!

OK, I am digging further and trying to educate myself. When I was out walking 9 last week with my uncle we were discussing a few new drivers and this one came up.

He asked: how does simply adjusting a dial on the bottom of the club have any impact to the face angle?

After looking at TM's site and reading here, I am correct to presume that this dial (which does not protrude but is rather recessed per previous discussion) alters the way that the sole sits on the ground and therefore changes the face angle?

Hawk: question specific to you - I know you dialed this up to 12* which would close the face, did you also then open the face angle all the way to bring you back to a "neutral" setting.

Sorry if I missed it, I did re-read back through your posts but may have not seen it.

He asked: how does simply adjusting a dial on the bottom of the club have any impact to the face angle?

After looking at TM's site and reading here, I am correct to presume that this dial (which does not protrude but is rather recessed per previous discussion) alters the way that the sole sits on the ground and therefore changes the face angle?

Cookie - That is my understanding of how it works.

OK, I am digging further and trying to educate myself. When I was out walking 9 last week with my uncle we were discussing a few new drivers and this one came up.

Hawk: question specific to you - I know you dialed this up to 12* which would close the face, did you also then open the face angle all the way to bring you back to a "neutral" setting.

Sorry if I missed it, I did re-read back through your posts but may have not seen it.

There are a number of settings on the dial - from way open to way closed. Once you set it in a position you prefer, you don't need to change the setting along with any future loft adjustments. The two are independent of each other. That's why I say that the dial is simpler than it looks. You already know what you like to look at, so set it and forget it :D

Bascially, when you sole the club the dial causes the club to move into whatever position it is that you prefer. It does work visually. I can sit there with a very closed face, put it on the ground, and it looks square to my eyes.

There are a number of settings on the dial - from way open to way closed. Once you set it in a position you prefer, you don't need to change the setting along with any future loft adjustments. The two are independent of each other. That's why I say that the dial is simpler than it looks. You already know what you like to look at, so set it and forget it :D

Bascially, when you sole the club the dial causes the club to move into whatever position it is that you prefer. It does work visually. I can sit there with a very closed face, put it on the ground, and it looks square to my eyes.

Trying to wrap my logical brain around "Once you set it in a position you prefer, you don't need to change the setting along with any future loft adjustments."

At 10* loft, the face angle is neutral

At 12* loft, the face is closed 4* so I then must open the face angle 3* to get it basically back to neutral

If I then "set it and forget it" with the face angle 3* open and tune the loft back down to 8*, I would end up with a face that is 4* open

With all that said, I am confused about set it and forget it because if you have the face angle really open at 12* it is a square setup BUT that same face angle really open at 8* results in a very open club face

I got all of these numbers just from playing with the configurator on their site. I must be still missing something or just not understanding.

Ok, here's something you could do. Take your driver and let it sit on the ground. Take a look at how the face angle looks to you. Now, take a cough drop or a piece of Trident or something else small and put it under there. Now, look at how the driver lays to a side and how that affects what you are seeing visually.

I think the point of the dial is to give the appearance of a neutral face after grounding the club, rather than performing a function that truly brings the face back to a certain angle. It's there to please the eyes.

Trying to wrap my logical brain around "Once you set it in a position you prefer, you don't need to change the setting along with any future loft adjustments."

At 10* loft, the face angle is neutral

At 12* loft, the face is closed 4* so I then must open the face angle 3* to get it basically back to neutral

If I then "set it and forget it" with the face angle 3* open and tune the loft back down to 8*, I would end up with a face that is 4* open

With all that said, I am confused about set it and forget it because if you have the face angle really open at 12* it is a square setup BUT that same face angle really open at 8* results in a very open club face

I got all of these numbers just from playing with the configurator on their site. I must be still missing something or just not understanding.

I'm with you there cookie......I believe if you open the face to say 8* now face angle is 4* open.......you'd have to set the compass back to closed to the "effect" of neutral face.......I think.....ugh

I'll try to shoot a little video tonight.

Ok, here's something you could do. Take your driver and let it sit on the ground. Take a look at how the face angle looks to you. Now, take a cough drop or a piece of Trident or something else small and put it under there. Now, look at how the driver lays to a side and how that affects what you are seeing visually.

I think the point of the dial is to give the appearance of a neutral face after grounding the club, rather than performing a function that truly brings the face back to a certain angle. It's there to please the eyes.

But if the dial changes the way the club sits (no longer way open or closed), is that not effectively changing the face angle?

Having a hard time with thinking that it gives just an appearance to the naked eye that is really not there. You could do this manually with your setup and if you maintain that open or closed throughout the swing it will affect the shot.

I think maybe we disagree about whether the face angle is just an illusion thing or really impacts what will happen at impact.

Those are things I've wondered as well, Cookie, but I don't have an answer for them.

This sort of hinges a little on the belief that the loft settings (open vs neutral vs closed) have less effect on directional ball flight than weighting changes.

One thing that I keep going back to is on the TM site with the R1. It says, "select your preferred look at address" and shows the dial on the bottom. Doesnt seem to say that it is changing the face angle.

Cool, understood - thanks for the dialogue!

Anxious to get this out there and have a little fun with 10* loft at extreme face angles to see what is actually happening. Endless possibilities seemingly and assuming the shaft is a good fit, there is zero reason not to get dialed in with this beast. I really liked the RIP Phenom in the R11S so I have no apprehension there.

One thing that I keep going back to is on the TM site with the R1. It says, "select your preferred look at address" and shows the dial on the bottom. Doesnt seem to say that it is changing the face angle.

It does definitely say that, but then when using the configurator and adjusting settings it tells you the loft and face angle result from that change. That implies to me that it is being changed. Confused! ha

LOL - this is so deep really. Headache inducing. Not saying that as a slight on you, Cookie. Like I said, these thougths have been going around my head for days. Really, the Cobra gear is the same, but they have a sole that is designed to deliver the same result. It doesn't move and neither does the dial, unless you unscrew it and make it move.

Personally, I'm grounding the club, getting the look I like, and then hovering like I always do right before I take it away.

Another thing I think I have noticed from the pictures on the TaylorMade website is that it looks like the shaft graphics repeat around the shaft (almost like a band) and that the grip doesn't appear to have any alignment or logoing graphics on it. In both cases, this would be a "solution" to my pet peeve about the shaft being rotated to change the loft settings.

Another thing I think I have noticed from the pictures on the TaylorMade website is that it looks like the shaft graphics repeat around the shaft (almost like a band) and that the grip doesn't appear to have any alignment or logoing graphics on it. In both cases, this would be a "solution" to my pet peeve about the shaft being rotated to change the loft settings.

You know, I haven't paid much attention to the grip. You are correct on the shaft for the most part. One side says R1 and the other says Aldila Rip blahblah.

You know, I haven't paid much attention to the grip. You are correct on the shaft for the most part. One side says R1 and the other says Aldila Rip blahblah.

If I'm not mistaken, the grip is the "360" grip which I think would imply it's designed so that it can be rotated and there is no graphic to throw it off.

Has anyone gone through the videos of setting up the club? I just went through it with my current ball flight in mind. Having never had a Driver that can be adjusted I'm a little intrigued by all the options. I was able to go into Golf Galaxy tonight to try to figure out which shaft flex would fit me best. This is going to be a blast.

Has anyone gone through the videos of setting up the club? I just went through it with my current ball flight in mind. Having never had a Driver that can be adjusted I'm a little intrigued by all the options. I was able to go into Golf Galaxy tonight to try to figure out which shaft flex would fit me best. This is going to be a blast.

Think Taylormade released an app if you have Apple or Android products. I'm not 100% if it shows everything because it's not available in Canada.

Yes, I have. The adjustability placed into this is incredible. Even though I think I can quickly dial it into my "preferred" setting, I am going to do a ton of tinkering to see what impact it has.

I can't wait... Lots if video!

I think one of my first steps will kill 2.5 birds with one stone. I want to compare the R11s to the R1 on stock settings to see 1) How the driver has improved if any, over the R11s, 2) How much a mere half degree will change things, and 3) I want to try to capture the sound of both on video for comparison's sake.

Thanks to THP and Taylormade again. What a blessing. I started using TM drivers with the '09 Burner. I've since had the Burner Superfast TP, R11, and R11s. It'll be cool to continue the progression.

I'm happy that this driver is 460cc. I'm not sure if that's exactly what I liked so much better about the R11s over the R11, but glad that the R1 is the same size as my R11s.

R1

R1

The Sainted Wife got me a new stick from her work for a screaming deal (under $150 shhhh). Going hit the range later today with it, I will report back later.

Cheers,
Wingnut

P1170138_zpsf2f17d07.jpg

Did it "fall off a truck"?? for $150 Damn!

dayum. I am super jealous!!!!

Back