TaylorMade RocketBladez - Review Thread

Great post and welcome to the forum. How would you compare the ball flight of the rocketbladez and your old mizzys? Higher? More/less ballooning? Dispersion?

The flight of the Rocketbladez is definitely higher but I wouldn't say it balloons up by any means. It seems to really attack the air on its way up there too so I'll be interested to see how they go in the strong winds!

As for dispersion, I must say I'm very impressed with the consistency I'm finding distance-wise. Unless of course I completely spaff the shot badly the ball is still going to get right up towards my target. With regard to how accurate the shots are, I can't complain at all. There is of course still some adjustment I have to make to get used to the clubs and to continue to develop the consistency of my swing in general, but 9/10 of the shots I hit have a great shape to them and the accuracy afforded by these clubs puts a big smile on my face. If I could replicate my dispersion on the range to the course I would be a very happy chappy!

Welcome Hinchyhoooo. Great write up, very interesting.
Am sure that when you get out on the course you will be fine, the interesting thing with these, and as I found with my RocketBallZ is that they come down and stop pretty quick. So once your course has thawed remember to take that into account!!!
As you say this weather is frustrating, I have managed 4 or 5 rounds this year in the rain and wet, but most courses round me are now frozen solid and waiting to be buried!

The flight of the Rocketbladez is definitely higher but I wouldn't say it balloons up by any means. It seems to really attack the air on its way up there too so I'll be interested to see how they go in the strong winds!

As for dispersion, I must say I'm very impressed with the consistency I'm finding distance-wise. Unless of course I completely spaff the shot badly the ball is still going to get right up towards my target. With regard to how accurate the shots are, I can't complain at all. There is of course still some adjustment I have to make to get used to the clubs and to continue to develop the consistency of my swing in general, but 9/10 of the shots I hit have a great shape to them and the accuracy afforded by these clubs puts a big smile on my face. If I could replicate my dispersion on the range to the course I would be a very happy chappy!

Great write up Hinchyhoo - similar to my experience with them. Welcome to THP! (Have you seen the thread 'Calling all UK based hackers'? would be great to see the clubs in action!)

I got my fitted rocketbladez in last week. I took them to the range once and played 1 round on sunday with them. I got them 1/2 an inch shorter than normal and +2 degrees on the lie angle. I've never had custom fit irons before but I did play better! I wasn't so great on the front 9 but I guess maybe I was just getting used to the clubs. I shot +8 on the back 9 of a par 37.

Glad to hear it, Jody. How were you liking your ball flight?

Anyone have these irons with True Temper S300? If yes, is the Ball flight lower than KBS 90?

Anyone have these irons with True Temper S300? If yes, is the Ball flight lower than KBS 90?

Not that I'm aware of.

Are you sure you need to bring the ball flight down? While the ball does fly high many of us have found that flight pattern to be very favorable - high and penetrating until it reaches its apex then coming down. This has contributed to the longer irons hitting balls that are very easy to stop on greens. I think most of us have seen positive results in the wind, too.

FWIW, the stock shafts are flighted. I am not 100% certain but don't think the KBS shafts are flighted.

Thinking I might pull the trigger and join this thread for real this evening (well, this evening plus shipping). Small deal on a 5-PW, AW set. Figure the downside is minimal since I imagine I'd be able to recoup most of my money if the experiment goes horribly wrong (or, more likely, I get tempted by the new 588 series).

Decisions, decisions...

Not that I'm aware of.

Are you sure you need to bring the ball flight down? While the ball does fly high many of us have found that flight pattern to be very favorable - high and penetrating until it reaches its apex then coming down. This has contributed to the longer irons hitting balls that are very easy to stop on greens. I think most of us have seen positive results in the wind, too.

FWIW, the stock shafts are flighted. I am not 100% certain but don't think the KBS shafts are flighted.

You're probably right. It's just the visual thing for me although the numbers would be better than my current irons. I'm just really used to S300's so I thought I'd ask.

I have x100 in mine they are close to s300 the ball flight should be slighty lower but these irons are made to launch with a high penetrating flight and come down soft

Thinking I might pull the trigger and join this thread for real this evening (well, this evening plus shipping). Small deal on a 5-PW, AW set. Figure the downside is minimal since I imagine I'd be able to recoup most of my money if the experiment goes horribly wrong (or, more likely, I get tempted by the new 588 series).

Decisions, decisions...

I posted earlier and I'll say it again, consider kingdom59.com....they were running them for $729 yesterday. Lowest price I've seen - aside from ebay....

I posted earlier and I'll say it again, consider kingdom59.com....they were running them for $729 yesterday. Lowest price I've seen - aside from ebay....

I actually just put that up in the Deal of the Day thread (perhaps duplicating your efforts), but that's where I was going to purchase them. $629.00 for the 7 piece (5-PW, AW) set. Pretty nice little offer for clubs that are brand-spankin' new.

I do not but my previous irons had them and the rocketfuel shafts are a bit lighter. Very similar performance though, nothing startlingly different

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

I do not but my previous irons had them and the rocketfuel shafts are a bit lighter. Very similar performance though, nothing startlingly different

I wish my local shop had these irons in different shafts. I want to get them fit properly if/when I purchase these!

I wish my local shop had these irons in different shafts. I want to get them fit properly if/when I purchase these!

If they have the fitting cart the Rocketballz are very similar

If they have the fitting cart the Rocketballz are very similar

Disagree as well. I tried out the rocketballz at the Atlantic City van stop last fall and hated them.

I don't agree with that at all haha

TapaTalk from the iPhone

I had Rocketballz before the Bladez in terms of ball flight and distance with the 7 iron for fitting they are very close

There is a big diffrance with the 4 & 5 iron interms of distance and launch but 6-pw are similar i found that the unsloted iron are almost the same
Now with the slot the Rbladez are much more accurate

I had Rocketballz before the Bladez in terms of ball flight and distance with the 7 iron for fitting they are very close

There is a big diffrance with the 4 & 5 iron interms of distance and launch but 6-pw are similar i found that the unsloted iron are almost the same
Now with the slot the Rbladez are much more accurate

I think feel is way different as are looks. I can't really comment on distance because I didn't hit them much. I just remember hating those and I love the Rbladez

TapaTalk from the iPhone

I think feel is way different as are looks. I can't really comment on distance because I didn't hit them much. I just remember hating those and I love the Rbladez

TapaTalk from the iPhone

But for the purpose of trying and being fit with diffrent shafts they will work and give you a idea of what you are ordering

TapaTalk from the iPhone

I hated the turf interaction I got with the rocketballz. I hit a lot of fat shots and a lot of shots that the club bounced and caused a thin shot. There was just no consistency for me with them.

But for the purpose of trying and being fit with diffrent shafts they will work and give you a idea of what you are ordering

If we are talking shafts I would think a mizuno shaft optimizer would do fine

TapaTalk from the iPhone

I can't compare the two but I have the XP S300 shafts and I get a high shot that pretty much stops on the green within 2ft of where it hit. Wouldn't change a thing.

I just want to give some feedback about these irons. I played my first round today with the rbladz irons on a course that is 6563 yards from the tips ( I played the white tees at 6071). The weather was clear skies and about 68 degrees this morning with a W wind about 10-15. My best score on a par 72 course is 79, but lately I've been around 96-105. My iron game has been lacking. Anyways I played some of the best golf I've played in years. I ended up with an 86 on this par 72 course. I shot a 42 on the front and a 44 on the back. I was hitting my driver really well today, but these irons are mainly responsible for today's round. I played every iron except for the 4 iron and PW. These irons are great when struck dead center and I had my fair share of pure iron shots today, but what really impressed me was the thin shots with these irons. I hit a few low on the face thinking I would not get a very good result, but these irons proved me wrong. Shots low on the face still have a high, but penetrating trajectory only slightly shorter yardage. I have never hit a 5 iron so high with little effort. I also had success with the AW around the greens and with half-swing shots from 60-80 yards. I also noticed my yardages were very consistent between each club (slotted and non-slotted). I also noticed that hitting into the wind did not cause the ball to balloon. It just went through it. I am extremely pleased with the forgiveness and performance of these irons. I can't wait until my next round.

@ bunkerville - great report, love it. These are fun clubs to play, aren't they? Glad to see you are enjoying them and they did you solid!

Back