Ball alignment on the green? Line vs. no line...

I also use a line on the ball, it helps me on the greens after I have my read getting it going in the right direction

I always check the green from both sides of the hole, then I guess the ball path and always align my putter face first and setup body according to the putter face, that's how Make more putts

I've been using a line that goes all the way around but I'm really debating if I should use a line at all.
My putting routine is look down the line of my putt, walk up it, then putt my ball down with the line. What I've noticed is that after I put my ball down, I stand up to see if my line is correct on my ball. 30% of the time it's not. Don't know why it's off sometimes.
I'm going to play this weekend without the line.

I've been using a line that goes all the way around but I'm really debating if I should use a line at all.
My putting routine is look down the line of my putt, walk up it, then putt my ball down with the line. What I've noticed is that after I put my ball down, I stand up to see if my line is correct on my ball. 30% of the time it's not. Don't know why it's off sometimes.
I'm going to play this weekend without the line.

Dude you made it so easy for me with that belly putter you gave me, I set up he face alignment and sometimes I just guess that's how accurate that sucker
Is, heck my golf partners are always amazed at how easy it is for me to make putts usually on the first try, I've sunk a few 50 footers, 10 footers and.1 or less just as easy.

How many do not use any visual help when putting?

I don't draw any lines on my balls, and I always turn the ball so that I can't see any markings. Anyone else prefer this method? I find it disturbing to see too many things to align, I trust my putter and align the putter face to where I'm aiming at.

Thoughts on this?

I am like you on this Castor. I do not like to use anything on the ball. I find it distracting.

Dude you made it so easy for me with that belly putter you gave me, I set up he face alignment and sometimes I just guess that's how accurate that sucker
Is, heck my golf partners are always amazed at how easy it is for me to make putts usually on the first try, I've sunk a few 50 footers, 10 footers and.1 or less just as easy.

That's awesome Uriel! Seems like that putter suits you better than it ever did for me.

That's awesome Uriel! Seems like that putter suits you better than it ever did for me.

Yeah man, you've made my putting easy, it's so easy to align and sink those putts now man, and dang I'm so much more consistent at putting than before. My new putting routine with this thing works

Last edited:
I do exactly the same as you do still 3 putt to often HA HA HA .

I use the alignment aide provided......set it up to where I initially think the break is.....then, when I back up and resight, I make a mental note on the angle of the alignment, rather than remark and realign....ans setup with that in mind....then drop the bomb!

I use the line inside 10'-12', otherwise I use the name and number facing me.

I think that would mess with me. The name and number facing me would make me read them and not focus haha. Cool that it works for you though.

I used to use the alignment aid on the ball but realized it was not helping me. My # of putts was increasing per round and who wants that?
Then I saw Dave Stockton on some Golf Channel show and he was talking about being more natural with your putting routine. No practice swings, just get behind the ball, see the line, take your stance and hit it. No standing over it too long either.
Started doing exactly that and my # of putts per round dropped dramatically. Even had one round with 27 putts total, lowest ever.
So yeah, I'm now a Stockton follower on this.

I used to use the alignment aid on the ball but realized it was not helping me. My # of putts was increasing per round and who wants that?
Then I saw Dave Stockton on some Golf Channel show and he was talking about being more natural with your putting routine. No practice swings, just get behind the ball, see the line, take your stance and hit it. No standing over it too long either.
Started doing exactly that and my # of putts per round dropped dramatically. Even had one round with 27 putts total, lowest ever.
So yeah, I'm now a Stockton follower on this.

That's awesome, I don't even bother with the ball alignment aid it's to complicated that way haha

I like using the alignment aid. For me it's a part of my routine.

I use the markings on the ball on longer putts only.

I play a Bridgestone e6 which has a long straight arrow icon on the side so I find I don't really need to draw anything on the ball. I use that alignment tool on longer putts where it's potentially more important to get the pace of the ball right and by doing that I can focus on pace alone because I know I have already lined the ball up.

On shorter putt's I rarely line the ball up, I've found it's of no benefit to me at all and I just go with the feel in general.

Serves me well as putting is probably the one part of my game I am not overly worried about.

I've tried using markings on the ball, but it didn't seem to really help my putting a whole lot. The one area it did improve a bit was long range putts but enough for me to stick with it.

Each to their own! Putting is very unique and specific to the individual. As long as it works for you keep doing it, whatever method it is!

I don't like having any Sharpie marks on my ball and will only use the alignment aid on the ball itself if I have to mark the ball and pick it up if it is in someone's line or there is a chunk of dirt on it. I don't really think it helps all that much for me.

I don't often use any markings to line up putts. I may use them most on short firm putts, call it 4' and in.

Longer putts, I just can't get the line exactly aimed where I want to hit the putt, if that makes any sense. Then I stand up to the putt, the alignment aid doesn't line up...and I'm a mess. I'm usually better off picking a spot in front of the ball and hitting it there on putts of any length.

I used to line up the name of the ball but now I place it down so I can't see anything but blank ball. Frequent poor placement would mess me up no matter how hard I tried to et it right. My conclusion was that I use the line on the top of the putter, set up square to my intended line and let feel take over. Definitely is a quicker setup and I think it's making me a better putter. I go with the "see the line, putt the line" mantra.

I like as much white as possible staring back up at me when I putt. I used to put a line on the ball, but found that I was obsessing too much over it, so I dropped it and moved to a two-ball putter. :D Putter's long since gone but the habit remains. Just feels more natural to me.

Each to their own! Putting is very unique and specific to the individual. As long as it works for you keep doing it, whatever method it is!

This goes without question.

How many do not use any visual help when putting?

I don't draw any lines on my balls, and I always turn the ball so that I can't see any markings. Anyone else prefer this method? I find it disturbing to see too many things to align, I trust my putter and align the putter face to where I'm aiming at.

Thoughts on this?
I'm just like you in this regard. I think having markings on my ball seen at address is distracting. I tried using a line on my ball for a short time but I found it nearly impossible to line the line on the ball up with where I want to aim.

I draw a line on my ball and line up my putt while crouched behind my intended line. When I set up to the ball, its just a matter of lining up the line on the putter with the line on the ball. Takes all of the alignment thoughts out of my head and allows me to focus on making my stroke.

I draw a line on my ball and line up my putt while crouched behind my intended line. When I set up to the ball, its just a matter of lining up the line on the putter with the line on the ball. Takes all of the alignment thoughts out of my head and allows me to focus on making my stroke.

What do you do if you line up the ball based on what you see and then when you address the ball you feel more break under your feet than what you saw? Do you start over, adjust your grip, adjust the full alignment or just let 'er rip regardless?

I myself prefer nothing showing on the ball, whether on the green or the tee box. Have tried it on the greens, but seems to me it is just something more to look at and affects my imaginable line I've drawn in my head.

Back