Cleveland Mashie Fairway Wood Review

Played 9 holes today and used the mashie instead of driver. When I hit it really well, it went really far. Really loving this club right now. Hopefully, I can play again tomorrow.

Glad its working for you. I really like mine. So much that I just picked up an F5. :p

I had a chance to get the F5 out on the course over the weekend. Results were mixed I guess. Never really had problems with contact, but I did put some stinky pull hook swings on it. That's on me though.

Hit maybe my best fairway wood shot ever with it though. I took aim at a green from some light rough at 220 yards and actually hit the damn thing on the fly. It bounced off thanks to the freezing temps, but in normal conditions I do think I would have been putting.

I let OG hit my F3 one day and he flew over the green with it. He was shocked at how well he hit it. A few days later he was looking online at them. I told him to just keep mine and I would go back to hitting my FL 3 wood. Since then, he hasn't had the same success with it and has given it back to me. He has never liked fairway woods though so it's no reflection on it. Maybe he will try it again once the grass comes back out. I'm having mixed results with both of my 3 woods right now and usually hit them well. I'm hoping it's just the dormant grass too. :)

Anyone? I played 18 on Saturday and just could not hit my F5 and M3&4 of the ground and light rough, the club heads are kind of small and did not inspire confidence.. I f they were white I think they would look bigger to me and I might do much better.. I looked at RBZ 4 Tour Hybrid and 5 tour FW in GS and the shape and them being white looked awesome and bigger to my eye..

Anyone painted their Mashie woods? If so please post some pics. If I am going to keep the Mashies F5 i want paint them white like TM RBZ. thank you all!

I found a thread but those pics are gone!

Sorry, I haven't seen or talked to anybody that did it.

Sorry, I haven't seen or talked to anybody that did it.

Thanks Hawk.. Maybe I will the first one. hahaha. You know, I also think with shaft being 60 something grams on these hybrids and woods on mashie stock, I feel like I am overswinging it. Same with the Classic driver I got with 43S shaft compared to 75grams V2 I put in my Ping G15 10.5 driver.. I feel with heavier shaft I am more composed and tempo is more controlled. Maybe that is the issue, low weight shafts for me on Mashies

Anyone? I played 18 on Saturday and just could not hit my F5 and M3&4 of the ground and light rough, the club heads are kind of small and did not inspire confidence.. I f they were white I think they would look bigger to me and I might do much better.. I looked at RBZ 4 Tour Hybrid and 5 tour FW in GS and the shape and them being white looked awesome and bigger to my eye..

I have hit both the Cleveland and TaylorMade fairway woods and have come to the same conclusion. You're either a fairway wood person or a hybrid person. The TaylorMade fairways have larger heads so if that is what you are looking for, it may fit your game.

gcruz, I'm just the opposite of you. I'm loving this club off the tee. I seldom hit driver and the ball flight for me is a lot more consistent with this one than with my old 3W. Pretty darn straight. I'm not good at hitting it off the deck so much. When I do get a good strike though, it flies really well. I know it's me, I just need to practice with it some more. I'll be getting a round here this afternoon with it. Supposed to be right at 70deg here in KC!!

Took the F3 out this weekend and pitted it against the new crop of clubs. For all of the talk about distance in the new offerings, I thought the F3 held it's own pretty well. There were some that wer longer, but not by much, and the ones that were definitely suffered in the accuracy department. Hopefully this weekend did hammer one thing home for me. This club requires a smooth swing for me to get the best results. If I step on it, I end up pulling or slicing the ball. I might ponder shafts for the F3, but that would be it. Barring the Classic XL 3W blowing my mind, I think that this will be my gamer for the '13 season. I already know that the F5 is locked in.

Got out with my F3 this weekend, walked 9 holes with only a few clubs F3, M4, 6i, SW, niblick42*, and putter. I do this in the winter to test clubs and I have always enjoyed playing with fewer clubs. The main thing I was testing was the F3 off the tee. It was good for me off the tee hit all 7 fairways was of course shorter than where my driver normly would have me playing from. The highlight was a 234 yard drive from an elevated tee box on a par 5, that was by far the longest drive of the day. I am not a long hitter by any measure but my distances were 207, 205, 197, 234, 198, 211, 202 for an average of 207. Not bad, would like to try the TF3 as I'm not sure I can hit it from the fairway. I am more of a hybrid player. I did notice that I hit a draw with this club and hit the ball rather high for me, curious if I could have gone with a stiff shaft.

I got a F3, F7, and M4 last week & put them into play the past few days in Orlando. Wow..great clubs. I love the distance and they are very easy to hit.

Just got my F3 reshafted in a PX 6.0 (OG Blue) back. Definitely feels much more stout than the stock Miya. Didn't get to take any swings due to my schedule today, but plan to get out at least once this weekend. I think this thing is going to be a mean machine off the tee! I'll post pics when I get home.

I've been struggling with both my Mashie fairways and don't understand it as that is usually a strength for me. I keep topping them! Watched a swing tip video last night and got a couple tips. I'm probably trying to hit it too hard. Will go back out there tomorrow and swing easier. I hit them just fine on the range before I played yesterday.

I've been struggling with both my Mashie fairways and don't understand it as that is usually a strength for me. I keep topping them! Watched a swing tip video last night and got a couple tips. I'm probably trying to hit it too hard. Will go back out there tomorrow and swing easier. I hit them just fine on the range before I played yesterday.

KB, that is my main miss with the F3 off the deck and it is definitely from me trying to kill the ball. To combat this, I try to think of smooth, solid contact. When I'm successful, I'm usually rewarded with plenty of distance! Keep at it!

I've played several rounds with the F3 and it's been a dream. Since my course isn't very long and I'm still having issue with the driver, I mostly use it off the tee. I've been getting really good distances and hitting more fairways with it. I really haven't been using it off the fairways because I hit my 3 hybrid better.

F3 with the new PX 6.0. Sorry about the crappy lighting.

IMG_0809_zps48f925f3.jpg

IMG_0808_zps51352b90.jpg

KB, that is my main miss with the F3 off the deck and it is definitely from me trying to kill the ball. To combat this, I try to think of smooth, solid contact. When I'm successful, I'm usually rewarded with plenty of distance! Keep at it!

Thanks Jon! I usually have a pretty smooth tempo but I know FWs will definitely make you swing harder. I'm hoping that will fix it for me. BTW, your new shafts/grips look great! Loving the blue.

Thanks Jon! I usually have a pretty smooth tempo but I know FWs will definitely make you swing harder. I'm hoping that will fix it for me. BTW, your new shafts/grips look great! Loving the blue.

Thanks! Me too. Lighting in the photo doesn't do it justice. I'll be putting the same grips on my J40 Hybrids as well. Just looks sharp.

Thanks! Me too. Lighting in the photo doesn't do it justice. I'll be putting the same grips on my J40 Hybrids as well. Just looks sharp.

LOVE your blue shafts and grips! I might have to get me some of those grips for this season.

Looks great.
What didn't you like about the other shaft in your F3?

Looks great.
What didn't you like about the other shaft in your F3?

Nothing specific. Miya makes a great shaft obviously. I really liked the feel of the PX 6.0 in my hybrids, and when I've hit them before in drivers. I'm expecting the most benefit off the tee. This should play a bit stiffer and give me a little lower ball flight with less spin (per my fitter). Found a great deal on a couple online. I like to tinker and it was a cheap experiment.

Nothing specific. Miya makes a great shaft obviously. I really liked the feel of the PX 6.0 in my hybrids, and when I've hit them before in drivers. I'm expecting the most benefit off the tee. This should play a bit stiffer and give me a little lower ball flight with less spin (per my fitter). Found a great deal on a couple online. I like to tinker and it was a cheap experiment.

Thanks, I was curious. I bought a new F3 stiff yesterday.

Thanks, I was curious. I bought a new F3 stiff yesterday.

Which is an excellent purchase! Love all of these clubs.

I also forgot to add that my fitter said that the heavier weight would help as I tend to get a little aggressive when I go after it. Said the same thing about my driver shaft too.

Which is an excellent purchase! Love all of these clubs.

I also forgot to add that my fitter said that the heavier weight would help as I tend to get a little aggressive when I go after it. Said the same thing about my driver shaft too.

Thanks for the information Jon.

Finally got out with the F3 today. Only hit it off the deck at the range, but got a couple tee shots off with it on the course. On the range, it was cold and I was stiff. A bunch of low shots. Can't pass judgement on that part yet. I will say that there is nothing to not like about the PX 6.0, F3 combo off the tee. Both shots were absolutely smoked. Flight was a little higher than I expected TBH, but it didn't cost distance at all. I was hitting it just as far in the cold as I do normally in the summer. The second one I went after a bit more and the results were still good. Nice flight with a little draw on the end of it. I'm impressed so far!

Back