Five-Piece TaylorMade Penta Golf Ball Hits PGA Tour

BigLeftyinAZ

Reaction score
6a00d8341caaef53ef0120a4cd9045970b-320wi

Sergio Garcia and Retief Goosen plan to use TaylorMade's new five-piece golf ball, the Penta TP, at next week's PGA Championship at Hazeltine.

The ball, which took three years to develop, won't be available to the public until Dec. 1. It is golf’s first five-piece ball, and according to TaylorMade officials, was added to the USGA’s conforming ball list on Wednesday.

The goal for the Penta was to optimize its performance in five key areas: with the driver, long-irons, middle irons, short irons and partial wedge shots. (Get it? "Penta," five.)

The cover of the Penta TP is made of a soft urethane material to promote a high-spin rate, but lower trajectory on wedge shots and pitches for more control. The outer mantle layer, which can be found directly under the white cover, is the most-easily compressed. Of the three mantle layers in the Penta TP, it's the fastest, and TaylorMade says it is designed to create optimal spin and flight conditions when ball speeds are below 120 mph (short irons for tour pros).

The middle mantle layer is semi-firm, and TaylorMade designed it to be compressible on shots with a ball speed between 120 and 140 mph (mid-irons). According to a TaylorMade memo, the inner mantle is designed to create high-launching, low-spinning shots with a ball speed between 140 and 160 mph (long irons).

Encased under all those layers is the core, which is made from an extremely fast, low-compression material that only the fastest swingers will be able to activate. However, TaylorMade says those who do can expect more ball speed and less spin on drives for increased distance.

TaylorMade expects the Penta TP to be widely used by its Tour staff players, and the ball has not only been tested by Garcia and Goosen, but also by Dustin Johnson, Jason Day and Justin Rose. But TaylorMade says the ball should also appeal to slower-swinging players and a wide range of amateurs because it has been designed to increase ball speed (for more distance) and provide feel around the greens.

by David Dusek

Looks like a cool ball. Will it be $50+/dz?

Biglefty, Please post the link to where the article came from.

The Penta has actually been used on tour by quite a few already.

I especially love this part:

"Encased under all those layers is the core, which is made from an extremely fast, low-compression material that only the fastest swingers will be able to activate. However, TaylorMade says those who do can expect more ball speed and less spin on drives for increased distance."

This is exactly what the Tour needs - more distance.

I mean look at yesterday's final round at Firestone. Only one lousy player hit a drive over 400 yards! Can you imagine - only one guy out of 79 players?

Hell, Tiger himself could only average a measly 312 all day!

If they don't get a longer ball out there soon, these guys may have start using Pitching Wedges or even 9-irons just to reach par 4 greens. I mean, come on! Or how would it be if the pro's had to get used to reaching a par 5 in three shots? Can you imagine the shame and embarrassment they'd have to deal with?

All I can say is that a longer distance golf ball for the pro's couldn't have arrived at a better time!

-JP

Did you expect the companies to not make a ball to counteract the groove rules?

TaylorMade expects the Penta TP to be widely used by its Tour staff players, and the ball has not only been tested by Garcia and Goosen, but also by Dustin Johnson, Jason Day and Justin Rose. But TaylorMade says the ball should also appeal to slower-swinging players and a wide range of amateurs because it has been designed to increase ball speed (for more distance) and provide feel around the greens.

Ahh the hook for all those out there who want one like the tour players use

Did you expect the companies to not make a ball to counteract the groove rules?

If it's all the same to you JB, I just as soon not get into another "grooves" thread right now. :D

-JP

If it's all the same to you JB, I just as soon not get into another "grooves" thread right now. :D

-JP

yeah, I think bstoner is still waiting for your response on that one, as well as Don White, and Hot Stix.

Just saw my Taylor made rep today and it is going to replace the tp black in their line up and he doesn't think that the ball will not be out until after the first of the year. Sales meeting is next week and he will know more than. The ball will reatil for $48/dozen.

I swear that I have found one of these on a golf course here in Tucson. I remember the Penta label on the side, but didn't know what it was. I thought perhaps it was some low priced ball in TM's stable. I am gonna have to prowl through my shag bag, I know its still in there. I don't remember where I found it, but I know I have one of these. Wonder if it was a sample given to a club pro to try out and he lost it??? Strange.

Just saw my Taylor made rep today and it is going to replace the tp black in their line up and he doesn't think that the ball will not be out until after the first of the year. Sales meeting is next week and he will know more than. The ball will reatil for $48/dozen.

Knight that is close to what we are hearing. I will have the ball in hands this Friday or Saturday from TM. However we are told that they are pushing for 11/1 as a release if testings continue to go well.

I swear that I have found one of these on a golf course here in Tucson. I remember the Penta label on the side, but didn't know what it was. I thought perhaps it was some low priced ball in TM's stable. I am gonna have to prowl through my shag bag, I know its still in there. I don't remember where I found it, but I know I have one of these. Wonder if it was a sample given to a club pro to try out and he lost it??? Strange.

It would be from a Tour player then, because they are not in the hands of reps or media yet.

It would be from a Tour player then, because they are not in the hands of reps or media yet.

In that case, I reallly gotta get in my shag bag and see if I can find the thing. Perhaps a tour pro gave one to somebody and he lost it?

Interesting.

"Encased under all those layers is the core, which is made from an extremely fast, low-compression material that only the fastest swingers will be able to activate. However, TaylorMade says those who do can expect more ball speed and less spin on drives for increased distance.,

"But TaylorMade says the ball should also appeal to slower-swinging players and a wide range of amateurs because it has been designed to increase ball speed (for more distance) and provide feel around the greens."

What happens when a slow swing does not activate that core? What would that mean? :confused2:

In my opinion it would mean that they would just lose some distance, however that would be the case with a 3-4 piece ball. most amateurs do not activate the core yet continue to play Pro V1s, etc... It does not effect it too much is what everybody playing tour balls seems to think.

Back