Have you had a lesson? Why/Why Not?

Diane
It's wonderfull that you recognize the true wisdom you receive when living in Kansas.It's surprizing to me that the dali llama doesn't reside here.

One of my closest friends moved to Lawrence a couple of years ago and keeps telling me how wonderful KS is. I keep thinking she drank the kool-aid though.

I am going in for an hour long lesson with a new pro I meet. I go in Monday morning for a once over. I am hoping this is a guy that I can keep going back to. I need someone that can keep me in shape and get me to the next level with my game. I will let you know how it goes afterwards.

It's pretty cool to see a teaching pro taking lessons. Proves that us regular golfers should do so as well..

It's pretty cool to see a teaching pro taking lessons. Proves that us regular golfers should do so as well..

I think most who still play (especially competitively) do take lessons. I know mine does. Not as often as us hacks, but whenever he thinks he needs to work on something, or even when he and his instructor happen to have a schedule that matches.

I did the PGA Free Lesson last year but haven't done anything since. Even with just the 15-20 minutes it improved my swing. Definitly need to take some more, might could even turn pro like the guy in the ping commercials! :)

Why you should take a lesson: a good teaching pro always has another way to go at a problem.

I've been struggling with my spine angle all season. Nothing was working. In fact, I've been losing distance and developing a slice. Done all the drills, nothing. Poor Diane had to put up with this last weekend. I was ready to toss it all in by the time I got to my pro Thursday. Having had four lessons in a row rained out didn't help. She tried a number of different things, and we finally hit on some stuff that not only got it working right but that I can feel right away whether I'm doing it right or not--and that I can repeat.

Good pros can do this--if something isn't working for you, they will keep coming at it until you both find something that is.

Is there anything wrong with being content at being a hacker?Should I seek professional help? It seems that the people I play with that are more accomplished players never have a fun day.They are always dissappointed.I'm just happy, happy,joy, joy I have about 5 great shots out of 120.

Is there anything wrong with being content at being a hacker?Should I seek professional help? It seems that the people I play with that are more accomplished players never have a fun day.They are always dissappointed.I'm just happy, happy,joy, joy I have about 5 great shots out of 120.

Well, there is the theory that you should try to reduce your greens fee per swing as much as possible. Hubby tried to calculate mine this evening, and it was depressing.

My lesson ended up going about 1.5 hours on Monday. This guy picked up on 2 things in my swing that are in desperate need of attention. Once he figured out where my problems were steming from he got me a couple of drills to feel the position he wanted me to get into. I couldn't beleive the differance in the contact and the consistant flight off of the club. This guy is good. It will take a bit to get the changes ingrained, but I am looking forward to getting it worked out. I could really see and feel the differance when I did it right! I can't remember being this excited over some swing changes. I will keep you guys up to date on my progress.

My lesson ended up going about 1.5 hours on Monday. This guy picked up on 2 things in my swing that are in desperate need of attention. Once he figured out where my problems were steming from he got me a couple of drills to feel the position he wanted me to get into. I couldn't beleive the differance in the contact and the consistant flight off of the club. This guy is good. It will take a bit to get the changes ingrained, but I am looking forward to getting it worked out. I could really see and feel the differance when I did it right! I can't remember being this excited over some swing changes. I will keep you guys up to date on my progress.

Great work amollerud!!! I love that excited feeling after getting a good lesson, having an action plan and seeing results is what I love about it!

Cool! And if you know how to keep drilling those changes consistently when your pro isn't standing there watching, I'd love to know the secret. I swear--she steps away and my swing falls apart.

The key is to understand the drill and how to properly do it. Once you know it and can feel what the drill is trying to get you to do the practice gets easier. I hope that helps.

I've never had a golf lesson.

I'm not against lessons, I just never considered taking any. I guess it must be the "Do-it-yourself-er" in me.

-JP

2 Lessons

2 Lessons

In 45+ years I've had 2 lessons - both for the same thing - fix a sh**k. The first lesson, about 25 years ago, was a complete waste of money. I went to a great "NAME" pro in Central NJ who watched me hit balls for about 30 seconds and told me to work on my balance. He recommended no swing changes.

The second lesson, about 20 years ago, was with a local pro at a nearby 9-hole facility. I was almost ready to quit the game. He watched me hit balls for about 10 minutes, and told me what was causing the sh**ks for me. Basically, my swing was too flat, and my right side was not firing through at impact. He also told me to never again take a practice swing holding the club only with my left hand! That was it, no further lessons, case closed. Now, when the occasional "hosel rocket" rears its ugly head, I go back to his advice and invariably my swing has become lazy and flat, and my right side is not coming through. Best $25 I ever spent.

Same way here, I don't have any aspirations of getting into single digit handicap territory & don't have the ambition to practice enough. If I can go out & have just have fun, hit a few decent shots, couple of birdies here & there, etc. Then it's all good.

I was at the driving range yesterday while my wife was out shopping. (I don't do shopping with the wife) While working on my "driver off the deck" shot the club pro walked up to offer some advice. He showed me a few things which helped. He gave me his card, and said if I ever wanted some more help, to call and schedule a session, that he liked my swing. I handed him $10 for his time, and thanked him. A few moments later he returned with a bucket of balls for me. I don't know if I would seek further instruction from him, but he did get his foot in the door with me.:clapp:

I have my first lesson in years scheduled on Wed. I am really needing some help right now. I just don't want to reinvent the wheel.

I have my first lesson in years scheduled on Wed. I am really needing some help right now. I just don't want to reinvent the wheel.

A good pro won't try to do that. My brother and I have taken lessons from the same pro - with me, he will reinvent the wheel because I have underlying problems that need to be fixed at the source. My brother is a 2 HI so they target a specific area that needs to be tweaked. 2 different people - 2 entirely different lessons.

A good pro won't try to do that. My brother and I have taken lessons from the same pro - with me, he will reinvent the wheel because I have underlying problems that need to be fixed at the source. My brother is a 2 HI so they target a specific area that needs to be tweaked. 2 different people - 2 entirely different lessons.
I'm thinking we are more similar than your brother and I. I'm actually anxious about it.:eek:

Well, when you go for your lesson, tell the pro that you're not looking for a complete overhaul. If he tells you that he thinks that's what needs to be done, ask him why he thinks so and hear him out. If after he's made his case you still think he's "reaching too far", then thank him for his time and his thoughts and perhaps go find another pro.

He may however be able to point out some things that you might not even realize you're doing or not doing and maybe a large scale swing change (or more work than you thought) is really what you need. Just be honest with him and see where it goes.

-JP

Well I got my first lesson in a long time .... maybe 6 years. After taking a look at my swing I am surprised I played as well as I did my swing!!:banghead: Now i got sooo much work to do to fix my swing:banghead::banghead::banghead:

I am a couple of lessons into the swing changes. It has been very tuff and a lot of hard work. For the most part it is a complete overhaul of my swing. We are working on lower body stability (more turn no sway and getting my weight onto my right side). Believe it or not but we are working to shorten my swing. SCARY stuff there. I am working on keeping it short of parallel! and when I pull it off the results are GOOD. It is a lot of work and I am problably a couple of months or so from getting it to where I want but I know it is the right thing for me at this stage to get me to the next level.

I am in the process of taking lessons. I just had my second one Tuesday where we worked on wedges. They are worth their weight in gold (and what I am paying for them). He seems to be making sure I have the basics of a golf swing down and how to play the different types of shots. I have learned so much and am really starting to see something that relates to consistancy.

I am so very glad that I decided to get lessons within the first two months that I started playing. As far as goals go, I would like to reach a low single digit handicap as quickly as possible. I have a long road ahead of me, but what is life without a challenge right? I want to be an artist on the course.

That is Great to hear SethO! Keep at it.

An update on my swing changes...I have been at it for about 6 weeks now. I have the lower body and weight transfer figured out and nailed! I for the first time in may career have a club moving on a great path. I for the life of me cannot get my arms to stop traveling at the top. Breaking news I am now stopping the club at parrallel at the top. For me that is a HUGE change. I think most of you have seen my swing and to see the club stop at the top instead of scratching my back is amazing. I know I still have lots of work ahead of me but the changes to this point not only look better but the ball striking and consistant flight is getting A LOT better. I will let you guys know how it continues and if I am brave enough I might even post the new swing for you to see.

Back