Nike VRS Covert Driver Preview

Well that sucks, wonder if Nike will sell just a shaft?

Any authorized Nike retailer will sell you one I'm sure. You can always call Nike Golf and ask.

45.75" is the standard I believe.

I heard that the stock shaft in the tour model was shorter. I dunno how much shorter, but I did hear it was shorter.

I saw this in hand for the first time today and while I didn't get a chance to hit it the Tour version felt so good just holding it and looking down at it. It SCREAMS hit me like it will send bombs down the fairway all day long. The down side is Canadian prices $400.00 for the performance and $460.00 for the Tour, ouch.

I heard that the stock shaft in the tour model was shorter. I dunno how much shorter, but I did hear it was shorter.

I spent a couple of hours in Golfsmith Paramus' hitting bay (thanks guys) and I can confirm that the labels on the fitting cart shafts show 45.75" as the standard length for both Covert drivers.
BTW... The KK Silver definitely gave me better results than the KK Black in the Performance head, but the Tour head gave me better results overall. I also tried the other shafts in the cart (Fuel, Black Tie, and Proforce VTS (not sure what version)) in the tour head but the KK silver just kept providing the best numbers for this hacker.

Last edited:
I saw this in hand for the first time today and while I didn't get a chance to hit it the Tour version felt so good just holding it and looking down at it. It SCREAMS hit me like it will send bombs down the fairway all day long. The down side is Canadian prices $400.00 for the performance and $460.00 for the Tour, ouch.

Bought my Performance for 339 in GolfTown Ottawa (Kanata). Still ridiculous it's more despite parity, but with the 75 dollar trade in bonus worked out nicely for me.

I was surprised to notice that the ladies heads have the same lofts on them from 8.5 to 12.5. I figured Nike would be more like Cobra and adjust the lofts more for the ladies.

i saw this in hand for the first time today and while i didn't get a chance to hit it the tour version felt so good just holding it and looking down at it. It screams hit me like it will send bombs down the fairway all day long. The down side is canadian prices $400.00 for the performance and $460.00 for the tour, ouch.

usa! Usa! Usa!

Think thats bad? Here in Australia we wont get them until next month and the word on the street is that the Tour will retail at $500. Luckily I've already ordered from my US supplier, $327pp for the Tour customised at my specs. Cant even get Nike custom options here which sucks ba11s.

I spent a couple of hours in Golfsmith Paramus' hitting bay (thanks guys) and I can confirm that the labels on the fitting cart shafts show 45.75" as the standard length for both Covert drivers.
BTW... The KK Silver definitely gave me better results than the KK Black in the Performance head, but the Tour head gave me better results overall. I also tried the other shafts in the cart (Fuel, Black Tie, and Proforce VTS (not sure what version)) in the tour head but the KK silver just kept providing the best numbers for this hacker.

Nike measures their drivers differently, I put my stock Covert next to my stock 910D2, same length.

$290 to get the Black Tie 70 with tip... OUCH!!

I have to say that I love these clubs. Here are my numbers so that you guys can geek out comparing the shafts and different heads. I do have to forewarn that I didn't see much difference between the two shafts but did see a large difference between heads. I thought the 50g black would have been slightly faster than the 60g silver but that wasn't the case. My swing was kinda screwy and I was getting tired, I think that I hit about 10-15 per combination. Here goes nothing!

Clubhead SpeedBall speedLaunch AngleAzimuthSidespinBackspinTotal spinDescent angleCarryTotal distanceOffline Peak height
KK Black P104150.611.4-0.1-1082920294340255.87279.94-8.4335.63
KK Black T
103149.713.62.4-1462448249741262.18287.881.2238.1
KKSilverP
KKSilverT
10415112.6-0.1622656267841261.88286.951.0137.66

The tour head definitely performed better for me than the performance head regardless of the shaft. The tour head also seemed to feel a little more "buttery" than it's brother. Size didnt seem to bother me at address and the cavity wasn't an issue. The tour had about 500-1000 less TS than the other version. If I can scrape up some money I think that this club will be my gamer, I may just wait until prices come down though!

Thanks for the info., looks like I'm headed to Paramus GS tomorrow. I'm not sure if GG or PGA SS has the variety of shafts you mentioned!

After fiddling with numerous drivers for more hours than I'm willing to admit; it came down to the Covert Tour @ 11.5 with a stiff KK Silver shaft, or the RazerFit Xtreme 10.5 with a stiff Black Tie.
It was surprising how similar my launch monitor numbers were between the two setups... Probably within swing error. The RFE+BlackTie's sinister all-black appearance was very gravitating, but in the end I felt the Covert Tour was a bit more forgiving so the Nike is in the bag this season.

This is obviously not just Covert specific, but out of curiosity, how much of an impact does taping up the club have on the launch monitor results.

Cue the music>>>
"I'm so excited,
And I just can't hide it,
I'm about to lose control
And I think I like it.
I'm so excited,
And I just can't hide it,
And I know, I know, I know, I know
I know I want you, want you."

Excited if you cant tell.

This is obviously not just Covert specific, but out of curiosity, how much of an impact does taping up the club have on the launch monitor results.

Tape on the face? Maybe affect the spin a little bit.

Buy I'm hardly an expert.

That's what I was assuming would be the greatest impact, just not sure how dramatic.

That's what I was assuming would be the greatest impact, just not sure how dramatic.

On a driver, I bet it would and spin more than reduce it.

Iowfi was that the stock KK black shaft in the Performance and you tested that same shaft in both the tour and performance head?

On a driver, I bet it would and spin more than reduce it.

On a driver, tape will have an immaterial effect on spin. Drivers don't have grooves. I think JB has mentioned this in the past in other testing threads.

If you put tape on a FW, hybrid or iron, there would be a material effect on spin.

While I find the Covert's headcover less than stellar looking, it is interesting that it incorporates a slightly reflective pattern that is difficult to capture with a camera. It reminds me of the reflective panels some running shoes employ. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361392227.318380.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1361392254.440617.jpg

While I find the Covert's headcover less than stellar looking, it is interesting that it incorporates a slightly reflective pattern that is difficult to capture with a camera. It reminds me of the reflective panels some running shoes employ. View attachment 7881View attachment 7882

I will just quote myself...

I have made my fondness of this driver very known. So, with that in mind...

I don't understand that disdain for the head cover. I have only been golfing for 5 serious years. I have never once hit a drive with the head cover still on the club. Also, the club is named "Covert". And as bold as the club is, the head cover is very discreet. Almost...covert...

I hear ya Blu... But while we never hit the club with the headcover in place; once I bring home my new club, the headcover is barely ever taken off!

I hear ya Blu... But while we never hit the club with the headcover in place; once I bring home my new club, the headcover is barely ever taken off!

I get it. I like my yoda headcover too much. Plus, I like the idea when the biggest issue is the headcover. After the adapter availability, of course.

Back