Nike Covert Tour Hybrid Review

c0ncept

SFT
Reaction score
Handicap
Life
2/21/2013

So after what felt like the longest week ever I finally got my package today and wanted to share some first thoughts about the club with you all.

Nike Covert Tour Hybrid (3)
Lofts are 17-21* and are changed in 1* increments.
The club also has the ability to be Open, Neutral, or Closed.

Now I just want to point out that this is the first Nike golf product I have ever purchased (other than balls) and only the second adjustable club. First thing I did was look at the tool that came with it and the booklet with instructions. What stood out to me was that the big booklet is just two pages of information but is printed in 34 different languages.

8y7wq1.jpg
2laftbr.jpg
[/SPOILER]

So after reading that stuff I grabbed the headcover and took some pictures of the club itself. It has a really interesting headcover pattern (I took a flash picture so it would show up more). The covert has a red crown, a black face on the tour model, and a huge chunk missing out of the back.
Spoiler

11b0k5k.jpg

zkk55t.jpg
54t7xt.jpg
a841e.jpg

The tour model comes with an 80 gram Kuro Kage Silver shaft and is also adjustable with the new nike flex loft system

rvj9e1.jpg

i4r8yp.jpg

Here is a video of me adjusting the club so you guys can see how it is done:

Very excited to hit this thing and hopefully will get on a launch monitor tomorrow or Saturday. Can't wait to share my thoughts with everyone.

2/22/2013

Pictures at address in grass and pictures comparing the face shape to Cleveland DST and Mashie:
Spoiler
16gkcw.jpg
33bz2w8.jpg
29f3348.jpg

Sound Test Video:

Went over to one of my favorite places today which would be the Boccieri Performance Center where I was able to hop on the foresight monitor and get some numbers. I hit 5 shots with the Nike that were perfect and then two more with the Mashie and decided that was enough to show. The Mashie is by far one of the best hybrids I have hit especially for my game and the only complaint I have ever had about it is the thicker butt end of the club. To describe myself I would say I am a pretty good player when it comes to everything but putting and as far as ball flight I like to keep the ball lower. Today I was not 100% but I was able to make good contact.
hvcknq.jpg

Here are the comparison numbers from the launch monitor:

awpd0.jpg

So to break things down this was 7 consecutive shots...5 with the Covert and 2 with the Mashie. The 5th shot with the Covert was me trying to swing a little harder and it ended up with me pushing the ball out to the right. The ball used was the Bridgestone E6.

The Nike gave me lower spin numbers but had a longer average carry which leads me to believe that with a change of ball I could bring that carry number even higher. Basically these numbers are very similar which shocked me since I expected the Mashie to be about 5-10 yards longer due to the 20 gram difference in shaft weight. The Kuro Kage shaft is a little more stout that I normally am used to but like the Miyazaki I really like it as a stock shaft. I do wish I went with the lighter model but the results are not bad as is. All in all it was a good first showing for the Nike. More to come tomorrow when I will put it side by side with the RBZ Stage 2 and soon onto the course.

Last edited:
nice slippers.

oh yeah, cool club :alien: hit it well! let us know how it goes!

nice slippers.

I was told no feet in pictures ;) They are killer rabbit ones from monty python

Man I will say this club is very unique & beautiful looking. I would definitely love to try it out along with the driver!
Thanks for posting the pics and info.

But one question..... Where did you get those slippers?

Because they are Freaking awesome man!!! Seriously they look super badass!!!
Thanks again.

Very cool! Actually looks pretty decent at address. Will be looking forward to hearing what you think of it.

Well crap. I have been contemplating getting the X Hot Pro and thought that I was sold on that, but now I see this and I am totally confused again. I need to see this in person and hit this ASAP!

Okay guys so I figure that I am going to update the first post with everything so that nothing gets lost in the thread. Should have a video of the flex loft system in a few minutes.

Mercer I hit the x hot pro FW and the covert tour FW and I still have no idea which one I want lol

Awesome stuff Concept! Thanks for sharing man. I love the adjustability this club offers and am a fan of the looks. Anxious to hear some performance thoughts from you.

LMAO @ the slippers, well played man!

I really like the looks of that club overall, and especially the headcover. Thanks for sharing buddy and I can't wait to hear how you like it!

Nice looking club. I hope that you will really like it. nice slippers

Very cool. I like the shafts that Nike is putting in their clubs now. They might start getting pretty competitive.

The slippers are hilarious!! Good stuff

Nice stuff, I haven't watched the video just yet but will shortly. It looks pretty good at address. I haven't looked at the hybrid offering yet in the stores as I am focused more and more on the driver. I know you mentioned the tour model comes with a different shaft, but is there a difference in the tour head from the non-tour head or is it just a shaft change?

ok just watched the video. For doing it with 1 hand that looked pretty easy to adjust. I think Nike really has hit a home run with this adapter. I dare say it's dummy proof.

I think you did a great job on this!!! Thanks

Nice looking club and head cover! Is this a cavity back club like the covert driver? I couldn't tell from the pics and Youtube is blocked. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

ok just watched the video. For doing it with 1 hand that looked pretty easy to adjust. I think Nike really has hit a home run with this adapter. I dare say it's dummy proof.

I also had no real idea of what I was doing...When I said I looked at the instruction booklet I mean I looked "at" it not "in" it lol. I was kind of shocked at how simple it was.

Nice looking club and head cover! Is this a cavity back club like the covert driver? I couldn't tell from the pics and Youtube is blocked. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Yes it is a cavity back just like the driver and fairway woods.

These hybrids look really nice but I'm just not a fan of the red crown. I really like the loft selection though - you can really dial in the gaps.

nice slippers.

My thoughts exactly, I can't wait to hear more on the shaft too!!

My thoughts exactly, I can't wait to hear more on the shaft too!!

I'll make sure to put some focus on it. I am used to playing a lighter shaft in my hybrids and irons so the step from 60-80 is kind of a lot.

Updated the first post

Nice stuff, I haven't watched the video just yet but will shortly. It looks pretty good at address. I haven't looked at the hybrid offering yet in the stores as I am focused more and more on the driver. I know you mentioned the tour model comes with a different shaft, but is there a difference in the tour head from the non-tour head or is it just a shaft change?

The tour model has slightly less offset as well. The club heads seem very similar in terms of size.

Awsome job man, you covered everything I wanted to know.

Nice job on the initial thoughts. Looking forward to your thought on the shaft in particular.

The tour model has slightly less offset as well. The club heads seem very similar in terms of size.

thanks to this thread I stopped at Dicks on my lunch hour to check out the hybrids. I ended up noticing a difference. With the non-tour models you have a bonded hosel as opposed to the flex fit sleeve. Same goes for the fairways apparently.

Back