TaylorMade RBZ Stage 2 Hybrids Review Thread

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
TaylorMade has sent out their new Rocketballz Stage 2 Hybrids for Forum Testing here on THP, and testers have started to receive their clubs at this time. This thread will serve as a long term review area for the the testers to post their thoughts, results and experiences with the new RBZ Stage 2 Fairways, as well as for others to ask questions and share their thoughts.

Please keep it clear until the testers begin posting their initial thoughts, Thanks.

It is always a good feeling to be hard at work and see your name listed as a tester, it never gets old. I would like to thank TaylorMade Golf and THP for making this testing possible. I recieved my 19* RBZ stage2 hybrid via USPS and I have to say I was quite excited to see the mailman. He thought I was welcoming him back to the route after his 3 week abscence. But when I snatched the package he knew otherwise. I kid of course, I did miss him and it was grea tee the long narrow box that held the RBZ Stage2 hybrid.

I immediatly took to picture taking after I cut open the box. I will be heading out to the range shortly to give this a quick run through. My first vision was the bright yellow head cover with the racing stripes. I think that is quit fitting seeing how these are rumored to produce some serious ball speed. Then I saw the sleek black Rockerfuel Shaft in a stiff flex. Interesting name, I hope it holds up. The shaft leads into the traditional shaped hybrid head with 19* of loft. This is a departture from what I have been looking at for almost two year, the Ezone hybrid with the face that spills over the top of the club club head. The Stage 2 has a traditonal face/crown mixture, the paint form the white crown actually incases the blackish face of the club. TaylorMade's new site line graphics are displayed on the rear of the crown with a little emblem of sort in the middle front of the crown. All in all its a good look!

The club seemed to have a good feel with the few swings I took while snapping photos but I'll have more on that later this evening. I expect that this club will perform and perform well. I just have that gut feeling. Anyway please enjoy the photos and Thank you again to Taylormade Golf and The Hackers Paradise team.

61029E85-3E44-4793-85D2-020E42EB37C6-27648-00001B1AB72C4E26_zpsa4bb8145.jpg

2C91A35C-899E-4BF2-8691-A372208DD508-27648-00001B1AAF9048DB_zps7b3baf38.jpg

F89967B9-D582-442A-B781-638332927006-27648-00001B1AA7841826_zpscc06dddf.jpg

C69BBB80-2BE3-438C-860F-5F5250FD690B-27648-00001B1AA028506B_zps86aa75cb.jpg

12628257-C42E-4AEE-93E2-26FF44682D2A-27648-00001B1A83D3E9B6_zpsbb42eb26.jpg

8D1783C3-FBA3-4EED-86CD-040816528395-27648-00001B1A6C402DB6_zps9c8cee79.jpg

C37842E2-9161-4762-829B-BEA14C6631EE-27648-00001B1A5EF7AD44_zpsabc55d4c.jpg

2EE359F4-48AD-4604-8336-DDD2341BB421-27648-00001B1A4F6098E9_zps44e1d36f.jpg

65362905-5BA0-40A6-A668-DCD0CFB1F950-27648-00001B1A44991821_zpsbdab382e.jpg

29A04687-E79F-449E-AFC9-0B391AEF34EC-27648-00001B1A979886F8_zps1459fc05.jpg

96C15ED5-34C5-4C4D-92BF-8DF431D1C90A-27648-00001B1A8FDF7635_zps688719f2.jpg

12628257-C42E-4AEE-93E2-26FF44682D2A-27648-00001B1A83D3E9B6_zpsbb42eb26.jpg

Holy smokes those pics are amazing! I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the performance of this bad boy FK!

Very nice Freddie. That club looks fantastic!

Lookin good Freddie. I hope to have mine in hand tonight and take it to a launch monitor tomorrow to compare to my a12

Holy smokes those pics are amazing! I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the performance of this bad boy FK!
Agreed, awesome job on the treatments.

Brilliant photos Freddie! Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the range time. Mine got held up front the snowmeggedon, but luckily should be here Saturday, and the snows already melting good.

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

Incredible pics. Classic shape clubhead with some serious tech improvements hiding in there, can't wait to see how it translates to the course!

Good pics and nice write up. Looking forward to this testing.

Oh, that looks familar. Looking forward to your thoughts Freddie. If this performs like the FW, this could be a beast. Excited to hear what all of you think of this hybrid.

Just bolted to the door as soon as I heard the doorbell to find a pretty box sitting there. Here are the first pictures of the club after I opened it up.

Club: Taylormade Rocketballz Stage 2 Tour TP 3 hybrid.

2lu5b29.jpg

2uejr60.jpg
2lc3fig.jpg
icsrxj.jpg
nrh50.jpg
25k0i2x.jpg

First impressions of the club:

The club seems to be a little longer than my Mashie and Nike Covert hybrids (I think an inch total) and has a much different head shape than the Nike. I took some comparison shots so you can see:

28jfjg1.jpg
333izax.jpg

I like the weighting of it a lot though. I am not used to heavier shafts but this one feels well balanced. Just like the Nike the RBZ Tour TP model is adjustable in what looks like 0.5* increments from 17* to 20*. Will take this thing to the launch monitor tomorrow to get some numbers!

Last edited:
Nice initial thoughts. Can't wait to hear how this testing goes! Excited to read everyone's thoughts!

Some great pictures and initial thoughts in here keep up the great work! Really looking forward to hearing the reviews.

Awesome that they sent you the adjustable one - that should be really fun to play with your trajectory!

Nice initial thoughts and pics concept. Looking forward to your summer results.

Great pics, freddie! Awesome that yours is already in hand!

Fantastic job with the pictures Freddie. Great start to the thread

Unfortunately didn't come today. Hopefully tomorrow and I can post some initial thoughts

Whoop! The RBZ Stage 2 Hybrid arrived today, just before I left on a business trip.. I'll be testing the 22* RBZ Stage 2 hybrid. The club I'll most be comparing it to will be my '07 TaylorMade Burner 22* hybrid. I also game a TaylorMade RBZ 19* hybrid which I'll compare for feel only. I'll be playing on Sunday, anxious to record my on course thoughts about this club

Last edited:
Strong work so far Tadashi! I loved your r11 reviews and am excited to see what you have to say about these.

Liking what I see so far. Can't wait to hear all of your thoughts on them!

Great pictures Tadashi! I'm itching to receive this club in the mail.

2/22/13
Northshore Golf Club
low 80s
Sunny with a slight Breeze
RBZ Stage2 19* hybrid

From the Company:

RocketBallz Rescues Just got RocketBallz-IER

· Faster andlonger than original RocketBallz Rescues
· Ultra-highstrength TaylorMade RocketSteel supplied by Carpenter® creates a thinner andfaster-flexing face.
· Improved SpeedPocket design flexes faster to promote faster ball speed and more distance.
· Lower andmore-forward CG location promotes faster ball speed, high launch and low spin.
· Black clubface,non-glare white crown and new crown graphic all promote easy alignment.
· Lightweight65-gram graphite shaft promotes fast swing speed.
Initial Thoughts:

I was able to get a good look at this club once I reached the range and I have to say the head of the club was bigger than I expected. This might be the first time I actually felt I was gaming a hybird. A true mix of fairway wood and long iron, but without the hassle of try to hit the long iron. In the past I have gamed narrower or sleeker head shapes, this was a slight departure to my eye. It in no way bothered me it's just a different look.

The Shaft:

The Rocketfuel 65 gram shaft is an inch longer than my previous games and was noticable as soon as I addressed the balls. As will most stock shafts and my game the shaft was a bit late to the show if my swing was too far inside or I failed to release the club properly. This of course produced a high push but not my usual flare right. The shaft produced a mid/high ball flight with standard swings and a high trajectory with harder swings. My standard move was producing some really straight shots, no matter where on the club face I made contact.

Forgiving:

The face of the club reminded me a lot of the R11 irons , as far as forgiveness is concerned. There seems to be a great deal of lateral and horizontal forgiveness. I am sure there was some distance loss from the miss hits but with the light I really could not tell. What I did observe was the consistency of the ball flight.

Final thoughts:

We all know that today's modern clubs are geared to be long, the Stage 2 is no exception in the distance department. If you hit a long ball, the stage 2 will continue that trend. What stood out to me was the trajectory and forgiveness this club offers. Sure the trajectory will be disctated by different swings but I am willing to bet if you hit a mid flight, this club will consistently produce a mid ball. The same hold true for a high or low. I did not try to flight it in this session but I am sure the club is able to do so.

When I hit the ball off the toe I expect a certain shot to be produced, yesterday a saw a slight pull with mid/high. When I hit it thin or the 3rd groove I expect a low liner, yesterday I saw a mid/fade. You get the picture, the club is way forgiving. As I was hitting I could feel the confidence pouring over me. I Started just peeling of shot after shot with no mid to my postions or lines. I had to stop myself and think about what I had just seen. It was nice to ponder a consistent ball flight, even now that vision is fresh in my head.

Great start so far Freddie and c0ncept! The pictures look great.

That is one forgiving club there Freddie. Were you hitting off mats or grass? I am curious if you see anything different off the two and interested to see what happens when you take it to the course and hit it from some different lies.

I was hitting off grass with favorable lies or off the tee. I'll have this on the course next week in Vegas at Rio Secca, I'm sure I'll have some different looks.
Great start so far Freddie and c0ncept! The pictures look great.

That is one forgiving club there Freddie. Were you hitting off mats or grass? I am curious if you see anything different off the two and interested to see what happens when you take it to the course and hit it from some different lies.

Back