The Anchoring Ban

Similar to the long putter hatred, no?

I have nothing against the putter, only the stroke it engenders. In case you haven't figured it out, I'm a bit of a traditionalist. I use modern equipment so don't start that tired gaff, but I play in a traditional manner. I follow the rules. I have for 26 years, and I've kept up with rules changes whether I agreed with them or not. I defer to those who have made a study of the game (USGA and R&A), and mostly agree when they make a ruling for the preservation of the game. In fact I don't think they have been stringent enough in curbing equipment technology, but that isn't what this is about. I dislike the look of the giant driver, but I use it. I use hybrids, which I don't see as being all that much different from a short shafted fairway wood. I don't like the anchored stroke and never will.

When it comes to taking a measurable part of the skill out of making a stroke, then I have to side with anyone attempting to eliminate that loophole. If that takes a piece of equipment out of the picture, then that's how it will be.

The issue isn't the technological advances to me, it that they are limiting what 99.999% of golfers based on .001% golfer directly or indirectly.

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

I probably sound pretty harsh, but I don't think they should just get a free pass to make knee-jerk decisions every time they feel like it. They have to find a way to curb technological advances before they allow them to become an ingrained part of the game.

I would both suspect and hope that that very lesson has been learned with this fiasco, but with saying that they are the governing body and they will use all the free passes they want until something big enough to stop them comes along. Unfortunately the majority of golfers feel the same way they do about the rule change.

I have question for those in favor of the ban. Have you ever used an anchored putter? And don't tell me you would
Never because it goes against the pureness of the game. Have you used one and found it to be easier than a standard putter?

The game we played as evolved into something the founders could have never seen and its going to evolve into something great in the future. Adjustable drivers, exotic metals, graphite shafts. The game has changed and anchored putters are part of this change.
Repeating stuff you hear doesn't make it true. Give the putters a try and tell me what you think. Don't just share with the USGA has tried to state as fact

Tad:

How dare you try to make the anti-anchor people think in any other way than to argue for the integrity of the game.

Isn't this what they're concerned about? Not the old people, of course. But the touring pro who, down the stretch of a big tournament, gets the nervous shakes. With a regular putter, you have to deal with that. With this, you just stick in your belly or your chest and those nervous shakes are not as bad, all of a sudden. Or so the argument goes.

Adam Scott disagrees.

But overall, I agree with your assessment. I also think the 20 percent number was hyperbole at best. I have never seen anyone with a belly putter.

My whole problem with anchoring is that it changes the way one club gets played. All 14 clubs should be played the same way........and that is each club should be swung. That's the beauty of golf.

Adam Scott disagrees.

But overall, I agree with your assessment. I also think the 20 percent number was hyperbole at best. I have never seen anyone with a belly putter.

Me neither, but most of the people I play with would need a belly putter about 2 feet long.

My whole problem with anchoring is that it changes the way one club gets played. All 14 clubs should be played the same way........and that is each club should be swung. That's the beauty of golf.

... They are all still being swung.

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

I would both suspect and hope that that very lesson has been learned with this fiasco, but with saying that they are the governing body and they will use all the free passes they want until something big enough to stop them comes along. Unfortunately the majority of golfers feel the same way they do about the rule change.

I seriously doubt that. The majority of golfers probably don't give 2 shakes.

I seriously doubt that. The majority of golfers probably don't give 2 shakes.

I know I don't. It won't affect my golf game at all. But it sure is fun talking about it.

Who will the smug USGA look down their noses at after they squash this one?

Probably the US Mid Amateur. They killed the Pub Links to start some stupid 4 ball championship. Next they'll kill the Mid Am for a 2 man scramble team :pissed-off:

... They are all still being swung.

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

Not really. When anchored the club is being pivoted around a fixed point, not swing freely separate from the torso. That is clearly different from the normal golf swing.

Gonna say again,,, Old guys go to anchoring because it helps steady the putter if you have the "yips".. Most important part is it helps steady the putter....

Funny you say this as the faces of the anchored putter are keegan, webb, and Adam scott...not really old guys...

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Not really. When anchored the club is being pivoted around a fixed point, not swing freely separate from the torso. That is clearly different from the normal golf swing.

Left hand low and claw grip putting strokes are clearly different from full swings as well. What's your point?

Left hand low and claw grip putting strokes are clearly different from full swings as well. What's your point?

They are not attached to any part of the body other than the hands... Duhhhh LOL

They are not attached to any part of the body other than the hands... Duhhhh LOL

And yet, they're still different from full swings, are they not?

Well, they don't enforce the slow play rules which is a real cancer.. You "anchorers" may get lucky and they won't enforce this rule either! :eyepoke:

Does anyone here even use an anchored putter here?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

And yet, they're still different from full swings, are they not?

You can not have a full swing from an anchored position..:eyepoke:

They both swing around a fixed point, just because that point H's changed doesn't mean your not swinging the club.

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

Putting with an anchored putter is no different than walking with a crutch... Keeps you steady!:drinks:

Back