Taking On Big Beer

Diane

Reaction score
Give me a break.

Let them charge as much as they want. The marketplace will determine if the price is fair or not.

2 companies have 80% of the market.

2 companies have 80% of the market.

Microsft has over 70% of the software market and have beat so many anti-trust lawsuits. Are we going to go after all co's that have the majority of a marketplace? The public will determine what is fair, etc. as long as they have choices and there isn't a verifiable monopolistic marketplace

Let them charge as much as they want. The marketplace will determine if the price is fair or not.

Exactly! Plus, if beer gets too expensive it just means I drink more vodka. More bang for my buck and you can put it in just about everything.

I know, I read it this morning. Let’s just put all companies under the thumb of government and let government run everything. That way we’ll have nothing to eat, drink, drive or wear. :angry::banghead::at-wits-end:

If people don’t like the price increases they will switch to one of the 20% competitors who in turn will begin to take market share from A-B InBev and MillerCoors. Do I still live in a capitalistic America???? As an economics lesson, beer is an inelastic product so the argument could be made that for the last decade A-B, Miller and Coors should have been raising prices at a faster rate than the CPI which did not happen.

Spoiler
FIRST%20NAVY.jpg

I think some one once said that in times of hardships, folks will always have/find money to buy a drink or two. I like to drink beer from time to time. Beer is actually cheaper than Coke, or Pepsi products in our area. They can charge what ever they want for it. Mr. Obama has too many more important problems to deal with.

Personally I would like to see him go after Wal-Mart to give their employees benefits. Beer prices do not impact my taxes like Wal-Mart's employees do who work with out a medical plan.

Now if Mr. Obama wants to go after those folks who charge an arm and a leg for foods and beverages at sporting events, then he has my vote. Let the 7-11s, Buger Kings, McDonalds' and the rest provide these services. Not these private companies who most likely have the politicians in their pockets. Just imagine a "dollar menu" for a family of 4 :clapp:

Eh, let 'em charge what they want. Like others said, the market will determine if it's too high.

ROFL! Interesting topic here, more so that I would be against the gov't and/or any party doing anything to private companies and yet I do not drink, never have, and never will. Seriously, NEVER touched the stuff, yet I support other's rights to do so (long as it is not in excess like the Good Book says :D) and I support the free enterprise of the Beer companies too!

On a sad note though seeing as we now have Government Motors et al, this could be a distinct possibility........

Far as drinking the kool-aid goes, the only band wagon I am on is the constitution, literal interpretation. Whatever side of the aisle you are on, you want my vote then support that.

At the end of the day though he is my C in C, so until he or any other leader breaks the oath of enlistment and the constitution which I am sworn to defend I, along with 350,000+ men/women will follow our orders.

Its absolutely absurd. More than absurd. When is the govt going to stop? Go after every company that has majorities? That is what this is coming to. Companies have the right to charge what they want. A consumer can choose not to buy it. Are they going to go after Coke and Pepsi too? They dominate the marketplace just like the two beer companies. How about Microsoft? How about cable companies? they are truly monopolies in areas. How about cell phone companies?

It could never end. Lets just have government involved with every company and determine if a company should or should not make a profit.

Talk to me again when we have an oligopoly or monopoly and there is no longer any competitive pricing for your beer. When you have one or two companies dominating - it's no longer a matter of the marketplace setting the price.

Sure it is. 2 companies dominate almost every marketplace. Satellite, cable, soda, beer, tobacco, etc. etc.

Pretty soon all that will be left to drink is Victory Gin. OH No! I'm in view of the telescreen!

Talk to me again when we have an oligopoly or monopoly and there is no longer any competitive pricing for your beer. When you have one or two companies dominating - it's no longer a matter of the marketplace setting the price.

In all honesty I would prefer that over an arbitrary, more than likely non-elected bureaucratic committee deciding who makes profits, who can go into business etc. If that's the case then we might as well start practicing singing our Americanized version of The Internationale singing the praise of the USSA..........and I have been probably locked away at the very least, more than likely I have been "pacified" with other "dissenters" who bring nothing but hate, old religion, etc into a new more modern arena of hope..............:banghead:

Same music and tune, just the lyrics have been updated, guitars added, and the video is on MTV..........

:beat-up:
I think some one once said that in times of hardships, folks will always have/find money to buy a drink or two. I like to drink beer from time to time. Beer is actually cheaper than Coke, or Pepsi products in our area. They can charge what ever they want for it. Mr. Obama has too many more important problems to deal with.

Personally I would like to see him go after Wal-Mart to give their employees benefits. Beer prices do not impact my taxes like Wal-Mart's employees do who work with out a medical plan.

Now if Mr. Obama wants to go after those folks who charge an arm and a leg for foods and beverages at sporting events, then he has my vote. Let the 7-11s, Buger Kings, McDonalds' and the rest provide these services. Not these private companies who most likely have the politicians in their pockets. Just imagine a "dollar menu" for a family of 4 :clapp:

WTF... hope you never own a business! Who's exempt? Ok, I own four fast food restaurants, so why not let me foot all the costs. Why not, according to you I HAVE THE POLITICIANS IN MY POCKETS!! Sorry dude, but not the case. Maby you should look at the average labor cost we pay per 16 or 17 year old employee now. How about the average liability claim that rivals the doctors in this country. On average, (FACT) we get 10 to 15 cents on the dollor... BOTTOM LINE. Thats in my pocket, yet I listen to people bad mouth my business.

All I have left to say is: "Would you like cheese on that burger SIR???

I have to ask a very simple question and I really hope everyone can answer this. Who hires the most employees in this country? Really, who put's to work, pay's the bill's, taxes, liability, takes the chances? Who works 6 AM to midnight every fricken night to put their kids through college, something I could not have? Enjoy what you have... while you have it!

All due respect to thedue, but I think provisional was directly referring to the very expensive over-charging that occurs at game park's, amusement parks, movie theaters etc....not to regular, vanilla food estalishments. Which y the sound of things you have the vanilla version? Also it was probably an attempt at wry/dry/sarcastic humor?

All "due" respect... cracks me up KID! But, all "due" respect I work my as# off as a business owner in a large NAME market as a franchisee. Simply because I have a big name brand does not mean I can "foot the bill" for America. Neither can Budwiser, coors, or McD's!

Since when did we get to the point that goverernment desided what the market could bear? That's a chance I have to live with every day.

Sorry guy's, but pretty close to home. I'll try to shut up!

Provisional...

Sorry big guy, a bit over the top man. Forgive me please... I'm no more right in my assertians than you are. We all work hard, I sometimes forget that.

Duey Lynch

All "due" respect... cracks me up KID! But, all "due" respect I work my as# off as a business owner in a large NAME market as a franchisee. Simply because I have a big name brand does not mean I can "foot the bill" for America. Neither can Budwiser, coors, or McD's!

Since when did we get to the point that goverernment desided what the market could bear? That's a chance I have to live with every day.

Sorry guy's, but pretty close to home. I'll try to shut up!

Hey at least you got my pun! And no you don't have to apologize for your feelings, they are yours! I was just saying that I don't think he was referencing your franchise's............unless they are in an arena, ball park etc........then if that is the case I have to ask why are they more expensive? To stay OT the alcoholic beverages are at least 10% more expensive, some places I have seen almost 100% more, seems like if they farmed it out to private franchise's and let the corp. HQ foot the bills for renting in the stadiums that prices would be closer to the regular food market? Really no clue though just musing out loud!

Sure it is. 2 companies dominate almost every marketplace. Satellite, cable, soda, beer, tobacco, etc. etc.

Yes, and they also face oversight and potential regulation if it appears that they are using their market power in a manner inconsistent with a free flowing economy. It's been that way for over 100 years, since the Sherman Antitrust Act which, by the way, was proposed by Republicans who believed that a free market only worked when there was actual competition in the market rather than just one or two companies dominating the market.

I thought we didn't allow political discussions here?

Back