Nike VRS Covert Driver Preview

If I end up doing that man I'll let you know. It's in R flex though, these KK shafts are the first R flex's I've bought in a long time but they just work better for me in this shaft. I've probably hit 20 balls with it, it does well off the tee but I can't get it in the air well off the deck, could be me. I've got my 910 set at 16.5* and can bomb it (for me anyway) off the fairway. I don't think it's the fact it's a 15* though because I used to have a burner 2.0 16.5 I couldn't do anything with and prior to that a long time ago I had a Burner 15* that was a bomber.

I just suck with fairway woods but there are two places I play I really need them a few times off the deck so I keep trying.
I have a Burner 2.0 with a PX shaft in R flex if you want that plus cash for the Covert. We can talk if you don't enjoy it.

We might talk about it after I get back from work (I work 14 on 14 off). I hit it soooo well off the tee today I don't want to get rid of it but I just don't hit it well off the deck. Who knows.

Seeing as I bought mine sight unseen from a US supplier I did a Flightscope session with my coach to get the proper setup in the flex loft. The test was using ProV1x's, Hex black and 20xi's. Initially it was set at 9.5*N and we worked from there.

As a base I hit some shots and was getting numbers of;
Ballspeed-169mph
Launch- 9.1*
Spin- 2605rpm
Carry- 251m

As a consequence we were adjusting the loft to increase my launch while trying to maintain that kind of spin. After a few minutes we got it set to 11.5 and I started hitting some real bombs down range. We got the numbers to show;

Ballspeed- 170mph
Launch- 14.5*
Spin- 2620rpm
Carry- 269m

This was awesome to see but at the same time all the talk about bumping up the loft to increase distance appears to be true in my case.

My flight was a little right to left so we opened the face to great effect. Very consistent. One of the most pleasing aspects of the session was the smash factor consistently hitting 1.50. Even slight toe hits were scoring 1.5 and I had 3or4 that made it to 1.51(dead centre nutted).

One of the less pleasing aspects was my choice of ball. I currently play a 20xi-x (2013) and I have always maintained that it "appeared" to give me the best distance and performance around the green. Flightscope busted that perception. I still love how it performs but distance wise it is potentially costing me up to 20m because it is generally spinning off the chart. With the V1x and Hex black I was consistently around 2600-2700rpm but with the Xi-x was getting up to 3800-4500rpm. There were a few I kept below 3000 but only due to catching it low on the face. So I think I'm going to try the new V1x and Hex to see how they go.

All up I'm very happy and extremely grateful to the technologies that help us get better. It's awesome.

good write up Bushy. Amazing that you can can alter the loft 2 degrees higher, get your launch up and maintain that spin rate. Enjoy the extra 18m.

Seeing as I bought mine sight unseen from a US supplier I did a Flightscope session with my coach to get the proper setup in the flex loft. The test was using ProV1x's, Hex black and 20xi's. Initially it was set at 9.5*N and we worked from there.

As a base I hit some shots and was getting numbers of;
Ballspeed-169mph
Launch- 9.1*
Spin- 2605rpm
Carry- 251m

As a consequence we were adjusting the loft to increase my launch while trying to maintain that kind of spin. After a few minutes we got it set to 11.5 and I started hitting some real bombs down range. We got the numbers to show;

Ballspeed- 170mph
Launch- 14.5*
Spin- 2620rpm
Carry- 269m

This was awesome to see but at the same time all the talk about bumping up the loft to increase distance appears to be true in my case.

My flight was a little right to left so we opened the face to great effect. Very consistent. One of the most pleasing aspects of the session was the smash factor consistently hitting 1.50. Even slight toe hits were scoring 1.5 and I had 3or4 that made it to 1.51(dead centre nutted).

One of the less pleasing aspects was my choice of ball. I currently play a 20xi-x (2013) and I have always maintained that it "appeared" to give me the best distance and performance around the green. Flightscope busted that perception. I still love how it performs but distance wise it is potentially costing me up to 20m because it is generally spinning off the chart. With the V1x and Hex black I was consistently around 2600-2700rpm but with the Xi-x was getting up to 3800-4500rpm. There were a few I kept below 3000 but only due to catching it low on the face. So I think I'm going to try the new V1x and Hex to see how they go.

All up I'm very happy and extremely grateful to the technologies that help us get better. It's awesome.

Those are impressive numbers. Pro tour caliber launch numbers. Sounds like you got the right driver.

The club is perfect, being able to dish up those numbers consistently is the next issue. However the aim was the setup of the club, so the "reject shot" option might have been used just a few times ;-)

Hello. My name is Haggis. I am an addict. I cannot control myself and need help. I bought the Covert regular flex set at 10.5 today after testing it against my RBZ and a Tour Edge XCG6. The numbers don't lie. Spin was noticeably lower with the Covert with the XCG coming in second. Launch was lower with the XCG which kept it competitive distance wise even with the higher spin rate. Covert was about 5 yards longer using an average. Most important was the grouping of the Covert was very tight with very little left/right dispersion. If the fairway woods were adjustable in the KK Black I'd be interested in testing them against the RBZ as I like a 16-16.5 degree loft in my 3/4 fairway wood instead of a 15 degree.

Congrats on the new purchase and the extra length!

Heck yeah peeps. Delivery today. Range tomorrow. I'm frikken pumped

Working 3 days this week and putting all that cash straight toward a Covert, I think. Need to see some numbers this weekend.

The Kiyoshi Black is an absolute beast in this thing.

e6azygev.jpg

Looking good Bushy!

That looks awesome in the kyoshi black. Would love to hear the results this shows you.
Get mine in tomorrow in the AD DI6x.

No worries. Will do. Here is a bit of a better pic showing off the shaft.

panehe6u.jpg

equ8ydy5.jpg

Last edited:
Working 3 days this week and putting all that cash straight toward a Covert, I think. Need to see some numbers this weekend.

Im thiking of going in the next few days and try out the regluar flex against the stiff this time, and hopefully even be able to mess with loft too

Im thiking of going in the next few days and try out the regluar flex against the stiff this time, and hopefully even be able to mess with loft too

I was thinking of doing this today. But last time I went to GG I didn't get to compare flexes and the monitor doesn't help me. No way to tell how my shots end up because it only gives you spin rates, it doesn't show you if you're hitting a draw or fade. It has a middle line on the screen that determines right or left, and if you hit left of it it simulates or spin rate and draw shape. But even if you hit the ball to the right side of said line with draw spin, the simulator would show it moving right.

Not sure if that makes any sense.

I was thinking of doing this today. But last time I went to GG I didn't get to compare flexes and the monitor doesn't help me. No way to tell how my shots end up because it only gives you spin rates, it doesn't show you if you're hitting a draw or fade. It has a middle line on the screen that determines right or left, and if you hit left of it it simulates or spin rate and draw shape. But even if you hit the ball to the right side of said line with draw spin, the simulator would show it moving right.

Not sure if that makes any sense.

Yeah I know what ur saying, would Be tough to get a good idea how u are doing for sure. I'm a visual guy, gotta see it on the screen lol

Yeah I know what ur saying, would Be tough to get a good idea how u are doing for sure. I'm a visual guy, gotta see it on the screen lol
Yup. And not knowing if I'm drawing it or fading it is scary. Nothing like thinking you're playing draw on the monitor and then getting to the course and slicing the hell out of it haha.

Yup. And not knowing if I'm drawing it or fading it is scary. Nothing like thinking you're playing draw on the monitor and then getting to the course and slicing the hell out of it haha.

Lol yep, I know The feeling all to well

I was absolutely crushing this thing today. Does anyone else find that you have to tee the ball a little lower with this driver? I certainly do.

I was absolutely crushing this thing today. Does anyone else find that you have to tee the ball a little lower with this driver? I certainly do.
I've found that to be the case for every Nike driver I've owned.

You guys got me interested even tho I can't stand the bottom of this club. Going to a demo day to test it out.

You guys got me interested even tho I can't stand the bottom of this club. Going to a demo day to test it out.
Never understood why people care about the bottom. You never see that part of the club unless it's in your bag without a head cover.

I love the sounds of that. I get uncomfortable when teeing the ball up high

Back