Switching to lighter shafts

golfinFF

Reaction score
Handicap
21.9 oob
How did those of you who have switched to a lighter shaft done it?

When I swing a shaft in the 60g my swing feels off.

I recently swung a few light shafts in drivers- rip 60, b. asha 4s and one other one.

The rip 60 was in a 910d3 and I swung that combo against the 913d3 with the diamana d+ 72. I liked the shaft feel of the heavier diamana just because of weight, the numbers were almost identical.

When I swung the RIP I didn't feel as I was going after the ball as hard but my swing speed was the same. Maybe it's just a mental thing for me.

So how do you switch yourself to the lighter shaft?

Learn a smoother transition and find a swing weight that feels good to you. Getting the swing weight dialed in to something that makes you comfortable is crucial when going light.

I went lighter in my irons, but for some reason, I went heavier in my woods. I don't know why, as I am thinking about it. I over power 55 gram driver shafts, but 98 gram iron shafts are perfect.

Sort of a lame answer, but I just never thought about it much.

thanks for the info guys.

The lighter shaft will cause peoples tempo, and swing plane to change. Some people can adjust, others just cannot. If you don't like the light shafts, then just don't play them. It's not like there are any huge performance differences. It's arguable the lighter shaft will result in a higher swing speed. If anything it's marginal and offset by inconsistent ball striking for some.

Switching to the KBS 90s really transformed my swing. It was an adjustment in the beginning but made such a positive impression on the swing

It may be that you have a fast transition and/or late release. Not that these characteristics dictate the need for a heavier shaft, but my fitting experience suggests most players with them prefer a little more weight.

How did those of you who have switched to a lighter shaft done it?

When I swing a shaft in the 60g my swing feels off.

I recently swung a few light shafts in drivers- rip 60, b. asha 4s and one other one.

The rip 60 was in a 910d3 and I swung that combo against the 913d3 with the diamana d+ 72. I liked the shaft feel of the heavier diamana just because of weight, the numbers were almost identical.

When I swung the RIP I didn't feel as I was going after the ball as hard but my swing speed was the same. Maybe it's just a mental thing for me.

So how do you switch yourself to the lighter shaft?

I switched to lighter shafts in my bag from top to bottom. For me, like Hawk said, I tried to pay it no mind. However, what I found is that I really worked on my swing tempo and motion. In the past I always had a hitch at the top of my swing, when switching to the lighter shafts, I found that my motion was more fluid and just an all around swing that was more smooth.

Thanks for all the info fellas. I suppose I got some stuff to work on and need to mentally adjust. I think the mental side is every sport I've played has been about explosive/fast change of direction as well the way I train for work.

Then its quite possible that a lighter shaft offers you no advantage as Sleuth noted above. As anecdotal comment, I have a smooth tempo (3 on the Mizuno Optimizer) with a driver swing just over 100 MPH and I cannot play any shafts lighter than 75 grams as I start missing center too much.

Thanks for all the info fellas. I suppose I got some stuff to work on and need to mentally adjust. I think the mental side is every sport I've played has been about explosive/fast change of direction as well the way I train for work.

Thanks sleuth and bellairemi I haven't ever really spent much time with them to see if I could adjust to the lighter driver shafts. It's usually a dozen swings here or there and then I move on.

I've never been on a mizuno shaft optimizer and have no clue what I'd be on it but I am pretty sure my transition is back down at the ball is fast and not smooth as some.

Back