2013 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw this. In regards to form and knee pain, more than likely after a while on the bike, most riders will flare their knees outward as it seems a bit easier. Doing that causes unneeded stress on your knees. When riding, make sure to keep your knees tucked in toward the frame of the bike, and try to bring them straight up to your chest, rather than flaring out.

This is probably most definitely true!

That said - I'm pretty sure Kevin, like me, is probably in his 40's? And like it or not, our body's recuperate differently when we start getting "experienced"! I can still do a lot of the things I did in my 20's, and still as much if not more than most current 20 year olds ( which is sad ), but still not quite as often, or often not quite as intensely. And you have to take more time to prehab, recover ( stretching, etc ) when you get older. if I did the leg workouts I did in my 20's, I probably would only do that once a week now. I work as hard as anyone I know, but sometimes we just need to check our ego at the door - and yea, at times that is very hard!

Bottom line today is though - there is some damn hard work going on here, and those that are doing it are being rewarded! Don't you wish your job was always like that?!!

Last edited:
Just got back from NYC (had been there since Thursday). It was one of those weeks of killing as many birds with one stone as I could. I lined up as many client dinner/drinks as humanly possible. Unfortunately, the week also killed my eating/working out routine. It sucks too because I am only 9 days away from my beach vacation... and I was pretty close to where I wanted to be for vacation.

Now I have to minimize the losses and buckle down these next 9 days.

Went to have coffee with a friend downtown Chicago (south loop). After that I walked for literally hours. From 1200 S. to 1400 N. and all around. Had a great time but am sore today!
This morning I took a killer spin class.
The way I'm feeling this evening I may take the weekend off. Uff da'

If you were on inner Lake Shore Drive, you would have stopped just short of my old condo (1440 N.)

Due to weather we didn't ride last night. I'm currently on my way to put lakewood ranch bike shop to ride with those guys. The more advance riders do the Wednesday rides, so I'm hoping to keep pace with those dudes. 22-24mph pace us tough, but I'm hoping with my weight loss and overall fitness I can hang better than I used to. 40 miles tonight, I'm ready!

Get some war!

Finally picked up some new jeans, I cannot remember the last time I was a 34.

Finally picked up some new jeans, I cannot remember the last time I was a 34.

Dude, this is awesome to hear!! New clothes can be a great motivator !

We just finished up insanity cardio power and resistance and a c25k run!! Good night. Now off to make a healthier version of Philly cheesesteaks.

Yeah it certainly is.

Funny thing is, I was just going to get a pair or two of 36's because I only have one and the rest 38. Wouldn't have guessed the 36 would have been so big.

Now you can stock up on 34's!!!

We just finished up insanity cardio power and resistance and a c25k run!! Good night. Now off to make a healthier version of Philly cheesesteaks.

Haha great workout - good luck with the dish !

Apparently the difference between middle and back of the group and the front and pulling the pack is 40 lbs!

I killed my ride tonight, and finished the 42 miles with a 5 mile solo pull!

Apparently the difference between middle and back of the group and the front and pulling the pack is 40 lbs!

That's awesome dude, way to kill it!

At my folks house up a little early, going to attempt some time on the treadmill

This is excellent man! Way to go!

I went for a 2 mile run yesterday and started a body weight circuit training workout and this combine with the Paleo lifestyle changes I am down almost 12 pounds! I also just feel better and healthier in general. This is the first time I have ever been truly conscience and aware of what I am putting in my body on daily basis. I am convinced that this is how I need to keep living my life in order to be happier and healthier.

I started the whole Paleo diet thinking it was just that something I would do for a while and then just go back to my normal routine. Now I know that in order to stay at the weight that I want to be at I need to be very aware of what is going into my body. For me after the 30 days I am going to reintroduce some things to my diet and just see how they sit with me.

Overall I have only been doing this a short time but I am seeing results that are making me believe this could be a great thing for me. All people are different and some things will work for some and not for others but I am very happy with where I am at but I still have some work to do.

I went for a 2 mile run yesterday and started a body weight circuit training workout and this combine with the Paleo lifestyle changes I am down almost 12 pounds! I also just feel better and healthier in general. This is the first time I have ever been truly conscience and aware of what I am putting in my body on daily basis. I am convinced that this is how I need to keep living my life in order to be happier and healthier.

I started the whole Paleo diet thinking it was just that something I would do for a while and then just go back to my normal routine. Now I know that in order to stay at the weight that I want to be at I need to be very aware of what is going into my body. For me after the 30 days I am going to reintroduce some things to my diet and just see how they sit with me.

Overall I have only been doing this a short time but I am seeing results that are making me believe this could be a great thing for me. All people are different and some things will work for some and not for others but I am very happy with where I am at but I still have some work to do.

Good stuff!

Well boys and girls, I have put off my MC training as long as I can. Spring is in the air and once the Texas Invite is over on Sunday it is back to business and it's WAY over due. I'm posting in here cause I want everyone to hold me accountable on my actions and work over the next 5 months. My goals are going to be spread across spans of 4 to 6 weeks. The goal for the 1st 6 weeks is to workout at least 45 minutes doing high intensity exercises in sets. The treadmill will be used a bunch combined with sprints and basic exercise moves with the barbells, kettle bells and my own body weight. The goal is to get at least 4 days in a week.

The big switch is going to be my eating habbits. I'm cutting a lot of the carbs out (breads, wheats, rice, pasta, milk, cheese, chips, etc) and will be replacing them with veggies, fruits and nuts.

Anyways, Monday will be day 1 and will report back each week on how it's going. It use to be easy when I wasn't married and didn't have kiddos but it's time to stop using that as an excuse. Excited about getting it going!

Well boys and girls, I have put off my MC training as long as I can. Spring is in the air and once the Texas Invite is over on Sunday it is back to business and it's WAY over due. I'm posting in here cause I want everyone to hold me accountable on my actions and work over the next 5 months. My goals are going to be spread across spans of 4 to 6 weeks. The goal for the 1st 6 weeks is to workout at least 45 minutes doing high intensity exercises in sets. The treadmill will be used a bunch combined with sprints and basic exercise moves with the barbells, kettle bells and my own body weight. The goal is to get at least 4 days in a week.

The big switch is going to be my eating habbits. I'm cutting a lot of the carbs out (breads, wheats, rice, pasta, milk, cheese, chips, etc) and will be replacing them with veggies, fruits and nuts.

Anyways, Monday will be day 1 and will report back each week on how it's going. It use to be easy when I wasn't married and didn't have kiddos but it's time to stop using that as an excuse. Excited about getting it going!

Good luck and your right this is a great forum to keep yourself accountable. Every time I feel like a day off, I check this thread for motivation. Don't mind being the guy with less talent, just don't want to be the guy that out worked.

Look forward to hearing about your progress!

Yea, it's tough when you have a family! I get up at 5:30 in the morning M-F to go.. it's the only way I can go and not feel like I am robbing the family of my time. The big benefit of it though is that I feel so much better ( energy, outlook, ettc ) that it isn't even hard! The funny thing is, I took 3 days off to recover as I have been working hard now for like 5 weeks..so I go back to work out today and then tweak something in my back! Getting it checked out tomorrow if I can muddle through work today.

Thanks guys. Yea, I'll be pulling the 6am time or the 9pm time, just don't know which yet. I'm right at 235 but need to be around 210. My goal is to get in the 20somethings by summer.

Good luck buddy. I'm sure you will do great and exceed whatever goals you throw ahead of you.

Good luck Nate! Stick with it no matter what you will be so happy you did. This is a great thread for support if you need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back