Erky

Reaction score
Does anybody play these? I am sort of a club snob, so I generally avoid them. However, there is some old guy in my regular scramble who happened to be paired with me today. After the 9th hole, he goes "Oh I have a club in my car you just GOTTA try!".

He shows up at the 10th tee with a club called an Integra Soooo Long Cup Face 9.5*. It has a shaft on it called an Accuflex Creation Nanomet Pro Tour Only, which he claims is a $300 shaft. I laughed for like 5 minutes at the "Pro Tour Only" printed on the shaft. Anyway, I hit this driver, and it was legit. I hit it the entire back 9, and hit it far longer than my normal gamer, and longer than I was hitting my friend's Covert or the RBZ Stage 2. Not just a little bit longer. WAY longer (25 yards). Maybe it was my swing, but now I am scared that I am going to have to put an Integra driver into my bag. Tell me this was all in my mind.

Was the club legal?

Does anybody play these? I am sort of a club snob, so I generally avoid them. However, there is some old guy in my regular scramble who happened to be paired with me today. After the 9th hole, he goes "Oh I have a club in my car you just GOTTA try!".

He shows up at the 10th tee with a club called an Integra Soooo Long Cup Face 9.5*. It has a shaft on it called an Accuflex Creation Nanomet Pro Tour Only, which he claims is a $300 shaft. I laughed for like 5 minutes at the "Pro Tour Only" printed on the shaft. Anyway, I hit this driver, and it was legit. I hit it the entire back 9, and hit it far longer than my normal gamer, and longer than I was hitting my friend's Covert or the RBZ Stage 2. Not just a little bit longer. WAY longer (25 yards). Maybe it was my swing, but now I am scared that I am going to have to put an Integra driver into my bag. Tell me this was all in my mind.

Its possible they are that much longer, but its also possible they are not USGA approved. Have you checked eBay for them? I like using eBay as a gauge, as you can tell pretty easily what things are truly worth.

If it works for you I say get one. The major OEM's don't have a monopoly on equipment that works, just a monopoly equipment that Tour Pro's use cause they pay them to play it.

I'm not sure if the Integra is on the USGA list or not but they do make some nice clubs. That Creation shaft was a beast in its time - certainly a great shaft for big hitters.

47" inch shaft according to the website. Also extremely light. Both should add some club head speed.

Yeah, looked it up and not seeing $300. I own some clone irons and thoroughly hate them, but I also have a crappy shaft in them. If the guy let you hit the club for a whole round, he probably wouldn't have a problem with you trying it again. Money is irrelevant when it comes to 25 yards.

Yeah, looked it up and not seeing $300. I own some clone irons and thoroughly hate them, but I also have a crappy shaft in them. If the guy let you hit the club for a whole round, he probably wouldn't have a problem with you trying it again. Money is irrelevant when it comes to 25 yards.

not true at all, but that's not on topic.

what is on topic is that if you like it, look for one on ebay or craigslist on the cheap and if you can snag it and you do hit it better than your gamer, than there's one piece of the bag that doesn't need to be upgraded.

what is on topic is that if you like it, look for one on ebay or craigslist on the cheap and if you can snag it and you do hit it better than your gamer, than there's one piece of the bag that doesn't need to be upgraded.

What's "not true at all"? I'm not following.

that money is irrelevant when it's another 25 yards on your drives

That's his opinion, he was not stating it as fact or absolutely true. Let's please not go down that path.

Accuflex was a decently popular company that has since went under. Several long drive option shafts in their time.

Yeah, sorry I didn't mean it like: "It doesn't matter how much money it costs as long as you hit it farther than your buddies". I meant that for what he could sell his current driver for, the Integra's price point shouldn't be much of a factor, especially for how much better he was hitting it. Aka, for the improvement he was getting and for how much he could sell his driver for, the Integra wouldn't be a problem. I never have and never will view distance as a make-or-break point in golf.

I know from my thirty five years of playing golf, that when there is money involved, the guy with the older, no name clubs always scare me the most. It often means they have something that works and they know them well. Not always the case when it someone with a bag full of the latest & greatest.

I know from my thirty five years of playing golf, that when there is money involved, the guy with the older, no name clubs always scare me the most. It often means they have something that works and they know them well. Not always the case when it someone with a bag full of the latest & greatest.

Yup, and they're too busy working on their swing to be in the big box store trying to find the best new driver.

Yup, and they're too busy working on their swing to be in the big box store trying to find the best new driver.

Should be noted. Those two things are not mutually exclusive.

And a little worn spot the size of a nickel right on the sweet spot.

I don't sweat it, there's off-brand and WAY off-brand stuff. If you can hit something that's not mainstream, terrific. My only concern would be durability on the really off-brand stuff. I mean the things made on the cheap.

One of the guys I go on a golf trip with every year had an "NF Professional" 3 wood for a decade. He hit the snot out of it, and it held up just fine. That's "off-brand", but not something churned out for pennies where getting one to suit you is a total crapshoot.

Accuflex was a tour played brand at one point one of which included Tom Watson. Unfortunately they fell victim to the economic downturn and are no more. There are some Accuflex shafts still out there but most I think are created by Integra (not sure). And yes at one point that Creation shaft was $300 when it first came out.

I swung a set of Turbo Power clubs for about 10 years. They were (I think) Callawy knock-offs back when the Big Bertha metal woods were real popular. I bought them with insurance money when my old Wilsons, and a bunch of other belongings disappeared in a burglary in 2000. They fit my need for a matched set of clubs for many years until I got back into the game seriously a few years ago. Those old Turbos have seen some mighty fine courses in Hawaii and all over the US. I hit my personal best score in the summer of 2010 with them.

My guess would be the driver was non-conforming, i.e. "hot!" Still would be fun to bomb out there farther than normal, regardless of the club. I love that commercial you see on GC all the time, where you can send your driver in and get it modified. "Is it legal? Hell no!" Cracks me up every time.

Accuflex was a decently popular company that has since went under. Several long drive option shafts in their time.

Accuflex made great shafts. I still have a driver with an Accuflex Evolution in it and I'm considering pulling it to use in my current driver!!

Back