Callaway HEX Chrome+ Golf Ball Review Thread

Thanks Callaway for letting us use these at the invitational! I love this ball! Longer and straighter than my NXT Tour's and still feel great around the greens!
Sounds like they are really performing for you!

As it was mentioned by the OP, we all were given a dozen of these balls. Thank you to Callaway for the balls, it was a great treat. The ball to me is a mix of the Black and Chrome. The cover feels softer than the chrome and actually has the feel of a top premium golf ball.

What stood out to me was the control I saw out of the ball. The ball flights I saw we're tight and controlled. And as Taylor mentioned, the golf ball is long. The conditions in Texas were windy to say the least. And the ball seemed to cut right through it. An example of this was on the back nine on the par5 14th, a dog left hole with a fairway that slopes to the right. The wind was blowing hard left to right and I played a tight cut down the left hand side with a 3W. If the ball moved 5yds I'd be surprised. I was left with 217 to an uphill green into the breeze. With hybrid I played another tight cut that finished 18" from the hole. The ball performed as if the wind was not blowing at all.

The ball is very durable as others have said. It looked like new after 9 holes. It had decent spin around the greens and rolled nice off the putter. I'm very excited to get another round under my belt on Friday and I will of course have more feed back.

Sounds like they are really performing for you!

So well I had to go out and play them today to make sure it wasn't a fluke! I was really happy with my NXT tours but these are just fantastic. I played terribly at the invitational so I wasn't sure about the difference in balls. Today my ball striking was much better and I could see the extra distance. The best part for me is that they still have great feel in the short game.

Just from reading some of these I think i'm going to have to try it later in the season. Be interesting to see if these or the 330RXS works better for my game.

What I'm reading on these so far has me really intrigued. I'm going to have to give this a whirl when I can.

I'm traveling right now but I'll have a full review tomorrow night...but here's a spoiler ....take the best of the Hex Black and the best of the Hex Chrome and mix them in a blender and you will get this ball!! It's awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just hoping you can chime in on what was the best of each ball (As in Last years Black and Chrome).

I have three coming your way, PM me your address

:bulgy-eyes:

Where did those come from?

Just hoping you can chime in on what was the best of each ball (As in Last years Black and Chrome).

:bulgy-eyes:

Where did those come from?
From Harry at the PGA show, he gave a sleeve of the yellow and I know chunky wants them. You have my three remaining sleeves.

From Harry at the PGA show, he gave a sleeve of the yellow and I know chunky wants them. You have my three remaining sleeves.

This has absolutely nothing to do with your review, but locating the golf balls. The empty Chrome+ box was in the cart when I took the cart after you left. I threw the empty box into Sharks trunk, so we didn't leave any evidence laying behind for others to stumble upon and get curious about.

As for your 14th hole, I'll vouch for Freddie there. He and that ball played that hole as beautifully as you could.

Here we go again.... I didn't know they have a yellow version as well, that is good to know. You want me to send you 2 sleeves?

want to try these... hmm. retail pricing..?

Here we go again.... I didn't know they have a yellow version as well, that is good to know. You want me to send you 2 sleeves?
No brother Jesse, just messing around

The biggest problem I see with these righ tnow is that they don't come out for another 30 days :(

I was really looking forward to putting these in play last night, but due to the erratic swing yesterday, I kept these in the bag. I have about 20 holes in with these and I was really pleased with what I was seeing. Good speed off the face of the driver and irons, wedges would stick on the green with minimal run out, and it felt soft coming off the putter face.
All in all I was very pleased with this ball. Can't wait until I can get these in play again. I like what Callaway has done with this ball, creating a ball with characteristics that cover it all, IMO.

I am probably not the best person to review a golfball. Being a high capper, for the most part, they all seem pretty much the same to me. That's why I gave a sleeve to J4U to try out.

Again, as witnessed by Doug yesterday, these balls get an F- for floating, but do get an A+ for sinking.

Off the tee, I did notice a lot less side spin with these changing my normal slice into a nice fade.

I don't know if anyone noticed over the weekend, but I play a lot of bump and run shots around the green.
Whether I played these with a hybrid or an iron the ball reacted well, not a lot of excessive roll out and good stopping ability.

So could this be a ball that would dare mimic the TP Red LDP and succeed?

I'm definitely gonna have to give these a try. I typically play the HEX Black but could see these being a better option for me

Here is my initial thought of this amazing ball Callaway has put out. This ball has been longer off the tee for me than the TP5, TP3, E5, E6 and Wilson FG tour ball. I felt like I could really compress the ball and had a nice soft feel of my driver. One drive I had on sunday measured 324yds based on my reamaining distance left to the hole and yardage from score card. But based on tee placement I think it was closer to 300-310 which is by far been my longest drive this season. Side spin was very minimal and my fade was virtually non existant.

Off the irons, the feel was about the same as the driver and spin was great. I made several shots onto the green and the ball stuck with a nice little roll out. With the short irons this ball really stuck on the greens which I like and consider it like or better than the Wilson FG tour. The TP3/5 did not come close to the spin of these 2 ball for me.

Wedges I could get the ball to stick with no problem. I really like this as I have never been able to do it with any other ball.

Putter had a nice soft feel that was not clicky at all.

Overall I have found my new gamer ball. It has really performed well for me. I am very pleased with it. I had to really mess up a shot in order for it to go in the water or in the woods. Other than that, I had no problems keepin it in the fairway or just barely off of it.

So if any of you do not like this ball, please feel free to send any remaining balls to me. Thanks!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0

This sounds like a ball that I could get along with. Lower driver spin and acceptable spin around the green is the ticket for me. Been playing the Z-Star XV lately...anyone have a comparison with that ball?

I definitely think that a lot of people could find these to be a "best of all worlds" type ball.

While my game is not in a very consistent place at the moment, I did have some pretty decent shots with these in Texas.

In the distance category, I thought I had probably one of my best drives that I can remember on #10 at TangleRidge. Long and straight, leaving me with a partial wedge into the par 4 green. That's pretty much unheard of for me. Off the irons, I had a few good shots to keep me coming back. A well struck 5 iron into the wind carried a water hazard beautifully, and a 7 iron on #4 put me square onto the green from 110 yards out.

In terms of sidespin control, I struggled with my usual slice off the tee for quite a few holes. I feel like the Hex Chrome+ helped to keep that a little bit under control, and most of my errant shots ended up still in bounds and discoverable, even if not ideally located. All told I believe I lost 4 balls at TangleRidge, but those were due to the train coming off the tracks and no ball would have controlled those shots.

Greenside spin even seemed to show signs of healthy performance. I usually don't play for spin, and instead count on roll out. There were a couple of times over the weekend that this hurt me, as I was not expecting the ball to check at all. With a bit more time to get used to the ball, I don't think that this would be an issue, and would actually be what many players are looking for.

Here is my initial thought of this amazing ball Callaway has put out. This ball has been longer off the tee for me than the TP5, TP3, E5, E6 and Wilson FG tour ball. I felt like I could really compress the ball and had a nice soft feel of my driver. One drive I had on sunday measured 324yds based on my reamaining distance left to the hole and yardage from score card. But based on tee placement I think it was closer to 300-310 which is by far been my longest drive this season. Side spin was very minimal and my fade was virtually non existant.

Off the irons, the feel was about the same as the driver and spin was great. I made several shots onto the green and the ball stuck with a nice little roll out. With the short irons this ball really stuck on the greens which I like and consider it like or better than the Wilson FG tour. The TP3/5 did not come close to the spin of these 2 ball for me.

Wedges I could get the ball to stick with no problem. I really like this as I have never been able to do it with any other ball.

Putter had a nice soft feel that was not clicky at all.

Overall I have found my new gamer ball. It has really performed well for me. I am very pleased with it. I had to really mess up a shot in order for it to go in the water or in the woods. Other than that, I had no problems keepin it in the fairway or just barely off of it.

So if any of you do not like this ball, please feel free to send any remaining balls to me. Thanks!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0

Nice review Capt Dru. Do you know what your swing speed is? Is this something that you need to be 105+ on? Thanks

Back