Callaway HEX Chrome+ Golf Ball Review Thread

Well I have been holding out from reading this thread until I had a chance to test them myself so that I was not tainted in my opinion. First impression is that they feel really good off the tee, very solid compression and flight. Slightly lower than my normal ball, Bridgestone 330S. It was windy on the course yesterday and one thing that I noticed is that the ball seemed to be affected by the wind more than I was expecting. Not 100% sure that it was the ball but felt as though I had to adjust my aim point. I felt as though the ball was spinning plenty, but going to reserve opinion on that until later as the greens I was hitting into are new and somewhat inconsistent so was not able to get good feedback in that regard. Overall, I think that it is a very good ball, but not ready to switch just yet, going to take some more testing to do something like that.

Callaway demo day here next week hoping they may have some that I can talk them out to give them a try. Already have the yellow on preorder and hoped they would be out before my next tournament but alas the release date is about a week after my next tourney. :banghead:

I can't wait to give this ball a try. Everyone's impressions of the ball have gotten me pretty excited for the release of this ball.

I took these out for another test run today during a tournament at my home course. I'm still really impressed with this ball. I really like the feel of these off irons and wedges and like the distance I'm getting on the driver when I hit it solidly. There were a few holes I put a bad swing on there and had a pretty big slice, but it wasn't the ball. For some reason, I've been doing that quite a bit over the past several weeks. Other than that, the ball did exactly what I expected from it. I even got an ace on the 16th hole with it. There is a really good chance this is going to be my new game ball. It just seems to perform a little better to me than the Bridgestone Tour B330 that I've been playing for the past couple of years.

Wow congrats on the ace!! And this only might be your ball!! :)

Hopefully I cane get a round in sometime next week & see how they go for me. I'm excited, almost like Christmas morning.

For those of you testing are you seeing any durability issues. I played 18 yesterday and used 2 balls, 1 on each 9. I had some minor shredding and discoloration from wedge play.

For those of you testing are you seeing any durability issues. I played 18 yesterday and used 2 balls, 1 on each 9. I had some minor shredding and discoloration from wedge play.

Nothing outside the ordinary. If anything, it seems a little more durable compared to the Hex Black.

Good to hear - I didn't play the black just last years chrome.

Nothing outside the ordinary. If anything, it seems a little more durable compared to the Hex Black.

I agree with this. I've actually been pretty impressed with the durability. It wears much less than the Tour B330 I'm used to.

If the weather clears some tomorrow, I may go do some short game testing and some putting. Would really like to get a better feel for this ball, before I take it back on the course. My initial thoughts were very good, but that was for only one round in windy conditions.

I have been looking to replace my Blacks with something a little more durable but with the same type of feel and performance. I am guessing this is my replacement ball?

I have been looking to replace my Blacks with something a little more durable but with the same type of feel and performance. I am guessing this is my replacement ball?

I would at least give it a try if I were you.

I found one of these on the course on Sat and played it. It seemed like a pretty good ball. Might have to buy a few more to try out.

I found one of these on the course on Sat and played it. It seemed like a pretty good ball. Might have to buy a few more to try out.

Nice dude! They aren't supposed to be coming out until Mid April though so you may not be able to buy some right away.

doh, hehe. I didn't know that. THX

Video posted from Callaway about the HEX Chrome+. I think people will enjoy this one

I'll be back to testing with the Chrome+ here this weekend. I've got the NCGA Pub Links qualifier Thursday to take care of first then a few weeks off between tournaments where I'll put the ball through the some good tests.

I like how the Callaway stuff is not scripted, it's very real.

I like how the Callaway stuff is not scripted, it's very real.
I thought it looked like a turn your head and cough move from the still of the video they have on the main page. Might not be scripted, but defiantly over animated for sure.

Keep up the great reviews guys. You've almost got me talked into trying these out this year. I tried the Hex Black and the Chrome last year and liked the Black but didn't like the Chrome, so something in between sounds promising.

so i got a chance to use the Chrome + today i again used the regular chrome for the front 9 and the + for the back. i really am impressed at how they combined the black and the chrome balls into 1. i def can see this being my ball for '13. I was seeing great ball control and a lot less side spin off the tee i was hitting straight drives, being able to fade when i wanted to and even hit a Draw (for me thats impressive) and i really enjoyed the ball around the greens and on wedge shots... putting with it was really good i like the mix between the chrome and the black has a great check an roll for chips and a great feel off my putter face. i did chew the ball up pretty good but i'm using non regulation wedges and any ball i've used with them since getting them have been destroyed rather quickly and these actually did last a little longer than the blacks did the other day when i was using them for chip and putt.

I just got a sleeve of these at Golf Galaxy for demoing a Xhot 3W. Now if the snow would just go away I can compare them to the black

Really like what I'm hearing so far from everyone. Can't wait to pick some of these up when they are released. Seems like it's got everything I'm looking for in a ball.

Back