TaylorMade RBZ Stage 2 Fairway Review Thread

To all the testers, I would like to know if you still see the crown graphics when you look down at the head or have they sort of blended into the performace. For me I know they are there but I do not use the graphics for alignment so they have kind of blended into the performance for me.

The crown has really never been a focus of my attention and have to agree with you about them blending. Being the first white component I've bagged, that was more of something to get over than the graphics as I don't use them for alignment either.

Official Testing Review Stage 2 FW 15*

I got out to the range yesterday after work in some cold and windy to do some testing. I hit about 10-15 off the deck but most swings with the Stage 2 were off the tee as I am trying to get as comfortable hitting it off the tee as off the deck. I've been missing it left off the tee but hitting it straight from the deck and I don't really have an explanation as why other than I'm over swinging off the tee.

The distance with the Stage 2 off the tee cannot be understated. It is a beast. When I compared it on the launch monitor with las year's model, I saw 4 more yards in average carry distance--from 256 to 260. Not a huge difference but noteworthy IMO. The Stage 2 has been a good alternative for me in days when I'm struggling with the driver. I am also seeing a tighter dispersion and more forgiveness on mishits.

On the range yesterday I focused taking a nice easy swing and saw great results. Repeatable high draws right on target or within an acceptable range on a miss. Whenever I went after it, things got a little crazy. I see the same thing with my driver and other clubs so there is no surprise to see anything different from the Stage 2.

All in all, it was a good day of testing and I am very pleased with the Stage 2.

Jeff, since you lose it left off the tee, do you think you are missing on the club face? Or is just when you try and get after it?

I apologize for the delay in posting, but life changes occurred with a very close friend.

Park Hill Golf Course
March 20th
Temps: low 40's
Wind: 8-10mph

RonInThornton and I took out on what we thought was going to be a warm day, but ended up being rather chilly with the wind and cloud cover. I had decided this week that I would game my driver off the tee and leave the RBZS2 in the bag except when needed off the deck. This was my first time playing with the driver and it showed, but was more directly associated with swing issues and holding back. Not a good combination, but with the open course was able to play every tee shot. Both the guy we were playing with and our cart died on the 5th hole and had to call in to the club house to get new carts brought out just in time.

Hole 18 (557yd Par 5)was the only time the RBZS2 was pulled from the bag. My tee shot with the driver produced a big push fade that landed under some trees. I did have a clear shot out 200 yards and was hoping to get enough flight to clear them. I had the ball too far back in my stance and out flew an absolute bullet that hit in the top 1/4 of the trees between me and the green. Upon approach (Red Circle), we found that the ball had made it through the trees and kicked right into an opening 140 yards out. I still had another group of trees right in front of the green to clear, but put a great swing on my 9I and landed 12 feet from the pin. Missed the birdie putt, but tapped in for par.
Hole%2018%20Park%20Hill.png

With only being pulled once in this round...outstanding job and forgiveness (luck) into the trees.

Wellshire Golf Course
March 21st
Temps: 40's-mid 50's
Wind: 5-9mph

MHG and I went out to play this mature track and could only imagine the big names that walked similar paths as we did. Can't wait to get back out on this course once summer gets here. Aside from my wedges almost completely leaving any knowledge of the game in the bag, was a pretty good round. They (I mean my inability to hit these usually simple shots) cost me more strokes than can be put on two hands...yep...that bad.

Hole number 1 (511yd Par 5) was the only hole the RBZS2 was pulled on as I continued to put the driver into play. Again, not being totally comfortable yet and putting a good swing on the driver. On more that one occasion I could have gained more distance if I had pulled the RBZS2 off the tee, but stuck with the game plan. All tee shots were playable at this time of year, but would not have been the case in the summer. My tee shot ended just off the first cut to the right and pulled the RBZS2 out of the bag. Out shot a lower flighted screamer that landed in the fairway and rolled all the way up and on to the green setting up an Eagle attempt. I had a 15ft putt that I thought was going to drop...alas...tap in birdie. What a great way to start out the round, but the next 5 holes proved and lack of wedge play 95% of the time proved otherwise!
Hole%201%20Wilshire.png

Overall Thoughts:

The RBZS2 still inspires confidence when pulled from the bag and will probably start using it more off the tee from time to time. I want to spend more time with it on the course and unless I play some longer courses, just hitting off the deck will provide few opportunities. As pace allows, I will also put more time against my AMP Cell FW both off the deck and tee. This is truly a club that could put a smile on many a faces, but also cause gap issues at the top. A lot of testers and others that have made the jump and purchased, have mentioned that fact. With this years releases across the board, I'm thinking that more attention needs to be made in the gap area when the top of the bag changes are being considered.

Thanks again Ron and Randy for helping me through a tough week and getting out on the course to free my mind and enjoyed the time on the courses!

Jeff, since you lose it left off the tee, do you think you are missing on the club face? Or is just when you try and get after it?

Sometimes when I miss it left, I'm hitting it off the toe a bit more--only slightly though. I was looking at the wear pattern on the face and might post a pic after work, but the majority of the wear is in the sweet spot. I think when I'm hitting it from the fairway, I really focus on making solid contact and 'keeping my head' down so I take a more controlled swing.

J4U--nice write up. You bring up a good point about gapping. It hasn't caused any issues for me, other than closing the gap to my driver. If you end up keeping the Stage 2 in your bag, would have to look at re-working the top end of your bag?

If you end up keeping the Stage 2 in your bag, would have to look at re-working the top end of your bag?

Thank you.

I could make the club work with the current driver, but will have to verify that once my adapter comes in and I put my Basha into it. Right now, I am getting the right gaping from the FW to the driver and still could utilize the RBZS2 when the driver isn't working. Most courses I've played in the 6200-6500 range fit well with the distance I'm getting off the tee with the RBZS2. Having the driver working would get me towards the bottom of the bag, but usually see nothing higher than a 7I with the RBZS2.

As far as stepping down from the RBZS2, I could have an issue with the hybrid having a larger gap between the two. I do have some adjustment with that club and could drop the loft a couple degrees if needed to close said gap. However, I really haven't notice a need at the moment on the courses being played, where I need something in that larger gap. Time will tell as I get out on some courses I haven't played before this year.

Hope that made sense....

Thank you.

I could make the club work with the current driver, but will have to verify that once my adapter comes in and I put my Basha into it. Right now, I am getting the right gaping from the FW to the driver and still could utilize the RBZS2 when the driver isn't working. Most courses I've played in the 6200-6500 range fit well with the distance I'm getting off the tee with the RBZS2. Having the driver working would get me towards the bottom of the bag, but usually see nothing higher than a 7I with the RBZS2.

As far as stepping down from the RBZS2, I could have an issue with the hybrid having a larger gap between the two. I do have some adjustment with that club and could drop the loft a couple degrees if needed to close said gap. However, I really haven't notice a need at the moment on the courses being played, where I need something in that larger gap. Time will tell as I get out on some courses I haven't played before this year.

Hope that made sense....

Thanks for answering. Definitely makes sense to me. I sometimes will make adjustments to my bag for certain courses.

To know the truth, I believe that the initial feel of the club was that the tip felt weak. I have gotten used to the feel on the shaft now, but I just think that in the beginning it felt like the head wanted to rush ahead of the shaft in the hitting zone. If that makes sense.
And, I wanted to point out that I actually have the Rocket Fuel 60g regular shaft. The shaft that I have in my R9 is an F1 85g shaft. The intial feeling may have actually been a combination of 2 things. First would be the weight of the shaft/head vs my R9. Second, I think would be the hooks I was producing with aggressive swings. Thinking back on when I first received the Stage 2, I did not see any draw bias in the club head, I thought it was set up to neutral. So I believed it sad something different about the shaft. But now I believe the combination of a few things. The weight, draw bias head, and the difference in feel from the R9.
I will say this, I prefer a firm to stiff shaft in my clubs. This regular flex Rocket fuel plays firm in my eyes. I have definitely come to enjoy it and the results it produces.

Appreciate those observations on the regular flex rocket fuel. I am 67 and depending on shaft profile prefer stiff in some and regular in others. The two Stage 2 fairway freebies I won are coming in reg. flex, based on your findings sounds like the shaft plays like a strong regular, that should work for me. See exactly what you mean re your R9 MOTORE 85 SET UP having a different feel.
Since the non tour stage 2 is not adjustable I selected the 15 and 17 #3 woods. When I get them might swap the HL 17 degree 3 WOOD for the 19 degree #5 , my mind keeps going back and forth on which way to go .

The snow has melted! It's going to be 58 degrees tomorrow. FINALLY! It is going to happen. I don't care if I have to spend $50 at the driving range, I am going to pound the paint off the Stage 2 tomorrow.

Those of you worried a out gaping issue, how far off are things with the stage2 in the bag? From past experience the original rbz feel right into place. The stage 2 seems like it will fall into place very well.

Those of you worried a out gaping issue, how far off are things with the stage2 in the bag? From past experience the original rbz feel right into place. The stage 2 seems like it will fall into place very well.

Freddie, I'm looking at a gap of 40-50 yds if I pull my gamer 3w at this time. What I would need is to replace my hybrids. But what I am going to try and do is add the 4i back into the bag with this new iron set and keep my original 3w and see how that goes for a while.

I am not too concerned, but with it being brought up...going to take the Cell driver, RBZS2 FW, Cell 3/4 FW, Cell 3/4 HB, and the 4I out for a little quality time at the range. Tomorrow or Saturday should be nice and see if my thinking still holds true. Something a little different to work on, thanks for the question Freddie. Hope you get some answers for your neck without a knife involved! Know the pain...T&P's.

LtEvO TaPpEd

I'm still in love with these incredible bombs and I just got it regripped with my NDMC Whiteout. I think the yellow/black would've matched better, but I think the uniformness works better. I'm now looking for a driver than can match it's distance. I'm thinking XHot after today's demo day.

Flashes my pearly whites and got out for a quick few holes in front of an outing, had the course to myself.

I left the driver in the car, took it to the tips and played stage2 in place of driver and another in place of 3wood.

I saw nothing out of the ordinary with the stage2, still a tight mid ball flight, a few yards of movement on the fade and pretty good ball speed of the face. I
Was surprised by the roll I saw on a few tee shots. Not typical on this course unless you hit it past certain areas.

This has yet to catch my driver as far as length and I doubt it does. But it is long enough that I could see myself hitting it off most tees and have one more club into greens. I found that trying to kill the ball doesn't get much more length but definitely puts more side spin on the ball. This is a product of the shaft but more has to do with my current condition. Swinging with in myself has been quite satisfying as of late.

The Stage2 seems to be a more advanced club than its big brother. The original was a raw distance club with some versatility. The stage 2 is movement friendly and still gives you that RBZier type distance.

Next time out I'm going to work on my trajectory. I feel with a bit of high launch I can can get some more yardage. The workability is there.

Just wrapped up my first full range session with the Stage 2. I really found a comfort spot today with this club. I came away very, VERY impressed. I'll have a full write up here after while.

Just finished a bit ago with the gap range session. My thoughts hold true with gapping between it and my driver. All good and was pleasantly surprised below the FW as well. Both the RBZ and the Cell have good gaps between the hybrid as well. Looking at approximately 20 yards or so between each from 4I on up the bag and I can live with that.

I noticed again today that the RBZS2 has a lower flight than the cell. It was getting a lot more roll out due to that fact. I didn't knock the cell down a loft from 15° because I forgot I gave mhg one of my wrenches. Will put another wrench in the bag and do that next time out.

Was good to see whichever way I go, the gaps are workable with the current setup. As soon as the MyFly adapter comes in will have to reconfirmed the Basha combo. Don't think it will be an issue.

Good to get out and looking forward to the next on course workout.

LtEvO TaPpEd

So, after a month and a half of horrible weather and some swing demons in Texas, I came roaring out of the gate today and put in one heck of a good afternoon at the range. I set out today to put in as much time with the Stage 2 as possible, as the weather has really hindered my ability to get a grasp on this club and find a comfort zone with it.

I ended up hitting, give or take, 80 balls with the Stage 2 today. My initial worries with this club was that the shaft was a little to iffy for my aggressive swing and that I needed to water down my swing a little to have success with this club. Today, I wasn't seeing or feeling that at all. The club handled just about every swing I threw at it and responded well to my aggressive style. Initially, I was saying that I was pushing everything with this club right, but I have since noticed, I am doing a bit of that with the driver/woods in my bag, so I am not going to chalk any of that up the Stage 2.

This club is LONG. Filthy long. After really puring some good shots with this club, I brought the Mashie TF3 (14*) out to see where it stacked up against the Stage 2 and the Stage 2 has the Mashie by about 10 yards. The Mashie has a noticeably higher ball flight, which makes it sneaky long for me. There is nothing sneaky about the RBZ Stage 2's length. It just blows the doors off with a smile on it's face. Towards the end of our goat track range, there is a rocket ship (goofy, I know, but it's there) and I talked to the range owner today and asked him where that rocket ship sits in regards to the hitting area and he told me from the mats, it has been lasered at 260-265 yards, depending on where you are hitting. Twice, I cleared the rocket ship by a good 10 yards and I hit the tail fin once (DOING). I am not ready to say the Stage 2 is too long for me, but it's got some muscle about it.

The Stage 2 doesn't seem to be a club you have to pure each and every time to get a good result. I hit some real stinkers with this thing today, and was rewarded with playable shots that wouldn't hurt anyones feelings. It's early and I am a little all over the place with everything in the bag thus far, but I still see a fade tendency with this club, with an occasional tight draw mixed in. If I can find a way to keep that fade consistent and not push it off the map, that is my shot of choice. Trajectory is perfect. It's high, but not ballooned. It get's where it needs to go and get's there quick.

I really struggled with this club in Texas, on the range and three or four times I pulled it during play. I was struggling with the added length I think and just wasn't sure how I needed to swing this club. Today, I kind of put a nail in all that, because I found if I have a nice, controlled take away, and explode through the ball, the shaft and this club will hold up and hold up really well. I found that adjusting my stance and widening it a tad helped me in regards to the added length of the club. If I were to purchase one, however, I would have to take that added .25" off. It just doesn't feel right to me. If the added length is there to aid in distance, I would have to say, in my case at least, I am not that interested in the extra .25". Like I said, I am not ready to say it's too long, but if it was watered down a tad, I would still be really happy with it.

When well struck, I love the sound of the Stage 2. It rings, but it also has a nice solid THUNK to it. It's kind of odd. I like the sound of the RBZ better on well struck shots, because it just sounds solid and feels great. But I prefer the Mashie on shots where I miss a little bit. It just seems more consistent. To me, and maybe this is just me, the RBZ seems to ring a little louder when you don't catch it just right. Again, that is probably just me, but it was something I noticed.

Obviously after a month and a half worth of snow, some of which just melted entirely away just yesterday, the ground was slop, so I didn't even attempt to get in any swings from the deck. I was interested in having to clean the slot after every shot. Once things firm up a tad, I will for sure be doing that, because that is where the Mashie butters it's bread for me and I want to see if the Stage 2 can match the Mashie's versatility.

All in all, I came away VERY impressed with the Stage 2 today. It's beastly long, almost to the point it needs to be watered down a tad for me. The shaft issue doesn't appear to be much of an issue to me anymore. I look forward to more work with this club and finding a groove with it.

Some good reviews, guys. Seems like the biggest thing standing out is the distance. More me, it is the combination of distance and forgiveness that makes this club special.

That combination was on display yesterday when I got out for 18. Tees played at 6741 according to the score card and it was a tight layout so I only ended up hitting the driver 3 times. Other than that it was the Stage 2's day to shine.

I was 7/10 in fairways in regulation using the Stage 2 and two of those misses, I was just off the fairway and just off from where I was aiming. I only had one bad swing with the Stage 2 and that was all user error. While the Stage 2 is forgiving it is not a cure all. I was only able to use the Stage 2 off the deck once and on that swing I was trying to hit a low hook shot around some trees from about 250 out and run it up on the green on a par 5. I caught it fat but I was still able to get it the trajectory and line I was hoping for.

Yesterday's round was a further testament to how the Stage 2 works as a backup for my driver. I am not entertaining taking my driver out of the bag because even though the Stage 2 is long, there are times when I need the extra distance my driver gives me. But in situations like yesterday when I am playing a course where accuracy is paramount, the Stage 2 is my go to club off the tee. Yesterday's round was very much target golf and the Stage 2 was both accurate and long. I only measured 4 drives with the Stage 2 but I averaged 253.5 with it--a long of 272 and shortest of 239. That is plenty of length to give me a short iron into most par 4s. I was able to have an iron into 2 par 5s using the Stage 2 off the tee as well.

All in all, it was a great round of testing and I feel like I am really hitting my stride with this club.

Got out for the first time this year today. I played 7 holes and hit the RBZ Stage 2 off the tee 3 times. A bit of background information on me. I'm a low-mid handicapper but I can't hit the ball far at all. My average drive last year was about 200 yards, and my average 3-wood off the tee was about 190. However, I'm packing on the distance and if the Golf Galaxy monitors are right (and they were +/- 5 yards last time I took my own clubs) my average drive now is 220, and will only get higher as the winter offseason rust wears off. (230 with the XHot and that's gonna be a serious ponder) Also, today was 45 degrees out and very wet. I'll be losing a good 15-20 yards on my drives. On the first time I hit it today, I hit it on the bottom of the club face. That would've been about 180 last year on a summer day. On this dreary day, it went a bit over 195 on a thinned mishit slightly pushed. The next time I hit it, I also hit it slightly thin. It carried about 195 and on this wet day, it rolled out about 20 yards. Incredible. "The last time I hit it, I caught it pretty dead-on. It just went right at the hole (pins weren't in the greens yet b/c of the conditions) and on a 47*, soaked day, went 225-240. I've never hit a 3-wood that far, especially with these conditions. It feels very good, and looks superb. I'll be expecting to exceed 250 with this club in the summer. I can't be happier, and now I might need a new driver to keep up.

I'd like each of the testers and whom ever else wants to add their two cents, describe in a sentence the stage2.

I'd like each of the testers and whom ever else wants to add their two cents, describe in a sentence the stage2.

OK here goes.

The Stage 2 is an excellent club with both distance and forgiveness but does require an adjustment period.

The Stage 2 is probably not a club I would have opted for if I were purchasing a new FW, but the length of this with the added forgiveness in this years model, should put it near the top of everyone's list. TM can bag the whole "distance" thing when marketing this. Or at least add pleasantly forgiving while being freakishly long.

Nice Jeff well stated but that was more like a paragraph. Hahaha :)

The Stage 2 3W is the club that delivers confidence, along with distance.
What more could you ask for?

Back