Ping i20 Irons Review - Forum Testing Review Thread

I went by the golf store today and no Ping delivery today... Crud! I'm hoping they come in tomorrow.

Ordered my irons on Monday. I was told to expect them next week around Thursday or Friday. Was in the shop today trying out putters when the cell phone rang. The shop was calling me to tell me my irons were in. I turned around and said "OK I'll pick them up in 30 seconds". Both of us started cracking up. Heading to the range tonight to try them out. :banana:

I hate pigeon-holing clubs to a specific handicap, IMO its all about what fits your eye and instills confidence. While obviously not as forgiving as the G20's would be the i20's def have some forgiveness built into them as well, if they instill confidence, that's what matters most.

I think you'll love them, and welcome to THP!

I agree with this. Confidence is huge. I have a higher hcp and actually considered the g20s and some other more gi clubs before I got the i20s but I couldn't stand the look of them.

I've only gotten to play 1 round with my i20s so far (#2 tomorrow) and really no range time and I love them. I really didn't hit a shot that I was upset about the first time out.

I actually was hitting way them way better than I ever hit my a7s. Actually hit 5 iron for an eagle attempt. I never took my a7 5 out of the bag. I hated that club.

Found out the clubs just shipped, today... Come on! Anxious Annie over here!

Have recently been hitting the Anser irons and they remind me very much of the i20's. The feel is a little different and the looks are different as well. But the look at address is very much the same

Have recently been hitting the Anser irons and they remind me very much of the i20's. The feel is a little different and the looks are different as well. But the look at address is very much the same

Sounds like a good thing. The i20s look great at address imo.

Sounds like a good thing. The i20s look great at address imo.

It's a great thing. The feel is slightly different. It's a heavier feel at impact. Feels like you truly punish the ball

Found out the clubs just shipped, today... Come on! Anxious Annie over here!

Crazy excited for you, I know the wait has been killing ya!

I hate pigeon-holing clubs to a specific handicap, IMO its all about what fits your eye and instills confidence. While obviously not as forgiving as the G20's would be the i20's def have some forgiveness built into them as well, if they instill confidence, that's what matters most.

This, exactly. Clubs are not made for certain bands of handicaps...and in this particular case, these irons have a good amount of forgiveness in them.

Well I just got back from the range. I love these irons. The ball just seemed to jump of the club face. Hit these even longer than the G20's I tried last week. Only one I had any trouble with was the 3 iron but I was hitting it well after about 7 or 8 balls. I can't wait to play my first round with them.

Well I just got back from the range. I love these irons. The ball just seemed to jump of the club face. Hit these even longer than the G20's I tried last week. Only one I had any trouble with was the 3 iron but I was hitting it well after about 7 or 8 balls. I can't wait to play my first round with them.

glad to hear it. they really are great clubs

Got out for some rounds here yesterday and today. I'm starting to get my old iron distances again, and then some. Favorite club for the last two days is definitely the PW. I hit my J40 50˚ once in two days. Every other time I got into that wheelhouse range, I choked up on my PW and just put an easy swing on it. Results were great! Also used it a lot for chipping. Still dialing in the distance, but the results are already better than with my 56. I feel bad for my old 50. Just sitting there in the bag filling a space that will soon be filled by my i20 UW. :alien:

Got the call today, my U wedge is in. May be the weekend before I get to try it out but I'm anxious to try it out.

Got the call today, my U wedge is in. May be the weekend before I get to try it out but I'm anxious to try it out.

Awesome.

I think you and Jon will be pleasantly surprised with the UW. I'm a bit bitter at myself for lumping the UW in with the SW and LW for a while and pulling it from the bag, I think alot of that had to do with having a 49* SCOR ready. The UW is just lethal and fun for me, especially with the grind I have on it.

Awesome.

I think you and Jon will be pleasantly surprised with the UW. I'm a bit bitter at myself for lumping the UW in with the SW and LW for a while and pulling it from the bag, I think alot of that had to do with having a 49* SCOR ready. The UW is just lethal and fun for me, especially with the grind I have on it.

I was actually thinking about a grind when I made the order but decided to see how it works as is. I figure I won't need to get too fancy with it for the most part and can defer to a non-set wedge in those instances. If I were to go set SW/LW, which is still technically on the table but unlikely, I'd definitely get them ground at least for some heel relief.

I was actually thinking about a grind when I made the order but decided to see how it works as is. I figure I won't need to get too fancy with it for the most part and can defer to a non-set wedge in those instances. If I were to go set SW/LW, which is still technically on the table but unlikely, I'd definitely get them ground at least for some heel relief.

If you decide to go SW/LW at any point, holler at me first and I can take care of ya. Trust me on that. :alien:

I got the radius grind on my UW, simple one and good for my steep angle since it just rounds the leading edge a bit to help with digging.

If you decide to go SW/LW at any point, holler at me first and I can take care of ya. Trust me on that. :alien:

I got the radius grind on my UW, simple one and good for my steep angle since it just rounds the leading edge a bit to help with digging.

I will definitely let you know! I just went back and re-read your wedge selection post. Basically what I was planning on, since I probably got the idea from there. How did they get along with the Spinners out of curiosity?

I will definitely let you know! I just went back and re-read your wedge selection post. Basically what I was planning on, since I probably got the idea from there. How did they get along with the Spinners out of curiosity?

Nicely, little lower flight on fulls which I always see form the Spinners but on partial shots its really where that one shines. I do wish I would have gone C-Taper in the UW though since its more of a full swing club for me.

Nicely, little lower flight on fulls which I always see form the Spinners but on partial shots its really where that one shines. I do wish I would have gone C-Taper in the UW though since its more of a full swing club for me.

Nice. Yeah, I went with the stock CFS stiff since it's more full swings and bump & runs for the UW. We'll see how it goes. I have some short game lessons coming up. Won't likely make a decision until they're completed.

Agreed here about the handicaps. The stigma of the word "players iron" drives me nuts. I understand that some clubs just don't fit some swings, but if you can't play the i20's based solely off of "not enough forgiveness" then you really should be getting off of the course and spending that money you put on rounds on some serious lessons. I feel like you'd have to be pretty bad to not be able to swing these due to level of forgiveness. (I'm sorry if I've offended anyone with my personal assessment)

Well I did pick up my U wedge today but didn't get home in time to go to the course. I did take some swings in the back yard, and I think I'm going to like this thing. It feels great. I'm hoping it will become my go to club around the greens.

I recently purchased Ping i20's, 4 thru PW. I have only hit them on the range, they really seem to fly right off the face of the club. One item of concern for me is that I tend to hit them very high, which cause a loss of distance. My shaft is the Z-Z65 stiff.
I also changed all the grips, the original grips were way to hard for my like. If I can get the height thing figured out, I'm gonna love these irons.

Got the call today finally! My UW is in!! :banana: Of course it came the day after I stopped by to hit a bucket on the range but whatever! Picking it up tomorrow since I need some more practice anyways.

I recently purchased Ping i20's, 4 thru PW. I have only hit them on the range, they really seem to fly right off the face of the club. One item of concern for me is that I tend to hit them very high, which cause a loss of distance. My shaft is the Z-Z65 stiff.
I also changed all the grips, the original grips were way to hard for my like. If I can get the height thing figured out, I'm gonna love these irons.

Congrats man! These do hit a nice high ball but I think you'll be pleased with the distance. Let us know how they work out for you! I agree on the grips. I tried to like them but I've never been a fan of index grips.

Add another one into the fray.

i20's STILL rocking it!

Congrats man! These do hit a nice high ball but I think you'll be pleased with the distance. Let us know how they work out for you! I agree on the grips. I tried to like them but I've never been a fan of index grips.

I agree. I do hit a higher ball with them but my distance has increased with them. Go figure.The more I hit these the more I love them.

Back