Nike VRS Covert Driver Preview

I hit this one again today and cant explain why but I seem to like the feel of this driver. I was hitting this thing great about 40% of the time and just ok about 40% with 20% completely awful. Even with the awful shots I was getting 210 and with the great shots I was getting over 240 total. Longest was 246. Compared it with the G25 today and the Covert won. Spin rates were pretty low and ranged from 1500 to 2900. Right now my top 3 drivers are the Covert, TEE XCG6 and G25. I want the first two badly. TEE is having a fitting day the middle of April so I guess I'm going to check it out there.

I have never been a big Nike fan but this driver is calling me for some reason. Have now gotten used to the red at least indoors. Not sure if its glaring outside on a sunny day. Well the testing continues. This is the only spot left to upgrade the 2013 bag.

Had a chance to hit my Covert Performance with Silver Kuro Kage yesterday. Think we have a winner! Shaft felt great, the club is easy to get dialed in to your settings, very forgiving on slight mishits. Club just wants to go straight for me, but it's still easy to work. Feel/sound was solid as well. Still want to have a head to head session with my G25, but so far I'm leaning towards the Covert. The Ping is extremely forgiving, the thing that I can't get over is the sheer size of the head, it's friggin massive.

I only got to hit about a dozen balls with it at the range on Saturday, but it was an interesting result. I was stuck on a range mat that had a tee too low for proper shots, but of course I hit off it anyway. Despite hitting it very low on the face (closer to the very bottom than the middle of the face), everything was going dead straight. Normally when I hit it that low on the face I'll get a low hook. On these shots, it was very low ball flight, but was going very consistently straight. Was carrying likely 20-30 yards shorter than normal, but on a hard-fairwayed course or in the wind, it would likely roll out much farther than a normal shot. I'll have to keep that in mind that it was still going straight.

Got out for the first time on a golf course with this and it was funny but I was worried I'd swing crappy and put a sky mark in the beautiful finish. I think this led to me catching a number of balls on the low part of the drivers as I was hitting some little burners/cold tops. The few times I hit it well I could see the benefits of the lower spin rate which I need as the ball was not ballooning and even in fairly damp fairways I was getting 10+ yards of roll. I went to the range today and said screw it and just started swinging and not worrying about marking the club and was just creaming the ball with a really nice trajectory that will work in wind or with dry fairways of summer. Even though the range is pretty soggy I was still getting roll out of the ball when it landed. Really happy.

One weird thing I have noticed with this driver is this, I have it set at 10.5 degrees but it hits it like its set at 8.5 degrees.

all my drives are much lower trajectory even when I tee it up pretty high....thinking of going to 11.5 degrees....anyone else notice this???

One weird thing I have noticed with this driver is this, I have it set at 10.5 degrees but it hits it like its set at 8.5 degrees.

all my drives are much lower trajectory even when I tee it up pretty high....thinking of going to 11.5 degrees....anyone else notice this???

I believe that's been pretty standard with this club. I think Rory went from 8.5 to 11.5. Blu added some loft if you go thru this thread you can find exactly how much. It makes sense, at least to me, with half the club missing and weight moved forward it should make for a lower ball flight.

I believe that's been pretty standard with this club. I think Rory went from 8.5 to 11.5. Blu added some loft if you go thru this thread you can find exactly how much. It makes sense, at least to me, with half the club missing and weight moved forward it should make for a lower ball flight.

Thx, good to know...I obviously haven't read through most of this thread.

So, on average, what are most people going up in degrees with this driver?....should I just go 2 degrees higher?...3??

Thx, good to know...I obviously haven't read through most of this thread.

So, on average, what are most people going up in degrees with this driver?....should I just go 2 degrees higher?...3??

I have mine set at 12.5* currently and could use more launch.

I am still playing mine at 10.5 (which is normal for me) since if I go up to 11.5 then that's gonna increase my spin and put me back where I was. I fight spin. The guys who are going up (like Rory) are good enough that their spin numbers are way down so the added loft actually helps them. Experiment I say.

Absolutely. I hit my Covert at 11.5 about the same height as my old Superfast 9.5. Maybe even a bit lower. I will try at 12.5 and all the rest once on course and I can properly measure carry and total.

Maybe I'm just being overly attentive to things but one thing I noticed with the tee boxes being furry here in Iowa since courses are just opening is that the club was snagging a bit on the takeaway. To avoid this I just teed it a bit higher and started to hover the club ever so slightly. Could just be mental or a short term fix but it seemed to help me.

I think a lot of it depends on swing speed/path for height on this driver. Most people are setting it really high to get normal flight, I have ended up with mine at 8.5 because I hit it so high. Great driver, feel, sound, etc but I can hit this thing to the moon if I get it too far up in my stance, I leave it barely fwd of center to get the most distance and preferred ball flight.

I may take a drive to GG or Golf Smith tomorrow and see if I can get fit for a lower launching shaft.

Mine is at 11.5* (tour) which is 2-3*more than what I playing with my D3. Launch is the same, spin is reduced and my ball speed and distance is up. All that = massive distance gains. I'm in love with this thing.

I think that clubs like this, the amp cell, and r1 will show amateurs that driver loft is ok. There is no reason to fear loft. To tinker and see what a higher loft can do, is now easier. I think amateurs can only get better because of these flex loft technologies.

Tried mine at 11.5 today and was very pleased with the results.

Covert Tour w/ Matrix 6x3 White Tie. I'm pretty in love.

2ehypujy.jpg

That looks wicked man, have you hit it with that shaft yet?

Oh my, White Tie goodness.

That looks wicked man, have you hit it with that shaft yet?

Yup. 26 swings on a simulator. I was pretty geeked up and thinned most of them fwiw

uguzysym.jpg

Yup. 26 swings on a simulator. I was pretty geeked up and thinned most of them fwiw
Holy roll! I carry mine a bit further than you do but I've never seen those roll numbers!

Holy roll! I carry mine a bit further than you do but I've never seen those roll numbers!

Simulator man. And when I say I thinned them. 8* of launch with a White Tie and the loft at 11.5* screams user error.

Simulator man. And when I say I thinned them. 8* of launch with a White Tie and the loft at 11.5* screams user error.
Yeah I noticed that was a tad low. But your back spin rates look perfect! Not missing the center by much either.

Yeah I noticed that was a tad low. But your back spin rates look perfect! Not missing the center by much either.

I play the Tour. So that means I'm a good golfer :bulgy-eyes:

Back