Callaway HEX Chrome+ Golf Ball Review Thread

I used a sleeve today during my round & liked it. It felt good off the tee, approach shots & on the green.
My only concern is the amount of side spin I'm getting. The E6 seems to be a straighter ball or it could be the cross wind we had today. I was getting a nice flight path but all of a sudden it would take a turn on me. It's probably my swing but it would take some getting used to as far as my aiming point goes. I also wasn't getting the roll out on chips & half swings I was used to with the E6 which left me short on quite a few holes but that's not the ball's fault.
Overall, I would definitely game this ball more & give it another run down when the wind isn't howling.

I played one these on Friday for most of the day. I really like this ball. The feel and the results have been impressive. In the two rounds that I have had these in play, I have chipped in for an eagle and a birdie. I have only done that one other time before. That really is telling for me. I feel that I can control this ball better than any ball previously.
The Chrome + has the distance and feel that that inspires confidence. I have been seeing good results with the driver on the control side. I had the driver out for 3 shots Friday, and 2 were draws about 280yds in the center. The other was a rather crummy drive that was high and right. It did not affect the play of the hole, as it was a part 5 around a lake. I had intended to take a direct path around the lake, but instead had to go over. After the drive I was left with about 210yds clear the lake. I still end up with a birdie on the hole.
I can not comment on how they rolled in the greens this weekend, as the greens had just been punched and were an puttable. The ball felt very good coming off the face, but with the surface of the green, the putts had no chance. I only gave them a chance. Nothing more than 2 putts.
I believe that this is the best performing ball out there for me at this time. I will definitely load up on these when they are released. I have been using them sparingly until the full release date, but I will have at least one in play every round until they are all gone from my bag.
Thanks again to Callaway for giving us the opportunity to test these.
They have been quite a nice surprise.

I agree AC. I played the same ball that I played in Dallas and it still is not scuffed up bad at all. This ball just performs for me and is my new weapon of choice.

I agree AC. I played the same ball that I played in Dallas and it still is not scuffed up bad at all. This ball just performs for me and is my new weapon of choice.

I think there will be a few from that weekend that will be playing these this season. What a nice ball.

I think there will be a few from that weekend that will be playing these this season. What a nice ball.

I feel like if I replaced my ball shredder aka my Nike pre groove rule wedge, that these balls really would last a long time. Are they standing their ground versus the ball shredder? Very well but it is an unfair fight for any ball. Man I love these around the greens.

They are pretty tough. I seemed to bounce one off of few trees yesterday no worse for the wear.

I've been able to game these for two rounds now and I'm really impressed with what I've seen. Having spent all last summer and fall playing the HBT and this winter playing the Chrome, I was excited to see where the new + would fall into the mix.

I really like the cover of this ball, it has a premium feel to it. Not quite the feel of the HBT in my opinion, but certainly softer than the Chrome I've been playing most recently. Also to that, it doesn't mark up nearly as bad as the HBT. I've played two balls through the two rounds and this cover is very durable. The only markings I've seen were from a couple crisp, full wedge shots, but I also just replaced wedges three rounds ago and the grooves are still brand new.

Off the tee is a little harder to judge. It does seem to be longer than the Chrome (which was longer than the HBT) though soaked and windy conditions prevent me from saying that with certainty. What I can say is how this ball just seems to cut through and ignore the wind. I don't think I've played a premium ball (yes, foreshadowing) this good in the wind since the TM TP red.

In addition to the windy play, this ball really shines around the green and on approaches. To me, this ball plays nearly identical to the HBT in this area. After gaming the Chrome through the winter months, I've been forced to be more aggressive with chips and pitches again. Excellent stopping power around the greens for the Chrome+. The first few I played hopped and stopped with little roll out and I had to make that adjustment. For me, the Chrome+ just exudes confidence around the green because I know if I make a good stroke, it is going to do exactly what I expect.

I can't say with certainty that Callaway has accomplished their goal of the longest premium ball in the game with this one just yet. I'll need some non-puddled fairways to judge that claim. What I can say with certainty, is they get no complaints from me calling this a premium ball. It certainly justifies that and plays like one. Add in the $36 price point and I think they definitely have a winner in the Chrome+.

I'm excited to try these based on the feedback. Many other THPers thought the same of the Chrome's last year, they were a good ball but they seemed to spin quite a bit off the tee. Sounds like these are a big improvement over the previous Chrome and I will definitely be buying some to try, I am a HUGE fan of Callaway golf balls!

I played the HEX Black at certain points of last year but found it to be just to clicky off the putter for my liking. I am really looking forward to trying the HEX Chrome+ this year as it sounds like a great ball. Callaway is definitely heading in the right direction this year, all of the new equipment is great and with this new ball it should be a great year for them.

After reading these reviews I am really looking forward to trying this one out.

I am a big fan of the HBT but like some others have said, the cover seems to get torn up pretty quick. The Chrome+ seems to offer great performance with better durability.

I'm definitely looking forward to trying this one as well. Seems like a great ball for me.

I'm definitely looking forward to trying this one as well. Seems like a great ball for me.

That's the thing about this ball. I think it can be something to so many golfers. It's that versatile to me. It runs that line between premium and 2nd tier. But closer to premium.

This ball has really intrigued me, sadly I have about 5 dozen of the HBT that I still need to use before making any new golfball purchases.

Can't wait to try this one out after these rave reviews.

I am a big fan of the HBT but like some others have said, the cover seems to get torn up pretty quick. The Chrome+ seems to offer great performance with better durability.

I've been impressed with the durability thus far. 16 holes with the first and 20 with the second with only slight wear to show on each. The first ball did not float however.

I think it can be something to so many golfers

I think this sums the + up perfectly.

I just hope my local Dick's screws up and puts these on the shelf this week so I can use em Saturday...

I just hope my local Dick's screws up and puts these on the shelf this week so I can use em Saturday...

I agree with you! I have a ton of the Hex Black Tours, but would love to give these golf balls a go, these reviews are making me want this golf ball!

They are on the shelf at my local Golf Town (St Albert Trail, for any locals). Despite the fact that there is still 2' of snow in my yard, I bought 3 doz lol. The feedback in here sounds like it's a perfect ball for me.

$39.99/doz up here :/ by comparison, Lethal's or 20Xi's are $49.99. Still, I was hoping the C+ would be $5-7 cheaper than it is.
HC1.jpg

HC2.jpg

They are on the shelf at my local Golf Town (St Albert Trail, for any locals). Despite the fact that there is still 2' of snow in my yard, I bought 3 doz lol. The feedback in here sounds like it's a perfect ball for me.

$39.99/doz up here :/ by comparison, Lethal's or 20Xi's are $49.99. Still, I was hoping the C+ would be $5-7 cheaper than it is.
HC1.jpg

HC2.jpg

Nice!!! :banana:

I can't believe I have not tried these yet :confused2: !

The reviews on these are putting me into ponder mode. Sound like a less-spinny-off-the-tee RbzU

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

I keep refreshing my stored "Chrome+" search in my eBay app hoping they will show up soon... still no luck so far.

I had a dozen show up on my doorstep straight from Callaway, hope they keep coming:p

I had a dozen show up on my doorstep straight from Callaway, hope they keep coming:p
You're getting a dozen a month for twelve months! It's not ending ANY time soon!!!!!

Back