Callaway HEX Chrome+ Golf Ball Review Thread

Any word on street date?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Every time I read this thread I get more excited about the release date. Can't wait to pick some up and put the Chrome+ in play.

I've had these in play ever since the Texas outing and I am becoming very used to the reaction off each club. Consistency is key in golf and more so in good golf. The feel, Trajectory and spin have been pretty much the same in each round. Full swings with a normal setup produce a high (for me) ball flight. I can hoist this ball been higher with some spine tilt. It responds well to knock downs and low punches.
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]
Around the greens the spin is more on par with the Black then the chrome, this is a plus. Throwing the ball at the spin with correct spin produces some carpet bunching stoppage. I didn't know if you could improve on the black and chrome, but this might just be the ball.
[/FONT]

I now have about 6 rounds under my belt with the Chrome + ball and I absolutely love them! This really is the perfect marriage between the Hex Black Tour and the Chrome...Low spin off the driver but plenty of green side spin for irons and wedges.

I still had a few sleeves of the Hex Black Tours laying around and I did a side by side comparision last week playing 2 balls on the first 5 holes until the course got busier.

I averaged about 7 yards longer off the tee with the Chrome +, I hit every fairway with it (missed 2 slightly with the Hex Black) and I love the feel off the scoring clubs..nice crisp click and tons of spin when it hits!

I changed back over to Bridgestone balls for Morgan Cup prep this week, but the Chrome + is definately a winner!

This really sounds like great ball. Anyone put it head to head with the Rocketballz Urethane yet?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Callaway put up a great video on youtube talking about the differences between balls and offered up the difference between Chrome and Chrome+.

There may have been some trash talk comments left as well on that video.

I'm really excited to try these. My SS makes me a little more chrome but these seem like they work as well. I really wish more OEMs would make premium balls in yellow or other visible colors. Hate how I keep losing balls that are only maybe a few feet from the fairway because I can't see them.

Last edited:
These will be available in yellow.
http://www.golfgalaxy.com/Callaway-...f-Balls---12-Pack/SS13CLWYHEXCRMPSYLW/Product

641855012_HexChromePlus_Yellow_Stamp

I watched the vid with Harry and the more i see/hear about these balls, the more i wanna hit them

I believe I'm going to play my next 18 this weekend with the same Chrome + sleeve I played with last time.

This is impressive in 2 ways

1: None of the balls were badly scuffed by my pre-groove rule SW
2: I hit these balls straight enough not to loose one, which is a rarity for me and my diver lol.

I've had a couple of rounds with the Chrome+ and I must say that I really like it. Recently I did a head to head test round with the Chrome+ and the Hex Black. Very interesting comparison.

Off the tee and long clubs, performance was virtually identical in all aspects such as distance, spin, etc but the Chrome+ had a much softer feel. Getting the same performance with a softer feel is a big + for me.

Mid iron and approach shots found that the Chrome+ again showed a softer feel off the clubface and exhibited much more backspin into the green. With a gap wedge from 110 I was getting about double the backspin off the Chrome+ compared to the Hex Black. This was a little surprising but it's also easy to control the spin with different shot types.

Chips and greenside shots very pretty much identical. The Chrome+ is a little less 'clicky'.

Durability, for me, is about the same. Perhaps just a touch better on the Chrome+ but after 18 holes, the ball goes in the practice bag anyway.

I really like this ball and it's slightly lower price point only make it that much more attractive. Could easily be my new ball when I run out of the Hex Black. (another dozen or so to go)

I just hope my local Dick's screws up and puts these on the shelf this week so I can use em Saturday...

well this plan didn't work out today. guess my shiny new B330 RX balls will be put into play this weekend!

Great reviews on the chrome + guys! Last year I was bouncing back and forth between the hex black and B330 but could never commit to one due to the areas each were lacking in for me, greenside spin with the B330 and feel and durability for the hex black tour. From the sounds of it this might be the perfect ball for me.

How is this in the wind? Think my local Dicks sports messed up and put these out already, was thinking of going to pick up a dozen.

How is this in the wind? Think my local Dicks sports messed up and put these out already, was thinking of going to pick up a dozen.

Performs just as well as the Hex Black in the wind, which is to say that it's pretty good.

Great! It's between this and the 20XI-X's.

Interesting that you bring up that ball. I've been trying it out for a couple of weeks now. (both the X and S). I personally like the S a little better compared to the X and the Chrome+ was a little more consistent for me compared to both.

As good or better than the TP Red, which for me, is the best wind ball I've ever gamed.

Great! It's between this and the 20XI-X's.

I found the 20xi to be one of the straightest I've ever hit. Wasn't a fan of the loud sound and almost a club shorter than the HBT.

As good or better than the TP Red, which for me, is the best wind ball I've ever gamed.

I found the 20xi to be one of the straightest I've ever hit. Wasn't a fan of the loud sound and almost a club shorter than the HBT.

The 2013 20XI?

Dicks did have them, display and all, picked up a dozen.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back