Callaway X Hot & X Hot Pro Irons Preview

I've got 3 rounds in with these, and OH MY GOD, these feel like butter. I thought my Razr X Tours last year were butter, but compared to these, there's no comparing them. They have a great sound, I put great spin on them, and the ball flight is just great. Penetrating and high. I have had a couple shots that were more of a balloon type shot shape than a penetrating climb, but those were user error. The only issue I've found, is that my gap between my 9i and PW is very large, for the most part, I'm 10-15 yards between each club, but from the 9i to PW is closer to 20-25. Don't know if this is just because the lofts were increased on all the clubs from last year, except for the PW? In any case, I'm loving these, and couldn't be happier with the purchase.

Dan

I've got 3 rounds in with these, and OH MY GOD, these feel like butter. I thought my Razr X Tours last year were butter, but compared to these, there's no comparing them. They have a great sound, I put great spin on them, and the ball flight is just great. Penetrating and high. I have had a couple shots that were more of a balloon type shot shape than a penetrating climb, but those were user error. The only issue I've found, is that my gap between my 9i and PW is very large, for the most part, I'm 10-15 yards between each club, but from the 9i to PW is closer to 20-25. Don't know if this is just because the lofts were increased on all the clubs from last year, except for the PW? In any case, I'm loving these, and couldn't be happier with the purchase.

Dan

Sounds like some happy campers in here to me! :golf2: Any more old dudes try these out yet? At the get together we had at my home course recently they were a pretty hawt item to try. My brother (VMan) from another Mother, was drooling over these things like a fox in a chicken pen :hungry:

I got another 18 in today with mine, the more time I spend with them the more I love them. Best ball striking day I've had in forever and probably would have been a PB had I not just lost my putter completely. I typically finish 18 with 33-34 putts. Today I finished 4 strokes off my PB with an abysmal 41 putts, I can't remember the last time I putted that bad, EVER. The irons though are nothing short of spectacular now that I'm starting to get used to them, even the long irons which are usually my my weakness. I was playing RX's today and backed up 3 different shots with them from 120 in and my longer approach shots that hit the green (165 was my longest green hit) stopped within 3 feet of the ball mark. The driver was working well for me distance wise but was constantly left today so I hit out of the rough on 9 holes out of the 12 I used the driver on giving me a chance to hit these (and the hybrids) off of both deep rough lies as well as one place where I had to take a 6i off of a bare spot which still came out fast and high.

I am now convinced I made a great decision with these.

I got another 18 in today with mine, the more time I spend with them the more I love them. Best ball striking day I've had in forever and probably would have been a PB had I not just lost my putter completely. I typically finish 18 with 33-34 putts. Today I finished 4 strokes off my PB with an abysmal 41 putts, I can't remember the last time I putted that bad, EVER. The irons though are nothing short of spectacular now that I'm starting to get used to them, even the long irons which are usually my my weakness. I was playing RX's today and backed up 3 different shots with them from 120 in and my longer approach shots that hit the green (165 was my longest green hit) stopped within 3 feet of the ball mark. The driver was working well for me distance wise but was constantly left today so I hit out of the rough on 9 holes out of the 12 I used the driver on giving me a chance to hit these (and the hybrids) off of both deep rough lies as well as one place where I had to take a 6i off of a bare spot which still came out fast and high.

I am now convinced I made a great decision with these.

sorry about the rough day putting but it sure does sound like these irons are really performing well for you.

Yes sir, the putting was just a kick in the pants. It's the one thing I never "lose". I work 14 on 14 off so I go two weeks without seeing a golf ball and then I'm all over it for two weeks. My first round back this time was only 9 because I had things to do across town that afternoon and I finished out 9 with 14 putts never having looked at the practice green.

Every time I've shot 87-88 it's been 100% short game because I'm not a consistent ball striker. The fact that I had the greatest ball striking day of my life and let my short game disappear with just discouraging. I'll get over it, the more used to these irons I get (and the sooner I can keep the driver closer to the fairway and out of the left rough) the sooner I'll get that 85. I'm able to swing easier and still match my old normal distances with my AP1's. They were great irons but I had to grip and rip to get ball height, these shafts in the Xhots combined with the lofts let me swing easier, smoother, match the distances but get the ball high enough to stop on a dime plus I'm positive they spin more which is both keeping me straighter and helping with my trajectory.

I can't say enough about them, first Callaway irons I've played since the X-18's and definitely my favorite of the long and distinguished list of irons I've had.

I got 18 in yesterday for the first time without having to bundle up and worry about frostbite. Also had worked out a couple swing flaws. I really, really like the 6-PW...my 5 iron and I are not on good terms though. I was afraid of that when I bought them because I couldn't really hit my X Tour 5 iron either. Luckily I kept my Burner 2.0 5 iron so she is the homewrecker of my set. Anyway, these irons are quite forgiving for me and they feel like butter, they really cut through the turf. The course was still quite wet from rain earlier in the week but I didn't find myself hitting any fat shots either...maybe just 1 or 2 out of really wet lies, but even then I got decent distance.

A couple guys in my group told me they sounded very nice as well, but I don't pay much attention to the sound unless it is noticeably loud or clicky. Since I didn't notice it, then I guess I have to agree that they sound fine. I am still seeing an increase in distance and I hope to see a little more as it warms up (it was between 40 and 70 during my round yesterday, love East TN weather). I hit an 8 iron 8 inches from the cup from 149 yards and I can tell you know that would have been a 7 iron in my old set. 6 irons were covering 170 easily and I know that isn't much for some of you but that is a nice change for me.

Something else I often take for granted, but I think is worth mentioning, is that even though I have the same S300 shafts...the weight of the clubs seems a little lighter and my defective back and hip really enjoy that. The Saturday evening soreness was much less than it used to be.

Overall I am quite happy with these X Hot Pros. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone. One of they guys in my group (who is much better than me) hit them a couple times and his first impressions were good as well...and he has hit many different types/brands in his "career."

So if you are on the fence, go hit some of these and if you like them then I would suggest you go get a custom fitting and get some of these ordered. Maybe you will get lucky and be fitted for an off the shelf set so you don't have to wait 2 weeks like I did...worst 2 weeks ever!

I've continued to play well with my X Hot Pros and am really enjoying them. I was just down in the garage cleaning them off after my round this morning and thought I'd snap a shot of my setup. The XH Pros just look sexy.

attachment.php

Attachments

• set.jpg
    set.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 1
Off topic, but SWEET driver headcover. Where did you get that?

I am still hopeful about getting these. Rbladez are on the bay with 2 days left and got a few watchers. If I can get most of the $$ for them then these are mine

Off topic, but SWEET driver headcover. Where did you get that?

Thanks. During the US Open at Olympic Club last year the Giants had a golf night sponsored by Taylormade - and gave out these special edition head covers. It also turns out it was the night of Matt Cain's perfect game.

Here's a video of DJ hitting bombs into the Bay before the game. I can't believe they didn't tell the kayakers to get out of there...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfoYjHr-B6c

Had my first outdoor range session with the XHP. First thought. Fun irons to hit. Did Callaway mix deer antler or andro in the metal. I'm getting 1-1.5 club more distance :eek:

Will share more after I put the kiddos to sleep.

***Tappin in cuz I #SeeMore***

Had my first outdoor range session with the XHP. First thought. Fun irons to hit. Did Callaway mix deer antler or andro in the metal. I'm getting 1-1.5 club more distance :eek:

The XHPs are about 2 degrees stronger than my old clubs, and thus longer as well. I'm guessing this is why you're getting the extra distance....

Yep, they are just barely weaker than the regular x hots. I was hitting the XHP's right around 150 (8i) which is long for me. My normal 8 is 135-140. Getting comfortable with mine and nailed a 6i 179 off the tee over shot my green and then hit a 7i off the deck two holes later 170 on the purest strike I've ever made since I picked up a club.

Nice as it was I was mad, one because I overshot the green and two because it showed me how off my normal 160ish shot are from perfect timing.

Finally got a chance to hit a XHot Pro 6 iron in the bay at Dick's this afternoon. They had the launch monitor on, so that was nice. The best part was the shaft they had was what I was looking to hit. Not many demo irons carry the Rifle 6.0 S flex in them. So when I was seeing a carry of 186 and roll of 202...needless to say I was impressed. I have heard that these irons are bent a little strong from the factory, and those numbers would leave to to think they are. With that being said, of the dozen or more shots I hit with it, each were within about 5 yards (more or less). I'm sold, now I just need to say up my pennies and get some in my bag.

James

Sent from my Samsug Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

I'm sad to say however I will have to let mine go, due to some wrist issues. Apparently the 5.5 is a tad stronger than regular flex and I have been hurting lately. I'm finally going with graphite shafts. The set I'm selling is located in the market place here on THP. They truly are awesome irons and someone is going to catch a pretty sweet deal. Any questions send me a PM.

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...ay-x-hot-pro-irons-5-aw&p=2119697#post2119697

I'm sad to say however I will have to let mine go, due to some wrist issues. Apparently the 5.5 is a tad stronger than regular flex and I have been hurting lately. I'm finally going with graphite shafts. The set I'm selling is located in the market place here on THP. They truly are awesome irons and someone is going to catch a pretty sweet deal. Any questions send me a PM.

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...ay-x-hot-pro-irons-5-aw&p=2119697#post2119697

Good luck with that. I know your pain. I'm only 29 and my leading left wrist has been aching the past 2 seasons. 1 Dr and 2 physical therapists later, no diagnosis or solution. Waiting for the right shaft/moment to make the leap myself.

Good luck with that. I know your pain. I'm only 29 and my leading left wrist has been aching the past 2 seasons. 1 Dr and 2 physical therapists later, no diagnosis or solution. Waiting for the right shaft/moment to make the leap myself.

I thought maybe it would go away however this has been going on for a couple weeks and I have to wear a wrist brace while playing :at-wits-end:. These X Hot irons are really sweet but maybe they're just a bit too much iron/heavy for me :beat-up::confused2:. I didn't have any wrist issues with the last irons I played so maybe the shafts were lighter or something. Maybe it's that I'm just not good enough to handle these players irons and I'm trying to force the swing more, thus applying too much pressure to the left wrist. All I know, is I have to find some sissy graphite clubs, that are easier on the joints.

I came across this site in an effort to learn more about the XHP irons and was obviously impressed enough to join. I've been playing TM 300's the past 12 years and started my research for new irons a couple of months ago.
I got to the no turning back point after hitting the latest offerings from Mizuno, Titleist, Adams, TM and Callaway. I was ready to go with the Callaway X forged until I hit the XHP's at a Callaway demo day. The first thing I noticed with
the XHP's was the higher ball flight and increased distance. With the 300's, when I squared the face it was glorious, but mishits were costly and unforgiving. The XHP's were noticeably lighter and much more forgiving. I was able to take a full backswing and compress the ball better. My XHP's (Rifle 6.0 S Flex 1" long, 1 degree up right) are scheduled to deliver tomorrow and I can't wait. I'll share the results after I log a couple of rounds. I'm looking forward to
a lighter bag and a more direct walk to the green!

I thought maybe it would go away however this has been going on for a couple weeks and I have to wear a wrist brace while playing :at-wits-end:. These X Hot irons are really sweet but maybe they're just a bit too much iron/heavy for me :beat-up::confused2:. I didn't have any wrist issues with the last irons I played so maybe the shafts were lighter or something. Maybe it's that I'm just not good enough to handle these players irons and I'm trying to force the swing more, thus applying too much pressure to the left wrist. All I know, is I have to find some sissy graphite clubs, that are easier on the joints.

I hate to hear that OG, I wonder if you would have had better luck with the TT shafts you originally ordered.

Have you dabbled with the DG Sensicores? Another shaft I've always been scouring fitting carts for or used racks so I can give them a swing.

Nope I have not tried any other steel shafts . Definitely going with graphite.

Typing away using Tapatalk!

I hate to hear that OG, I wonder if you would have had better luck with the TT shafts you originally ordered.

Wake -- I have thought about that and it probably would have been a better setup for me.

I hope that wrist gets better OG! Hate to see anyone in pain

Thanks TH! I'm kind of getting use to it again with two joints hurting now :D. I should have listen to my body and went with graphite to begin with. The good thing is, Callaway pre-owned is working a great deal for me! I can pick up a set that will be easy on the joints. I'm staying with Cally's, just going with a different setup :thumb:

Wake -- I have thought about that and it probably would have been a better setup for me.

Thanks TH! I'm kind of getting use to it again with two joints hurting now :D. I should have listen to my body and went with graphite to begin with. The good thing is, Callaway pre-owned is working a great deal for me! I can pick up a set that will be easy on the joints. I'm staying with Cally's, just going with a different setup :thumb:

Damn! I was logged on as KellyBo again :banghead:

Damn! I was logged on as KellyBo again :banghead:

Now we know where the all those nice things Kelly says about you comes from, it was you the whole time.

Back