Status
Not open for further replies.
ehh it happens, human error

Umpire Marty Foster issued the following statement after the game: “I saw the pitch and of course don’t have the chance to do it again. But had I had a chance to do it again, I wouldn’t call that pitch a strike.” (via The Big Lead)
I actually watched the entire game and the strike zone was called terribly the entire game, going against both sides. I was not surprised when he called this a 3rd strike. He was terrible. I know it's easy to pick on the umpire on ball/strikes but this game was called worst than normal. Too bad Nathan's 300th save was overshadowed by this call. Only 24 players ever to get to 300.

Yeah it came down to Prado for one more year or BJ, Justin, Heyward for 3 years. Made sense then, definitely looks good now. I do miss Prado, though.
BJ and Heyward w/ a combined batting average of .101 is awesome!

And we're still 5-1. Just wait til they heat up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I actually watched the entire game and the strike zone was called terribly the entire game, going against both sides. I was not surprised when he called this a 3rd strike. He was terrible. I know it's easy to pick on the umpire on ball/strikes but this game was called worst than normal. Too bad Nathan's 300th save was overshadowed by this call. Only 24 players ever to get to 300.

Wait, you just said it CLEARLY crossed the plate? Haha. It's all good. No rooting interest at all, just know how pissed I would've been if my team's game ended on a call like that.

Much like JUp will not hit six HRs every seven games, JBUp and Heyward will not continue to hit like that.

Wait, you just said it CLEARLY crossed the plate? Haha. It's all good. No rooting interest at all, just know how pissed I would've been if my team's game ended on a call like that.
I was "clearly" joking!!! Ha! I'm not that blind. Bad call, but it was par for the ump that night.

Whatever happened to Dontrelle Willis?

It was as bad as many thought.

numlocation_io.php-pitchSel=150274&game=gid_2013_04_08_tbamlb_texmlb_1&batterX=73&innings=nnnnnnnny&sp_type=1&s_type=3.gif

Not really.. people were saying it was so bad because the catcher caught it with his glove on the ground.. If you look it was high enough to be a strike.. It was just outside. There have been many worse calls in baseball.. Tell me why is pitch #1 Not bad? it is the same distance outside almost exactly.. Yet no one commented about that. Both were high enough to be strikes. Its the fact that the bottom dropped out of it and people see where it hit the ground not where it crossed the plate.

Not really.. people were saying it was so bad because the catcher caught it with his glove on the ground.. If you look it was high enough to be a strike.. It was just outside. There have been many worse calls in baseball.. Tell me why is pitch #1 Not bad? it is the same distance outside almost exactly.. Yet no one commented about that. Both were high enough to be strikes. Its the fact that the bottom dropped out of it and people see where it hit the ground not where it crossed the plate.

NOT-A-STRIKE1.gif

numlocation_io.php-pitchSel=453172&game=gid_2013_04_01_chnmlb_pitmlb_1&batterX=55&innings=nnnnnnnyn&sp_type=1&s_type=3.gif

Almost an identical location, with the same call, but it looks totally different. The way the catcher catches the ball affects the call, whether it should or not. The one last night is way worse than this. My biggest issue with this call was when it was made. Full count, game on the line, you must expect more from the umpires. It's not little league.

And we're still 5-1. Just wait til they heat up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
'
6-1.

Much like JUp will not hit six HRs every seven games, JBUp and Heyward will not continue to hit like that.
I know dude. But, I full expect Jup to hit 140+ HRs this year.

I'm glad I took Justin. Couldn't not take him after watching him in spring training. Plus being a braves fan doesn't hurt right?

Almost an identical location, with the same call, but it looks totally different. The way the catcher catches the ball affects the call, whether it should or not. The one last night is way worse than this. My biggest issue with this call was when it was made. Full count, game on the line, you must expect more from the umpires. It's not little league.

It shouldnt affect the call.. The bottom line is the call isnt as bad as many are making it out to be. Umpires are taught to call a pitch based on where it crosses the plate and when a ball has a ton of downward movement sometimes pitches that are caught in the dirt cross as strikes. It was high enough to be a strike, and most seem to be complaining about how low it was caught, and where it was caught doesnt matter

It shouldnt affect the call.. The bottom line is the call isnt as bad as many are making it out to be. Umpires are taught to call a pitch based on where it crosses the plate and when a ball has a ton of downward movement sometimes pitches that are caught in the dirt cross as strikes. It was high enough to be a strike, and most seem to be complaining about how low it was caught, and where it was caught doesnt matter

I agree that it shouldn't matter how it's caught, but it happens. And agreeing to disagree on the 'badness' of the call. Haha.

I haven't seen much Royals banter on here. So let me start by saying GO ROYALS! Oh and I'm a Braves fan too. It's ok to have an American League team and National League team to root for right? Born and raised in NE Kansas you nearly have to be a Royals fan (sadly) but I adopted the Braves because of good ole TBS!

Ugh. Jared Weaver out 4-6 weeks with a fractured left elbow. Thankfully its not his pitching arm but that rotation does not need to be without Weave for any amount of time.

I haven't seen much Royals banter on here. So let me start by saying GO ROYALS! Oh and I'm a Braves fan too. It's ok to have an American League team and National League team to root for right? Born and raised in NE Kansas you nearly have to be a Royals fan (sadly) but I adopted the Braves because of good ole TBS!

I look at the Royals like the "baby" Braves ever since Dayton Moore became the GM. It seems like a player leaves the Braves and ends up making his way to KC.

I also really like Kauffman Stadium, a lot. I went there a few times several years ago when my brother was in school there, and the place is great for a baseball game. Two of my fondest baseball memories come from that stadium:

2000 -- game between the Royals and the Devilrays. On paper, it should have been a horrid game, but it was one of the best games that I have ever watched in person. Tons of diving catches, two different catches that robbed batters of HRs, and Wade freaking Boggs came in to pinch hit for TB in the 9th.

2001 -- game against the Mariners (who were good again). Brett Boone was having a roided-up MVP season, and I heckled him the entire game. (He was an absolute bust in Atlanta.) Not many fans were at the game, and he could hear me heckling him. At one point, I thought he was going to throw his back out trying to hit a HR to shut me up. He ended up going 1-4 with a seeing-eye single late in the game. After the hit, he stood on 1B and stared at me (my seat was on the 1B side). I'd like to think that Brett Boone finds the KC fans some of the toughest in baseball.

Oh, and KC has Bryant's, so it beats pretty much every other MLB city by default.

Seriosuly? It failed once, they are crazy to think it would be different this time around

I kind of thought the same thing. I hated watching the Expos spiral out of control like they did. Man, they had some great teams in the early 90's. Delino DeShields, Marquis Grissom, Larry Walker, Moises Alou, Pedro Martinez. Like the guy said, that work stoppage in 1994 wrecked that franchise and it never recovered.

Send the Marlins up to Montreal - their crowd tonight looks to be the the hundreds!

u4a2e4am.jpg

Marlins Park right before first pitch.

The Rays will be fine onve they figure out a new location in or closer to Tampa. Their current location could not be worse.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back