Is anyone here going to the 2013 Mesquite Amateur??

geneticistx

Reaction score
Handicap
RCGA-9.8
There is a handicap tourney in Mesquite at the end of May, just north of Vegas. I'm heading down the week before to play some of the courses there, then meeting some friends in Vegas for the weekend, then back up for the tourney.

Anyone here going to that event?

M

I'll be heading to Mesquite for the Am. Will be my 2nd year in a row. Had a blast last year. Went solo last time, this time bringing a good friend. We'll be arriving in Mesquite on Sat. May 25th. Will play practice rounds on Sunday and Monday. Thinking Coyote Springs on Sunday and Wolf Creek on Monday.

Have you played in the Am before?

I haven't played it before. It would be great to join you for the Monday round i will be solo. I'd love to play one of the tourney courses or wolf creek.

I'm canadian and looking forward to the warmer weather!!

The tourney was fun last year. Right at 600 golfers in five divisions, then flighted.
I haven't booked any tee times yet, waiting on the tentative course rotation to be announced. You're more than welcome to join us on Monday. I'll get with you by PM before hand.

Which division are you playing in? My friend and I will be in Men's Under 49.

You can read about my experience at the Mesquite Amateur last year on my blog. www.seekingasingledigit.blogspot.com

read your blog about the Mesquite Amateur... I can hardly wait to go. Still awaiting for the courses up here to open this year. In about 10 days everything will be open.
Trying to sneak in some lessons prior to departing. I'm like you, my goal is a single digit cap by mid summer this year. New sticks this year, and lots of theory in my head, now just need a place to practice it all.

Im 44 years old, with a 13 index (RCGA - Canadian equivalent of USGA)

Last edited:
Depending on how the flights work out you'll likely be in mine or my buds. He is playing off 17 and I'm at 11 right now. We are staying at the Casablanca which is where the evening dinners are. You staying there? The tourney takes photos and video during the rounds each day and play them as a montage during dinner. I had a nice 3 putt last year when they had video rolling! The pressure of being on camera!

A tentative course rotation should be out in the next 2 weeks. From asking on the Mesq Am blog the Men's under 40 rotation is speculated to be Coyote Springs, Falcons Ridge and one of the Oasis courses. I played a round at Coyote Springs on Friday after the Am last year and really enjoyed it. Haven't played the other two.

i think you mean under 49. I wish i was still under 40...
Im staying at the Eureka. I want to Play Conestoga, and Wolf Creek, in addition to the tourney courses if they arent part of the rotation. Once I see the rotation, I will book my rounds for the week before (i'm going to golf in mesquite from 20-22rd, and play the Conestoga and Wolf Creek courses plus one more). I will be back up in Mesquite on the sunday night (maybe morning) to play another round. Then I can meet you for a round on monday...

Just booking some lessons to tune up for the season.

Ha, yes a definite typo, I wish I was under 40 also, the division is Men's Under 49.

I enjoyed Conestoga quite a bit. I was playing it well until a 10, on the 9th hole which was late in my round with the shotgun start. Took me out of any chance of finishing well in the tourney. Was in great condition last May with really fast greens.

my rotation is posted. I booked the courses on my rotation, then an extra round at wolf creek. I hope to play conestoga on friday 31 May, as I don't plan to make it to the final round.

I'm booked for Wolf Creek on Sunday and playing in the 130 person Skins Game at Falcons Ridge on Monday.

Looking at Conestoga for Friday if we don't make the Championship round.

The Mesquite Am has announced that they are changing the way they use indexes. They will use whichever is lower, your Tournament index or your 12 month low index.

I know they are trying to cut down on sandbagging, and I appreciate that. But I feel like I'm going into the Tourney a bit behind. My low 12 month is 8.4 (back in September) and I'm currently an 11.3. My game showed some positive signs this past weekend, but don't think I'll be any where near playing like I was in the fall when the Am starts in 3 weeks.

This is just around the corner. I'm flying out to Vegas on Saturday with one of my best golfing buddies and driving over to Mesquite. We are playing Wolf Creek on Sunday morning at 7am, then Falcon's Ridge on Monday in a 140 person hdcp'd skins game, then the Mesquite Am kicks off on Monday night with a group dinner. Tournament rounds start on Tuesday.

I'll be in the Woods flight - index's range from +0.1 to 10.2. I'll be using my 12 month low index of 8.4, which is 9th highest in the flight.

My course rotation:
Tuesday - Falcon's Ridge Black tees - 70.3/131 - 6,546 yards
Wednesday - Oasis Canyons Blue tees - 71.3/129 - 6,408 yards
Thursday - Coyote Springs Blue Tees - 72.0/137 - 6,807 yards

I typically play from around the 6300 to 6500 tees on my home course, but I fear that most of the guys in this flight usually play from much longer tees. Hopefully the USGA course hdcp formulas perform as advertised and I can hold my own. Have a feeling its going to be tough for me to finish high in the standings.

Good luck, wolf creek...yikes

Good luck CPL.

Your seemed to be in a good groove Sunday. I see you doing well in this event.

Keep us up to date!

Played Wolf Creek today as a warmup for Tuesday's tourney. My 2nd time playing. Shot a 45/47 for 92. Fought pulling the ball all day. Put me in some trouble. Beautiful course though.

a6arara5.jpg

This is just around the corner. I'm flying out to Vegas on Saturday with one of my best golfing buddies and driving over to Mesquite. We are playing Wolf Creek on Sunday morning at 7am, then Falcon's Ridge on Monday in a 140 person hdcp'd skins game, then the Mesquite Am kicks off on Monday night with a group dinner. Tournament rounds start on Tuesday.

I'll be in the Woods flight - index's range from +0.1 to 10.2. I'll be using my 12 month low index of 8.4, which is 9th highest in the flight.

My course rotation:
Tuesday - Falcon's Ridge Black tees - 70.3/131 - 6,546 yards
Wednesday - Oasis Canyons Blue tees - 71.3/129 - 6,408 yards
Thursday - Coyote Springs Blue Tees - 72.0/137 - 6,807 yards

I typically play from around the 6300 to 6500 tees on my home course, but I fear that most of the guys in this flight usually play from much longer tees. Hopefully the USGA course hdcp formulas perform as advertised and I can hold my own. Have a feeling its going to be tough for me to finish high in the standings.

This sounds like a blast! Is it an annual event?

I know you will do well Barry, good luck to you and geneticistx in the tournament.

Yes. This is the 11th year of the event. My 2nd year attending.

Go get em Barry! You have an awesome swing buddy and I hope you are kicking in all cylinders :thumb:

Practice round/skins game at Falcons Ridge. Nice course which hosted Big Break Mesquite. Huge elevation changes on several holes. Played well today, 39/43 for an 82. Had 4 birdies!

Playing the first round of the tourney here tomorrow.

Birdied hole #6 which is pictured below.

egepa3u9.jpg

Oh my, what a start to the Am. Had a gross 99, net 89 from the tips at Falcon Ridge in a windy day. I'm out of the competition on the first day. Had 4, not just blow up holes, but Hiroshima holes. 37 on four holes (11, 10, 8,8), 62 on the other 14 holes.

Will get a standings sheet later, but figure my score has got to be near the bottom. Oh well. Great courses here so will have fun anyway.

Oh my, what a start to the Am. Had a gross 99, net 89 from the tips at Falcon Ridge in a windy day. I'm out of the competition on the first day. Had 4, not just blow up holes, but Hiroshima holes. 37 on four holes (11, 10, 8,8), 62 on the other 14 holes.

Will get a standings sheet later, but figure my score has got to be near the bottom. Oh well. Great courses here so will have fun anyway.

Now that its out of your system have fun and enjoy it!

That's a tough four holes, Barry. There's always tomorrow.

Back