The Official Tiger Woods Thread

I just went back and watched again. Looks about 2-2.5' behind his original divot. I say no foul.

Yup.

And simply being a PGA professional doesn't lend tremendous credibility. I know some I wouldn't trust to referee a 6-year-old match. Not saying that's the case with Eric, just saying that the label PGA professional doesn't make his opinion immediately right.
I don't know what happened that the OP mentioned. I didn't see it. Might be right, might be wrong, I have no idea.

But I do know I don't take a lot of stock in what iacas has to say.

I will say that Jason Sobel is talking about it, so we'll either hear complete silence, or some sort of explanation.

This is really dumb. Let guys all over the Internet raise a stink about the rules of the game because they have nothing better to do. It's the 21st century way of phoning in a rules infraction. No one will do a damn thing about pro golfers taking 6 hours to play a round of golf (14 year old amateur penalties aside), but god forbid a drop is wrong by a freaking yard, that must be dealt with according to these armchair rules officials.

I will say that Jason Sobel is talking about it, so we'll either hear complete silence, or some sort of explanation.

Sobel just said some tour pros say it was illegal, but rules officials say no harm no foul. Wonder who wins that battle.

According to Bob Estes, dropping 2 yds behind your original spot of play is not an option when playing your next shot.

And I'm not saying the source is credible or not, but WHAT the quote is saying is how most people would interpret that rule.

This is really dumb. Let guys all over the Internet raise a stink about the rules of the game because they have nothing better to do. It's the 21st century way of phoning in a rules infraction. No one will do a damn thing about pro golfers taking 6 hours to play a round of golf (14 year old amateur penalties aside), but god forbid a drop is wrong by a freaking yard, that must be dealt with according to these armchair rules officials.

I was trying to do the site a service and bring it to people's attention that it was being talked about.

I do agree if is a little ridiculous but thought it was something that can have good discussion.

For those that missed it. I didn't hear the interview but perhaps he meant a couple feet. No way this is two yards. Original is just in front and slightly right there.
se6agudu.jpg

I disagree Ary.

Professional golfers know they're on TV and they know a rules violation can be caught by TV viewers. They also can be caught by fellow-competitors, rules officials, marshals, or even spectators at the event. Simply put, if they break a rule, it doesn't matter that it was phoned in. If they want to change that, then they'd have to change it so that only fellow-competitors or rules officials can dispute something. Follow the rules or pay the price.

I can't speak to why it takes 6 hours to finish the round, but apparently there's rules around that too.

I was trying to do the site a service and bring it to people's attention that it was being talked about.

I do agree if is a little ridiculous but thought it was something that can have good discussion.

I'm glad you did as it's definitely interesting.

Hate that the PGA Tour accepts rule violations information from callers on the phone, I don't know of any other sport that allows this. This should have never started and they should end it now. The players, fellow competitors and rules officials should be the only people able to call a rules infraction during a tournament and once that card is signed and turned in there should be no further action taken. IIRC they have started having a rules official review all the TV coverage and can call it from the booth so to say.

Hate that the PGA Tour accepts rule violations information from callers on the phone, I don't know of any other sport that allows this. This should have never started and they should end it now. The players, fellow competitors and rules officials should be the only people able to call a rules infraction during a tournament and once that card is signed and turned in there should be no further action taken. IIRC they have started having a rules official review all the TV coverage and can call it from the booth so to say.

This is a little different as it's based on his own words (allegedly). Meaning he either misspoke, misunderstood the rule, or intentionally broke it (doubtful). The pics seem to indicate he misspoke.

EDIT: Reading his comments, he definitely didn't mis-speak.

Last edited:
I disagree Ary.

Professional golfers know they're on TV and they know a rules violation can be caught by TV viewers. They also can be caught by fellow-competitors, rules officials, marshals, or even spectators at the event. Simply put, if they break a rule, it doesn't matter that it was phoned in. If they want to change that, then they'd have to change it so that only fellow-competitors or rules officials can dispute something. Follow the rules or pay the price.

I can't speak to why it takes 6 hours to finish the round, but apparently there's rules around that too.

But here's my counterpoint to that: it's not equal for professionals. Basically, every single one of Tiger's shots are shown on TV on all of his rounds. But for example, take a guy like Stewart Cink, how many of his shots are shown in a normal round? So what if Cink took a drop that was a few feet behind his original spot, and it wasn't on TV and he didn't go on TV afterwards to do an interview where he said he took a drop "2 yards behind" his original spot? Nothing would happen, and it wouldn't be an issue because no one would know about it. Since it's not equal in terms of TV coverage that every player gets, it's silly in my mind that people can call in violations.

On the late night highlights show, Feherty says it wasn't a legal drop and rules officials are looking at it..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

On the late night highlights show, Feherty says it wasn't a legal drop and rules officials are looking at it..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

What show is this?

For those who didn't catch Tigers interview.

Originally Posted by cheetahpilot

Quotes from TigerWoods.com from today's post round interview:

Q: How hard is it, that second shot on 15 after getting a bad break like that?

TIGER WOODS: Well, I went down to the drop area, that wasn't going to be a good spot, because obviously it's into the grain, it's really grainy there. And it was a little bit wet. So it was muddy and not a good spot to drop. So I went back to where I played it from, but I went two yards further back and I took, tried to take two yards off the shot of what I felt I hit. And that should land me short of the flag and not have it either hit the flag or skip over the back. I felt that that was going to be the right decision to take off four right there. And I did. It worked out perfectly.

Q: He's playing with a guy shooting in the 80s, just wonder what you think of the harshness of that.

TIGER WOODS: Well, rules are rules. We have had a case of slow play for some of the guys out here on TOUR and we have our policies. And, unfortunately, he either didn't pick it up or sometimes you can get guys who are hitting shots or backing off a couple shots and you can get weird times. It can happen. I don't know what his situation is, but it's unfortunate.

This is interesting.

Certainly doesn't sound a situation if him being misspoken. Even doesn't look 4' still though, but obviously he is standing there and camera angles can play tricks.

Certainly doesn't sound a situation if him being misspoken. Even doesn't look 4' still though, but obviously he is standing there and camera angles can play tricks.

Looks like about 2 feet back to me. I know there's no exact definition of "as near as possible," so my bet is that this one slides.

Looks like about 2 feet back to me. I know there's no exact definition of "as near as possible," so my bet is that this one slides.

I agree. At this point I don't think anything will happen. It's hard to tell with these cameras because they can play tricks on the eye but when Tiger says he dropped 2 yards behind he probably dropped 2 yards behind.

I agree. At this point I don't think anything will happen. It's hard to tell with these cameras because they can play tricks on the eye but when Tiger says he dropped 2 yards behind he probably dropped 2 yards behind.

And the fact he said it twice.

Yup. *I* say no harm no foul - he was not nearer the hole, which is usually the defining factor in a broken rule of this sort.

HOWEVER

The rule explicitly states words to the effect of 'near as possible to the prior shot'. Tiger clearly says he did not. I watched it live, the pic posted above is not indicative of distance, due to perspective or whatever --- TW was clearly more than a foot or two back of his original shot.

ERGO

It stands to reason that he may be punished. If they choose not to punish, when the officials make a statement (which they clearly now have to do) they will have to say what I said above, about the intent and not being closer to the hole.

To those saying he could go back as far as he wants, no he cannot - the ball did not last cross the margin of the hazard on *that* line. On *that* line, he hit the pin. It then vectored off on a different line, and re-crossed the hazard line - **THAT** line, he can go back as far as he wants, though he'd be in the woods pretty quickly if you look at the angle. On his original shot line, he has to drop, again, 'as near as possible' to the original shot.

I think there has to be a statement made by the rules officials now and it's going to be interesting to see what they say, if they decide it was an illegal drop then he has to be DQ'ed for signing an incorrect scorecard. Since it has been mentioned on the late night show and other media sources I think they have to at least address it.

Back