The Official Tiger Woods Thread

What do you think the odds are that Tiger DQ's himself? He's got to realize his mistake by now. It would probably in the long run, do more towards repairing his image than winning any amount of majors
Sent from my Windows 8 Phone

Sky sports' David Howell Tour pro t11 in the masters suggested TWs drop was on the borderline of acceptance

Can't see any way this is allowed to slide. Tiger clearly said he intentionally dropped in a location that was NOT as close as possible to the original position. How can that be just ignored because it "looks" like only a couple of feet on TV? Tiger himself said it was a couple of yards. Either way this is a huge goof up by Tiger. His lack of rules awareness has put the rules committee in a ridiculous position. All he had to do was ask one of the dozens of rules officials what he needed to do.

If it is deemed that tiger dropped 2 yards from the spot he originally hit and there was no issue with the area, he should be DQ'd. 6' is not as close as possible. And like he said, the rules are the rules.

This apparent rules infraction has the potential of really tarnishing Tiger's image. If he really did drop two yards behind the original shot and the rules officials somehow let him slide by, this has controversy written all over it. If Tiger goes on to win, by let's say one stroke, what then? I agree with whoever already posted that Tiger should take the penalty and improve his image as a true and fair sportsman.

IF Tiger is DQD then the masters is over for me for another year!

This is one year that the Masters did not need this. After having to repeatedly say the "rules are the rules" about penalizing the young amateur, they don't need this. However Augusta has been lax with drop rules in the past. Rory got away with the bunker issue. Els got away with a marginal drop. But neither of those had people talking about the rules left and right.

Abu Dhabi got Tiger too, I think he should brush up on the rules, personally, but that is neither here nor there. He is not going to DQ himself on it.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Tiger will spin it, heck any pro would spin it, if not found in the wrong. He will fall back on the ruling instead of the rule. It's the Master's they do what they want.
I only saw the replay and them saw all the buzz shortly after while at dinner last night. I just don't think anything will
Happen. But he should take a page out of DJ's book and take his medicine like a man.

Man this would be nuts, I think this would be a bad move on the Masters part if this were to happen

This might be off.. But I think the Masters folks are smarter than we think. If they DQ Tiger, ratings will plummet. Not as bad as other tourneys, but we all know golf is more appreciated and watched when Tiger is in the mix on Sundays.

I didn't witness the thing on TV yesterday, but what I can see from the pictures for me there was no foul, the drop was made two feet from the original position, it doesn't matter what Tiger said about two yards. But that's only my opinion, rules are to be judged my officials, they will decide whatever they decide. I hope TW doesn't get DQ'd, because I'd really like to see him win this one.

watch the viewing figures of the master plummet if Tiger is DQD

I really don't think Tiger will be dq'd. He's got too much star power.

This might be off.. But I think the Masters folks are smarter than we think. If they DQ Tiger, ratings will plummet. Not as bad as other tourneys, but we all know golf is more appreciated and watched when Tiger is in the mix on Sundays.

They dont care about ratings like the other places or the Tour does.

They dont care about ratings like the other places or the Tour does.

You're right JB. But if there is one player that will beat this scenario, it's TW.

What's your thought on the picture JB?

Dude, my Bridgestone J40 that I ordered is a BOMBER! Love that GD ADDi 7 shaft!

Sky Sports in UK seem 99% certain that Tiger will be DQd. They concede that nobody wants TW out, particularly in such a way, but how can he not be? He broke the rule and dropped in the wrong place. He took 2 yards further because he preferred that yardage. He damned himself in two interviews, one explaining that he deliberately took2 yards and another saying rules are rules. It is a terrible shame to lose him, but I cannot see how it can be any other way.:bulgy-eyes:

Rules are rules, if you break them than you should be penalized. There shouldn't be any favoritism because its Tiger.

This is one year that the Masters did not need this. After having to repeatedly say the "rules are the rules" about penalizing the young amateur, they don't need this. However Augusta has been lax with drop rules in the past. Rory got away with the bunker issue. Els got away with a marginal drop. But neither of those had people talking about the rules left and right.

Abu Dhabi got Tiger too, I think he should brush up on the rules, personally, but that is neither here nor there. He is not going to DQ himself on it.

You're right JB. But if there is one player that will beat this scenario, it's TW.

What's your thought on the picture JB?

Here is my quote from above. Should he be? Probably (based only on playing the rules black an white). Most years, I think this is glossed over by the rules committee. They have been lax in the past as I said above. Im just not sure after the young man being penalized yesterday if they can regardless if this rule can be "determined".

This just simply sucks, the whole situation is horrible. He should DQ himself and get away from anything that resembles Vijay activity. It will hurt him.

Upon further reflection, the tournament, USGA and Tiger are all really in a pickle.

They're going to have to make a statement about it. Even if they come out with an excuse on why Tiger is not being DQ'd, Tiger's going to get hammered about it by the media. It's going to be really tough for him to explain why he said what he said, if there is no DQ.

On the other hand, the LAST thing the powers-that-be want is to DQ Tiger. So they'll be scrambling amongst themselves this morning to find anything they can use as an excuse to say the drop was OK. Unfortunately for them, there's precedent of disqualifying golfers long after the fact via video evidence, so they can't use the "we didn't realize it and it's too late now" excuse.

The ONLY way for Tiger to come out smelling like a rose is to DQ himself.

It will be very interesting to see what happens.

I'm not so sure the powers that be at August care who Tiger is when it comes to stuff like this, they will do what they think is right and really won't worry about their reputation.

Tiger can say hat it's down hill and he tried to drop so the ball came to rest nearest the spot. 2 yards is not accurate. 18'' maybe.

Upon further reflection, the tournament, USGA and Tiger are all really in a pickle.

They're going to have to make a statement about it. Even if they come out with an excuse on why Tiger is not being DQ'd, Tiger's going to get hammered about it by the media. It's going to be really tough for him to explain why he said what he said, if there is no DQ.

On the other hand, the LAST thing the powers-that-be want is to DQ Tiger. So they'll be scrambling amongst themselves this morning to find anything they can use as an excuse to say the drop was OK. Unfortunately for them, there's precedent of disqualifying golfers long after the fact via video evidence, so they can't use the "we didn't realize it and it's too late now" excuse.

The ONLY way for Tiger to come out smelling like a rose is to DQ himself.

It will be very interesting to see what happens.

I agree. If he does DQ himself, we all agree how the worlds best player understands the integrity of the game. If he doesn't, we assume that advertisers, the authorities and TV have all conspired to make a nonsense of the sport as anything other than an exhibition.

surely a decision has to be made before bubba tees it up??

Back