The Official Tiger Woods Thread

I have lost all respect for the PGA and the Masters. I will not watch any coverage the rest of the weekend. You punish a 14 year old kid and let Tiger and those guys play 6 hour rounds. Then Tiger admits to breaking a rule and you use "rule committee discretion" to only apply a 2 stroke penalty instead of the normal DQ.

I am not a Tiger hater, but this is just plain BS.

The DQ would have been rule committee discretion too. The rule itself is a gray area.

Perfect shots don't go in the water. Lots of other guys who hit that shot ended with par, not triple. Far from perfect.

It nearly dropped in the hole on the fly, I call it pretty close to perfect. I think you are confusing bad fortune with a bad shot, or maybe your shot standards are just higher than mine.

I'd rather see Tiger DQ himself than play at this point.

This is just a bailout

tap'n from my big as Note2

Time to move on... Go FRED Couples!!

Tiger Rule.

Anyways...the best thing that could happen is Tiger just fall apart, so those actually at the top of the leaderboard can get more than 5 seconds of highlights.

It nearly dropped in the hole on the fly, I call it pretty close to perfect. I think you are confusing bad fortune with a bad shot, or maybe your shot standards are just higher than mine.

I'd rather see Tiger DQ himself than play at this point.

I just judge shots by the end result, not what happens in the middle.

Perfect shots don't go in the water. Lots of other guys who hit that shot ended with par, not triple. Far from perfect.

Are you serious?

Tapa Slice

@Graeme_McDowell: Take the fact that it was Tiger out of the equation and it is a fair ruling. Since it is him the debate begins about TV ratings etc etc.

He's not DQing himself, Tiger for me has taken a MAJOR(no pun intended) fall from grace for me, he used to be my HERO! But I'd of DQ'd myself

Isnt this a similiar ruling to stacey lewis and her caddie testing the sand>?

It is, but what was different is that it was brought to Lewis' attention prior to signing her scorecard, and she was assessed a penalty at the end of her round before signing her scorecard.

FWIW, I think it's silly that if the penalty is brought to your attention before your round is complete, it's a 2-stroke penalty, but if it's brought to your attention after the round (by TV or some other outlet), it's DQ. Call me a Tiger homer if you want, but that's my opinion.

Also never forget that the Masters knows that they are not only running a tournament, but there's running a TV show as well.

I have lost all respect for the PGA and the Masters. I will not watch any coverage the rest of the weekend. You punish a 14 year old kid and let Tiger and those guys play 6 hour rounds. Then Tiger admits to breaking a rule and you use "rule committee discretion" to only apply a 2 stroke penalty instead of the normal DQ.

I am not a Tiger hater, but this is just plain BS.

I'll watch because there are others playing for the win, but I agree that this is more less all a joke. I have more issue with the powers penalizing a 14 yr old for slow play, but letting the others slid for doing the same thing, and for groups taking nearly 6 hours to play a round. The ruling bodies have become a joke in all of this.

I think the issue here is that this rule is an extra gray area. What's "as close as possible?" Within 2 inches? Within 2 clubs? Within 2 grip lengths? Rules would need to be better defined, IMO.

Doesn't matter as close as possible isn't 2 yards which is what he said he was trying to do. He knows he tried to move back from the spot of his last ball and didnt try to play it as close as possible. But I agree a one club length rule would be better wording. He knows he misunderstood the rule and broke it and signed an incorrect score card. That alone to me is enough to DQ yourself if the rules officials didnt. I would have a lot of respect for tiger if he did that. Especially on this stage. And would prob do a lot for his credibility after what he's gone through the last few years.

Doesn't matter as close as possible isn't 2 yards which is what he said he was trying to do. He knows he tried to move back from the spot of his last ball and didnt try to play it as close as possible. But I agree a one club length rule would be better wording. He knows he misunderstood the rule and broke it and signed an incorrect score card. That alone to me is enough to DQ yourself if the rules officials didnt. I would have a lot of respect for tiger if he did that. Especially on this stage. And would prob do a lot for his credibility after what he's gone through the last few years.

But even the rules official didn't notice anything was amiss! They waited until the next day to even bring it up. You have to thusly assume that this was indeed called in by a viewer. Which is a whole new debate.

Seems like the right move. I think the 2 stroke penalty amendment is a good one. With all the technology and TV watching officials it makes sense (PS, I hate how golf allows this). This would have never come up when technology wasn't this good. The 2 stroke penalty was put in for this reason and in a tournament this close 2 stokes is a huge punishment. Time to move on.

The DQ would have been rule committee discretion too. The rule itself is a gray area.

I am not sure how the rule itself is a gray area. The rule is to punish you if you hit the ball in to a hazard. Tiger clearly broke the rule by going back 2 yards. Not 2 feet but 2 yards. This was not as close as possible. He did it to take an advantage of a punishment. However unlucky he was I still disagree, but I understand it is all about money.

It seems that none of the guys that actually play golf for a living think its a big deal.

I think tiger will dq himself
tap tap taparoo

screw it IMO there was no harm done with his drop it could rolled towards the hole as it was on a down slope it rested where it rested so... everyone drop the issue hes dropped 4 shots for a almost perfect shot... if you want him dqd he could just leave the game for good!!

Karma...

It is, but what was different is that it was brought to Lewis' attention prior to signing her scorecard, and she was assessed a penalty at the end of her round before signing her scorecard.

FWIW, I think it's silly that if the penalty is brought to your attention before your round is complete, it's a 2-stroke penalty, but if it's brought to your attention after the round (by TV or some other outlet), it's DQ. Call me a Tiger homer if you want, but that's my opinion.

Also never forget that the Masters knows that they are not only running a tournament, but there's running a TV show as well.

It's only a DQ cause he signed the incorrect score card. So he was DQed because he broke another rule. He could have a one stroke penalty if he marked it right away after he hit the a shot and finished the hole. 2 strokes by the new HDTV rule which was enforced on tiger or DQ for signing an incorrect scorecard. Plus enforcing the slow play stroke on the 14 year old the day before sure doesn't paint this picture any better.

Back