The Official Tiger Woods Thread

I'm probably in the minority on this. It's times like these that I really don't like professional golf. Tiger took a penalty and took a drop. When he did it, no one thought it was an issue except for the countless clowns who spend their lives calling into tournaments to report rules violations.

Hours later, after Tiger does post-round interviews, rules officials are then prompted to sift through the rules and do more handwringing over whether Tiger's drop was proper. There's no doubt that he was not trying to cheat or gain an advantage that he didn't think he could take.

To me, it's ridiculous. Applying the rues is one thing. Applying the rules hours after the apparent violation occurs (again, from prompting from television viewers - which draws the most ire from me) is just nonsensical.

Like I said, I suspect most will disagree. I just think that professional golf's history of applying the rules in this manner is the quintessential example of choosing form over substance, and I think the system should change.
i couldn't agree more!

My two cents. A ruling was made 2 years ago that allows for the two stroke penalty in cases like this. The officials have decided the ruling applies. Tiger, the field, the media and we the fans have to accept it and move on.

Whether we agree with ruling or not is probably a whole thread on its own, but it was made a couple of years ago. I am no Tiger fan, but he is a pro sportsman, the officials have made the call and his job is to get on with it. I'm sure he will. And we all get to see a wounded Tiger going for every pin...I think it will be great viewing.

There are all sorts of things in the pro game that make it different to the game that I play, line of sight nonsense drops for example, but I accept that there needs to be a degree of pragmatism.

I would guess that at my Saturday 4 ball, dropping 2 yards back, taking penalty of stroke and distance would have attracted precisely zero attention. We would all have been talking about the bad break off the flag. (Probably for years!)

Anyway, the ruling has been made. Looking forward to some fantastic golf.

Apologies if this has been said before but is the issue here not the intent? The idea being that it may not be possible to know exactly where the last shot was taken from, hence the phrasing of the rule ("close as possible"). Tiger intentionally didn't drop as close as possible, hence the problem?

Just a thought.

This is my take on it too. Clearly he intentionally dropped in a different spot - we have both visual evidence AND Tiger's statement of intent. Ignorance (of the rule) is no excuse, as they say. Whether the rule is somewhat unclear (no definition of nearest possible), HE STILL DROPPED ELSEWHERE INTENTIONALLY. By the usual definition of 'no nearer the hole', he didn't gain an advantage - doesn't matter, he still has to follow the rule to the letter, which he failed to do by moving away from the spot. You can't argue about the potential of the ball moving forward due to the slope either, that situation is clearly laid out (drop twice, place if it rolls nearer) and dealt with by PGA players on a routine basis.

Signed wrong card, boom DQ.

I am a big Tiger fan, and a big golf fan. But I think the rule 33 decision to not DQ him is incorrect. I think, in fact, a DQ would be less controversial and in the end better for golf due to the fact that it would show the rules have integrity (and Tiger too). The 2 stroke penalty decision isn't the end of the world or anything, I just think it's wrong.

I wasn't going to post but because so many are keeping this discussion going I will.

Tiger can say hat it's down hill and he tried to drop so the ball came to rest nearest the spot. 2 yards is not accurate. 18'' maybe.

Sorry, I'm not seeing this as evidence that Tiger is the anti-Christ. He was on a downslope where he dropped.

Nobody said he was. And if you watched the drop, the ball did not roll.

I guess I don't see it as a breach of integrity either is what I was getting at. I don't think he intended to take advantage of the situation. if he dropped on the divot, it probably would have rolled closer to the hole.
If it does roll closer then you pick it up and re-drop. And if it rolls closer again, then you place it where it hit the ground. I would think, because that's what you do when a drop rolls back into a hazard.

So, just to be correct here... no one caught this until an armchair quarterback at home with a high def tv called or tweeted in to complain about it? Now the world is on fire that Tiger should hang himself? Seem's a little crazy, but ok.
They looked at it again because of what he said in the interview.

Brandel Chamblee needs to shut the f up, it's done already.
Then everyone here should drop it too. And everywhere else. But on it goes!

It never would have become an issue if it were either of those guys. The TV whistle blowers only seem to focus on Tiger.
No, they do not. They focus on whoever they can. But it's definitely affects the people on TV more.

I figured last night they would assess a two shot penalty and invoke the rule they did. I wish I had said it in the post I made last night!

I'm probably in the minority on this. It's times like these that I really don't like professional golf. Tiger took a penalty and took a drop. When he did it, no one thought it was an issue except for the countless clowns who spend their lives calling into tournaments to report rules violations.

Hours later, after Tiger does post-round interviews, rules officials are then prompted to sift through the rules and do more handwringing over whether Tiger's drop was proper. There's no doubt that he was not trying to cheat or gain an advantage that he didn't think he could take.

To me, it's ridiculous. Applying the rues is one thing. Applying the rules hours after the apparent violation occurs (again, from prompting from television viewers - which draws the most ire from me) is just nonsensical.

Like I said, I suspect most will disagree. I just think that professional golf's history of applying the rules in this manner is the quintessential example of choosing form over substance, and I think the system should change.

I completely agree with you.

I'm not a Tiger fan, but I agree. The rules of golf are complex and although he should have know better, in his mind he was taking a proper drop. Waving a disqualification by the rules committee for signing a wrong card is within the rules(rule 33). IMHO, there are too many rules in golf that result in disqualification. The 2 stroke penalty is harsh enough. I understand people like Nick Faldo not liking this ruling do to "the history of the game", but it is a fair decision. Part of what makes this so controversial is Tiger is such a polarizing figure. A couple of my buddies who are criticizing this decision rarely follow the rules of golf perfectly themselves.

Twitter, the golf channel, here, the world's going mad LOL. It was an unintentional incorrect drop. As per the rules, a 2 shot penalty has been applied. Like many others, I really don't like trial by TV. I'm no Tiger hater, I'm no fan either, but if I can't have a British or Sergio winner, I'd love to see him go on and win it now just to send twitter and the pundits into meltdown!!!

I really think that people are missing the point that Tiger himself started the issue again in his post round interview, I believe the Committee had it as no harm no foul until Tiger mentioned going back 2 yards back for a better yardage, which IMO is gaining an advantage...

That being said they made the ruling....Play on

I really think that people are missing the point that Tiger himself started the issue again in his post round interview, I believe the Committee had it as no harm no foul until Tiger mentioned going back 2 yards back for a better yardage, which IMO is gaining an advantage...

That being said they made the ruling....Play on

I wish I was good enough for the 2 yards to be an advantage for me.

Signed wrong card, boom DQ.

I am a big Tiger fan, and a big golf fan. But I think the rule 33 decision to not DQ him is incorrect.

Unfortunately, the rules committee disagrees. And the rules committee has a lot of other people in attendance they can bounce the idea off of, namely the USGA and R&A. Also, Fred Ridley is head of rules committee. Former USGA president.

Tiger can't win. I think they found the one loophole that lets him play the weekend. I wonder of he would gain any fans by dqing himself? Probably not.

Unfortunately, the rules committee disagrees. And the rules committee has a lot of other people in attendance they can bounce the idea off of, namely the USGA and R&A. Also, Fred Ridley is head of rules committee. Former USGA president.

Agree, neither the rules committee nor the ANGC or the USGA nor TW nor the TV execs give a hoot what I think :) And they are within their rights to make this decision, it's what they are there for! I guess I'm an old fart traditionalist, I don't like anchored putters either ;)

Either my ipad is really slow updating, or Tiger Woods is the slowest typer on the planet!

Either my ipad is really slow updating, or Tiger Woods is the slowest typer on the planet!

He's dictating all of that to Lindsey. Haha

the real question is, how long until tiger fires lacava? This is the second rules incident for tiger this season, some of that falls on the caddy. We all know what they say about crap rolling downhill...

the real question is, how long until tiger fires lacava? This is the second rules incident for tiger this season, some of that falls on the caddy. We all know what they say about crap rolling downhill...

Easier to pay Lacava to take a rules class

I am not a Tiger fan....but I am not a hater either. I am fine with the 2 stroke penalty, thats why they put that rule into place a few years ago because they thought it was too harsh to DQ somebody for signing an incorrect scorecard when they didn't even know they violated a rule.

So I agree with the use of the rule in this instance, it will be interesting to see how Tiger plays today after this incident.

I am a fan of Tiger and I am a fan of this ruling. I have always thought that the whole signing of an incorrect scorecard DQ was the most bogus part about tournament golf. I get that it's the "rules" but it's a stupid rule in my opinion that has nothing to do with the golf that had been played. Assess the penalty, adjust the scorecard and just move on with the tournament.

I've always felt this way and this has nothing to do with me being a Tiger fan.

The head of the rules committee says the reporter should ask Woods if the drop was intentional.. What an idiot!! Isn't it HIS job???I love the way his face is getting redder and redder as he makes up excuses for not DQing Woods...

The head of the rules committee says the reporter should ask Woods if the drop was intentional.. What an idiot!! Isn't it HIS job???I love the way his face is getting redder and redder as he makes up excuses for not DQing Woods...

He made the right call according to Masters Precedent and current rules of golf.

He made the right call according to Masters Precedent and current rules of golf.

Tiger made the right call or the committee?

But it is ok to call a slow play penalty on the 14 year old.... They would protect Woods if he shot someone on the course......

But it is ok to call a slow play penalty on the 14 year old.... They would protect Woods if he shot someone on the course......

We will revisit this conversation when that 14 year old has 14 major wins. Sad truth. But it is the truth.

Back