2013 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have found my knees start to bother me a bit if I workout 5-6 days in a row doing cardio so I have begun mixing in 40-45 minutes of walking on the treadmill at a high incline. I think it is a great low resistance workout. I know I am drenched in sweat at the end of it so that has to be a good sign

TH34 - I walk on the treadmill at a fast pace - 4.6 -5.0 mph between 12-15 incline for 30-40 minutes. Great workout! ( I alternate days between this and the stair stepper machine ) Some days I will throw some sprints at a lower incline level on there as well. I too am drenched by the end of the workout. Now that its finally getting warmer, I am going to go outside at least 2 days a week and do a mix of bear crawls and sprints uphill.

One tip I do for the treadmill - as part of my cool down, I will lower the speed & set the incline to -2. I feel like doing this totally elongates the hamstrings, and I have always had a history of tight hammies! Now, some people say their knees hurt when they do this, but I think usually they are going to fast and jarring the lower body too much. But as always - listen to your body!

Plain Almonds are terrible.

It definitely took some time for me to adjust to eating almonds, but I like them now and don't mind them plain. They have been incredibly helpful on a golf course or just a work. Handful of them curb my appetite and lead me away from something it probably less healthy (but probably tastes better). Sunflowers seeds are always a good subsitute as well, just in moderation. They actually have some great health benefits when not coated with salt.

I dropped my form off to the memberships assistance two weeks ago and the woman just got back to me today asking for some info. I want to start something new but I guess I will wait now, only four days left on my membership. In the meantime I have been revisiting some insanity workouts and doing core workouts as well, I miss lifting though.

I go through this as well when I am focusing on cardio. I know what you mean man.

It definitely took some time for me to adjust to eating almonds, but I like them now and don't mind them plain. They have been incredibly helpful on a golf course or just a work. Handful of them curb my appetite and lead me away from something it probably less healthy (but probably tastes better). Sunflowers seeds are always a good subsitute as well, just in moderation. They actually have some great health benefits when not coated with salt.

Very good suggestion. I personally enjoy almonds but I am weird.

Very good suggestion. I personally enjoy almonds but I am weird.

I am eating them to curb my appetite. I am sure I will get used to them but I probably wont ever enjoy them.

I am eating them to curb my appetite. I am sure I will get used to them but I probably wont ever enjoy them.

Understood my man. I like to mix them with dried cranberries. I find it mixes it up nicely.

I thought the same thing, but I like them now..

I will give them this much, I was really hungry at around 11:30 and I had maybe 5 or 6 of them and I am good right now.

I will give them this much, I was really hungry at around 11:30 and I had maybe 5 or 6 of them and I am good right now.

Good to hear dude. They do the job.

Dev, these are quite tasty...

91279517-260x260-0-0_Emerald+Emerald+Dry+Roasted+Almonds+11+oz+Pack+of+.jpg

I walked 27 holes today, I don't think I am going to move tomorrow.

Just a bump to keep this thread relevant! Hope to see everyone maintaining and even increasing their newly aquired fitness levels. Easy to fall of the wagon in the spring / summer with kids sports, vacations, golf, etc. Find a way to get it ( something! ) done - no slacking!!

I walked 27 holes today, I don't think I am going to move tomorrow.

Fully recovered yet? Some some serious calorie burnage too

Fully recovered yet? Some some serious calorie burnage too

I've recovered by eating like crap lol. I have definitely put on 2-3 pounds over the last few weeks, I got really bummed out when my gym membership ended so I haven't done anything all that serious for the last two weeks.

Back on P90X. I really liked Blu's lifting program, but with grad school and moving and coaching, I just can't get to the gym right now. Did chest and back this AM and felt great!

Just a bump to keep this thread relevant! Hope to see everyone maintaining and even increasing their newly aquired fitness levels. Easy to fall of the wagon in the spring / summer with kids sports, vacations, golf, etc. Find a way to get it ( something! ) done - no slacking!!

I agree man. I have been of late. Really trying to get back after it.

So, a couple weekends ago I did my first Expedition Race with two buddies. And guess what??? My team won FIRST PLACE in our class! Couldn't believe it.

The race was 8 hours long. It required orientateering skills (including topography), cross country running (about 10 miles), road biking (about 22 miles) and kayaking (about 5 miles).

It was awesome... though my body paid the price the next day. I highly recommend this type of race to anyone who is in to that kinda thing.

So, a couple weekends ago I did my first Expedition Race with two buddies. And guess what??? My team won FIRST PLACE in our class! Couldn't believe it.

The race was 8 hours long. It required orientateering skills (including topography), cross country running (about 10 miles), road biking (about 22 miles) and kayaking (about 5 miles).

It was awesome... though my body paid the price the next day. I highly recommend this type of race to anyone who is in to that kinda thing.
Dude that sounds like an absolute blast! Nice work!!

way to go man, heck of an accomplishment

Ran 3 miles last night. Considering becoming a Vegetarian as well. Heard UltraMan participant Rich Roll speak last weekend and he had some really eye opening things to say about being a vegan. Not sure I could go that route but might try for a while..

Holy crap man! This is amazing!! Great work!

Bought Emerald Dry Roasted Almonds this morning on War Eagles recommendation. I hope they taste better than Natural Almonds.

Ran 3 miles last night. Considering becoming a Vegetarian as well. Heard UltraMan participant Rich Roll speak last weekend and he had some really eye opening things to say about being a vegan. Not sure I could go that route but might try for a while..
Isnt strongman Derek Poundstone a Vegetarian? For some reason I think he is.

Also, Prince Fielder is a vegetarian and it has really helped him with his weight/diet...
Spoiler
hi-res-153624346_crop_exact.jpg

Bought Emerald Dry Roasted Almonds this morning on War Eagles recommendation. I hope they taste better than Natural Almonds.
You're welcome.

Wow those Almonds are delicious! Thanks dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back