Do newer irons always mean better with continual updated technology?

Jasonrides

Reaction score
Handicap
I find it interesting that so many reviews of this years clubs usually give the impression that they are better than last years models. Not sure if this is more of a marketing thing, or if they really are getting better. When is the last time you saw a bad review of new golf clubs? You buy your favorite brand clubs that get great reviews. Next year there is now the new and improved? If you just buy these, Now your game will be even better. Does this ever stop?

I find it interesting that so many reviews of this years clubs usually give the impression that they are better than last years models. Not sure if this is more of a marketing thing, or if they really are getting better. When is the last time you saw a bad review of new golf clubs? You buy your favorite brand clubs that get great reviews. Next year there is now the new and improved? If you just buy these, Now your game will be even better. Does this ever stop?

I think it's like any consumer product. Things evolve. Will it be better for everybody? Of course not, but the idea that these companies take major steps backward I think would be equally off.

There is some truth to the improvements imo but mostly just marketing. Take the RBladez for example. I think the slot technology is an improvement over the rocketballz irons.

Tapa Slice

I'm pretty confused.

But, I demo ask much as possible. Got the right shaft and then I bought irons that were released 3 seasons ago. Go figure.

Year over year, I don't know. However, there was a substantial technology difference between my 5 year old irons and the RocketBladez irons I tested.

Taylormade says looong...
Adams is giving 1 million yards away...
Callaway says a whole lot longer...

You get the idea :)

Last edited:
I think it's like any consumer product. Things evolve. Will it be better for everybody? Of course not, but the idea that these companies take major steps backward I think would be equally off.

no one said they take major steps backwards, but the truth is they are taking absolutely tiny baby steps forward. Technology is pretty much maxed out and it's a matter of which technology works best for you. Mizuno irons (outside of the JPX 825) do not have their COG in the middle of the club face, but closer to the heel and if your a golfer that constantly strikes the ball closer to the heel you'll get more out of an iron with a COG closer to the heel than one that has a COG closer to the toe.

Marketing is the major driving factor with technology now a days. I hit new stuff because I feel confident sitting over it and always have an itch to find something butter, but the only thing causing my handicap to drop is practice, not new gear.

New gear will never make you a better golfer, but the right equipment can. Anyone who buys a new club hoping it will drop their handicap is sorely mislead I think.

The OEM's release new equipment every year why? Because there's a demand for it. We eat it up and leave our wive's and wallet's crying in our wake. The marketing is getting a bit out of hand but the onus is on every consumer to demo first and buy later. If golfers only buy equipment after seeing improvements from what they currently play everybody wins.

Every year people talk about technology being maxed out. I don't subscribe to that notion. I look forward to seeing what imagination and creativity can produce.

I am looking at buying the Ping G25's which will replaced my much heavier Bazooka Geo Max clubs. The Pings will be the first irons that I will be measured for. I was not able to test drive the Pings with the exception of hitting in a net at a store. I did find the ease of the swing and impact more enjoyable with the Ping's. I am hopeful after getting fitted clubs that have good forgiveness, regardless of what comes out in the next 5 years or more, these clubs will meet my needs and I won't feel like I am missing out on the latest and greatest irons.

The clubs are different. Does that mean better? Not necessarily for everyone, but generally, yes. The changes year to year are meant to make the clubs work better for the "average" golfer. Longer, straighter, all that jazz.
Are the changes year to year SIGNIFICANT? Not often, in my opinion. They tend to be incremental. A percent or two change in some esoteric measure of the sweet spot. Centre of Gravity moves a millimeter. That's "better", but you as an individual might not be able to tell.

Thing is, those changes add up. Try a driver from 6, 7 years ago and see if you notice a change. Sure, some people have found terrific matches for themselves and play them for years. I've got irons like that. But even I have hit some current clubs and thought "MAN, that's easier to hit".

Yeah, clubs are "better" each year. For someone. Are they going to be better enough to pay the prices for new clubs every year? Not to me, but YMMV.

I don't think that technology is maxed out. Do I think they are baby steps? Eh not really but they aren't strides either. Do I think buying a new set of irons every time they are released will make me a better golfer? No way only a fool would think that! I think if you are fit for a set of irons and the suit your game you could play them for as long as your getting the performance out of them, like spin and distance controll.

There's no doubt the claims are bigger than the actual advancements. However, things do move forward, so to say it's all marketing is not true either.

There's no doubt the claims are bigger than the actual advancements. However, things do move forward, so to say it's all marketing is not true either.

I'm not sure what advancements can be made other than forgiveness considering some of the best players in the world play blades and hit the clubs just as far and have as good of distance control as those using GI irons on tour. Point being, is that technology can only help with forgiveness (aka consistency for us amateurs). The companies that claim irons are longer are using 100% marketing because decreasing loft and using ultra lightweight shafts doesn't count.

Well, I think the scoring average on tour remains about the same from year to year. I guess if things were evolving much, we would see Tiger Woods and the like going lower and lower each year.
I am no expert. But , as far as irons go, it seems to me that once Karsten Solheim figured out hat perimeter weighting and cavity backs made things easier back in the late 60's, irons have not changed all that much.
Drivers, however , do seem to jump forward more rapidly.

Until irons reach the maximum COR, there is room to grow.

I think companies now try to make the faces more forgiving for us average golfers but if you hit the sweet spot every time there isn't much difference year to year. I feel the largest step forward year to year is in the shaft of the club.

Golf is just an evolving game

I honestly don't think major OEM's make bad clubs. I find the reviews I read highlight the changes that have been made and what players might benifit the most out of them.

I'm not sure what advancements can be made other than forgiveness considering some of the best players in the world play blades and hit the clubs just as far and have as good of distance control as those using GI irons on tour. Point being, is that technology can only help with forgiveness (aka consistency for us amateurs). The companies that claim irons are longer are using 100% marketing because decreasing loft and using ultra lightweight shafts doesn't count.

Decreasing loft and moving weight around to get the same ball flight as the original loft sure is not marketing. It was actual advancement in club making. Being able to add forgiveness (as much as they have) to clubs is a huge aspect of research and development.

Same thing with lighter weight shafts. Just 5 years ago, those lighter weight shafts could not be made at the same consistency they can be today. They were far more frail, could not be as stout and certainly could not be as dependable. All because of research and development.

I think companies now try to make the faces more forgiving for us average golfers but if you hit the sweet spot every time there isn't much difference year to year. I feel the largest step forward year to year is in the shaft of the club.

I think you hit the nail on the head! Golf company's continue to focus on making slightly improved clubs for the weekend golfer each year. Which means helping us get more loft and hitting on the sweet spot. Like what you guys said before, pros with newer blades have not improved their game much. Though the drivers today allow you to hit the ball a bit further compared to the famous Big Bertha of many years ago.

I don't think you see bad reviews because not everyone works for everyone. I see plenty of reviews where people say that certain aspects don't suit their eye or work well for them, but yet that doesn't make it a bad club.

Club reviews are so subjective and the fact that a company becomes well known, chances are they don't produce bad clubs at all, they just don't work for everyone and people are aware of that.

New gear will never make you a better golfer, but the right equipment can. Anyone who buys a new club hoping it will drop their handicap is sorely mislead I think.

The OEM's release new equipment every year why? Because there's a demand for it. We eat it up and leave our wive's and wallet's crying in our wake. The marketing is getting a bit out of hand but the onus is on every consumer to demo first and buy later. If golfers only buy equipment after seeing improvements from what they currently play everybody wins.

This ^^^^^^^. Once you find the right equipment that boosts your confidence and makes for an easier and fun day on the course, you are set for a while. Clubs do wear out and technology does improve. Golf companies are in the business of making money so sure, they will do their best at marketing and drawing in potential buyers.

There is some truth to the improvements imo but mostly just marketing. Take the RBladez for example. I think the slot technology is an improvement over the rocketballz irons.

Tapa Slice

When I went to the Golfsmith demo days a couple months ago the TM rep was going on and on about how this new slot technology was going to revolutionize the game. I wonder if she even knew Wilson had this 35 years ago:
http://www.amazon.com/Wilson-Reflex-Irons-Outdistance-Memorabilia/dp/B0086U5RB8

Back