Official 2012-2013 NBA Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
They were talking about the schedules today for round 1 and the Boston/Kicks series won't end in 7 until like 2 weeks from sunday, holy cow that could be a long series, what is the NBA thinking with these?

It's all about business and TV dollars. Having at least two games on everyday for the next 2 weeks for just the first round is what the NBA wants. I can't say I blame them. More rest SHOULD equal better competition, but you never know.

Mike and Mike were talking about the playoffs today, some things mentioned I sort of agree with.

1. 8 teams from each division is way too many, should be limited to the top 4, would make games that much more significant in the last month of season. Soryt of agree with this one.
2. Home Court advantage should be more than 1 game in each round since it was earned during the season, they Greeny proposed 5 games at home for better see compared to 4....not sure what I think about this.
3. Best team that doesnt make the playoffs gets first pick in draft, and so on. Stops the "tanking" from going on. The opposite side on that was that the "bad" teams dont get any better....their point was that for the most part, the same teams draft in the top few picks and continue to suck anyhow.

It's all about business and TV dollars. Having at least two games on everyday for the next 2 weeks for just the first round is what the NBA wants. I can't say I blame them. More rest SHOULD equal better competition, but you never know.
I understand the TV dollars and the business side, but for me it's such a turn off, I'll start paying attention once we get to the conference finals, it just drags on so much!

I don't agree at all with #3 Mike, but I do agree with the other two kinda. I think #3 would cause even more separation between the top few teams and the bottom teams. I love the NBA playoffs, I really do, but it's April 18th right now and the playoffs are about to start...the finals aren't until June! Really??? Goodness it's drawn out.

Also, anyone who doesn't think Damian Lillard is the clear choice for rookie of the year needs to get a rock thrown at their head. Are you kidding me?? The guy leads rookies in almost every major category, led the NBA in minutes played, and broke the blazers franchise record for 3 pointers made in a season. If you say Anthony Davis had a better year you are crazy and are obviously not watching the same games I am.

Been proposing that for the last 5 yrs. Don't agree with all of it, but it would be a huge improvement over the current playoff system.

Been proposing that for the last 5 yrs. Don't agree with all of it, but it would be a huge improvement over the current playoff system.

Agreed, I like point #1 the most really

I just read that a 6th seed is the lowest seed to ever win the nba title and it was only done once.

cant imagine too many 5 seeds have won either

1-4 seeds on each side ftw!

I just read that a 6th seed is the lowest seed to ever win the nba title and it was only done once.

cant imagine too many 5 seeds have won either

1-4 seeds on each side ftw!

Houston Rockets 94-95! "Don't ever underestimate the heart of a champion"

Agreed, I like point #1 the most really

I'm not a big fan of point 1. The NBA is such a deep league, so I think that limiting it to 4 teams from each conference would really hurt the playoffs. Just look at 2009-10, for example: 8 teams from the West had 50 wins. To win 50 games and not make the playoffs would be insane. But, you also have seasons like 2 years ago where a team that was 8 games below .500 (Indiana) makes the playoffs. And the West is consistently deeper than the East, so that would hurt the West even more.

Again though, it all comes down to money. I would love for just the top 16 teams to make it regardless of conference, but then that brings up re-alignment which would be a mess. The NBA has the best conference alignments at the moment, or at least theirs makes the most sense.

Also, anyone who doesn't think Damian Lillard is the clear choice for rookie of the year needs to get a rock thrown at their head. Are you kidding me?? The guy leads rookies in almost every major category, led the NBA in minutes played, and broke the blazers franchise record for 3 pointers made in a season. If you say Anthony Davis had a better year you are crazy and are obviously not watching the same games I am.

Check efficiency stats. Davis is one of the most efficient big men out there as well as a thread on both ends of the floor. Lillard had a good season, but a lot of that was because of the massive amount of minutes he played as well as being the leader of the offense by default.

Check efficiency stats. Davis is one of the most efficient big men out there as well as a thread on both ends of the floor. Lillard had a good season, but a lot of that was because of the massive amount of minutes he played as well as being the leader of the offense by default.

I guess we'll just agree to disagree.

I guess we'll just agree to disagree.

I could easily see the case for both. I'm not sure who I would vote for. Both are having unbelievable seasons.

I could easily see the case for both. I'm not sure who I would vote for. Both are having unbelievable seasons.

I agree. Don't get me wrong, I would vote for Lillard, but the race is much closer than people make it out to be. I'm not saying advanced stats are the way to go, but as you mentioned earlier, Lillard is the focal point of that team by default which inflates his numbers:

AdvancedGlossary · SHARESHARE [X] · Embed · CSV · PRE · LINK · ?
Rk
Player
Season
MP
PER
TS%
eFG%
ORB%
DRB%
TRB%
AST%
STL%
BLK%
TOV%
USG%
ORtg
DRtg
OWS
DWS
WS
WS/48
Anthony Davis
2012-13
Damian Lillard
2012-13

Per 36 Minutes

Glossary · SHARESHARE [X] · Embed · CSV · PRE · LINK · ?
Rk
Player
Season
GS
MP
FG
FGA
FG%
3P
3PA
3P%
FT
FTA
FT%
ORB
DRB
TRB
AST
STL
BLK
TOV
PF
PTS
Anthony Davis
2012-13
Damian Lillard
2012-13

I just read an article on Davis' efficiency over Lillard and while I can definitely understand that point of view I still think Lillard is the ROY by a decent margin. Davis only played in 64 games this year and had like a third of the minutes Lillard did. Obviously the more you play the more opportunities for missed shots/turnovers etc, especially for a rookie and especially for a PG.

Davis would be my vote...but it appears I dont get one this year

goodbye to Byron Scott from Cleveland

Yeah he didn't get much of a chance with that team. No one in right mind would want that position

Yeah he didn't get much of a chance with that team. No one in right mind would want that position

2-16 to end the season sure doesnt help matters

Looks like Lawrence Frank (DET) is gone now as well. I can't say that I blame them. I don't think he will find another HC job too quickly.

So with the playoffs coming up I'm wondering, you guys taking the Heat or the field? I think it's going to be tougher than some think but I'm taking the Heat.

So with the playoffs coming up I'm wondering, you guys taking the Heat or the field? I think it's going to be tougher than some think but I'm taking the Heat.

Heat..

Anybody but heat

Heat for sure. They're the best in the league by a wide margin I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back