Playing With Men vs. Women

Diane

Reaction score
I have found that I like to play golf with both men and women when they're easy going and just enjoy being on the course. The issues come in when they're not easy going - annoying women tend to be bossy and sticklers for the rules - insisting you mark your ball even when you're 20 feet from her ball or telling you what the penalty is as if you don't know. They also never touch the flagstick assuming you will wait on them and don't seem to know when it's their turn to hit. Annoying men on the other hand will tell you what you did wrong and putt as though every putt is for the green jacket. They think they can drive the green on every hole, throw clubs and whine after a bad shot.

I have found that I like to play golf with both men and women when they're easy going and just enjoy being on the course. The issues come in when they're not easy going - annoying women tend to be bossy and sticklers for the rules - insisting you mark your ball even when you're 20 feet from her ball or telling you what the penalty is as if you don't know. They also never touch the flagstick assuming you will wait on them and don't seem to know when it's their turn to hit. Annoying men on the other hand will tell you what you did wrong and putt as though every putt is for the green jacket. They think they can drive the green on every hole, throw clubs and whine after a bad shot.

You're using the "W" word again in referring to men. Why don't you start a thread called "Are You a Whining Male?" and see what happens. I suspect all of the responses will be from women who will say yes before the guy can answer.

I don't mind playing with either men or women on the course. As long as they don't fit into either of the categories Diane mentioned, anyways.

This past weekend I played with a pair of guys who had definite "opinions" on women on the course. They seemed to hold the opinion that if a woman was in the cart that automatically meant slow play and poor ability. Or if the woman could play well, she was some hairy she-brute. I enjoyed the round, but those comments seemed very odd to me so I tried to ignore them. And these guys were maybe late 30's-early 40's. :confused2:

I don't worry about anything anyone else does except for the following:

Slow play or people who think they are pro's, tearing up the golf course out of anger or not repairing your ball marks, raking bunkers, filling divots etc, people who cheat or try to be a pga teacher and lastly, people who have absolutely no etiquette.

I actually prefer to play with women cause I can learn a lot from a woman's swing. Most of the time, I woman's swing is nice and easy with the tempo I try to achieve. It looks like they are hardly trying and yet the ball goes farther than I can hit it.

I hate to play the man/woman game, but these are just my observations.

I hate to play the man/woman game, but these are just my observations.

I wasn't playing that game. What I am saying is that golfers of both genders can be annoying - just in different ways.

I wasn't playing that game. What I am saying is that golfers of both genders can be annoying - just in different ways.

I wasn't insinuating that you were. I just didn't want anyone to misconstrue what I wrote as man vs. woman.

Aside from playing golf with my wife, I haven't had the opportunity to play a rd with any women. A couple times I have been paired up with 1 or 2, but after the 1st couple holes they tell me to go ahead as they are just holding me up.

Don't know why, but pair me up with them & I can shoot lights out. Soon as I break away the game crumbles.

As long as people are easy-going and friendly, I enjoy playing golf with either men or women.

Does anyone else play better when paired with the opposite sex like Dyna does? Or does it make you more nervous? I'm asking about playing with strangers - not people you know.

I don't get nervous playing with strangers of either sex. I might play like carp but it's not because of nerves!

Does anyone else play better when paired with the opposite sex like Dyna does? Or does it make you more nervous? I'm asking about playing with strangers - not people you know.

I don't care what gender they are as long as they keep up, exhibit good golf manners, and are pleasant company.

Doesn't matter much to me, though playing with women is nice, because I have never had a guy tell me that I 'hit it a mile'!

I've only played golf with men. The medical director of my wife's clinic and I have talked about playing golf several times, but our schedules never meshed.

I've done both and have had good and bad times with both. I won't prejudge how it'll be just because of gender.

I do not like being paired with couples where the women are so insecure with their game they are always apologizing. This has happened several times in the last year or so. Men seem much less self conscious about how they play. I could care less how well anyone plays, as long as they move a long and have a good time.

I have enjoyed having a few singles, all men, paired with my Wife, Daughter, and I, and seeing the look on their face when they see they are going to have to play with a little girl and a woman. No one has ever been an ass, but you can tell they are concerned. Then my Daughter tees off on the first hole and they are astonished by her swing. Very satisfying.

Kevin

I don't really care which it is, as long as they keep a good pace of play, and show some love for the game.

I have enjoyed having a few singles, all men, paired with my Wife, Daughter, and I, and seeing the look on their face when they see they are going to have to play with a little girl and a woman. No one has ever been an ass, but you can tell they are concerned. Then my Daughter tees off on the first hole and they are astonished by her swing. Very satisfying.

Kevin

Playing well is the (second) best revenge. :golf:

Playing well is the (second) best revenge. :golf:

My first drive usually makes 'em a little nervous anyway, then Gracie ends it before we leave the first tee. :D

Kevin

Then my Daughter tees off on the first hole and they are astonished by her swing. Very satisfying.

Kevin

Played with a guy and his college age son and HS age daughter one afternoon. The daughter was a playa! Found out she was being looked at by several name colleges and had just gotten back from the Ping facility getting fitted next to some LPGA stars. Pretty cool stuff and she could play.

Played with a guy and his college age son and HS age daughter one afternoon. The daughter was a playa! Found out she was being looked at by several name colleges and had just gotten back from the Ping facility getting fitted next to some LPGA stars. Pretty cool stuff and she could play.

Mine's twelve, as if I ever stop talking about her since I came to this forum, and I think she can do the same thing if she sticks with it and works hard. So far, so good, but you never know with teenagers. At her age she can be really emotional on the course which, honestly, has probably bothered a few of our playing partners. But what the hell? She's 12 and her 'cap is 28.5, so it can't be too painful.

Kevin

The few times I have played with strangers, male or female, I have played better golf. I think I focus on my game more being a rookie. I guess that's the mental side of the game.

I like playing with women.

It's rare for me to be grouped with other women, but I prefer it normally to men. I'm not a gambler, and I don't have a lot of confidence in my game. I don't like the pressure that some guys thrive on - the desire to play for money. That does nothing for me. I've yet to run into a woman who asks me if I want to play a buck a hole or some such nonsense.

Back