What is a "Big hitter"?

I say big hitter is 280 yards 65% of time. lol, I'm a big hitter about 5% of time. i can bomb it straight 310 yards on one hole, then the rest of round 240 straight, 50-70 to the right. But that is with an over the top swing, which I'm desperately trying to cure before the snow is gone, and lessons begin (1st lessons ever this year). I'm now letting the club trail behind properly, but club speed is way less for the moment, than my whack, over the top swing. I'm actually surprised I was able to play as good as I did, when reviewing video of my last years swing (not pretty to watch).

Honestly, I say anybody that drives it over 260 carry and roll. Let' face it, most golfers can't even touch 240.
But then again, I want to consider myself a big hitter so maybe my answer is flawed :clap:

I would say a person who consistently gets it out there about 270-280 in the fairway is a big hitter. I have played with a guy who could bomb the ball but 9 out of 10 times it landed in the other fairway.

for me its anyone over 300 consistently and in play. dont' see it very often though.
so your saying you're a long hitter

Any amateur who can carry it 270 and as mentioned before find it is plenty long.
bingo

Someone who carries it 290 is a long hitter.
carry or hit. The top of the heap carries it this long.

--------

id venture to say a long hitter is some that can hit the PGA tour average and in play. And I don't mean swinging out of your shoes. Just a stock swing and its out there.

Many Internet golfers a big hitters.... Just saying.

I would say 275 is a big hitter. I generally get about 210-220 carry and then roll out to maybe 240. I am normally not being outdriven when I go and play a round near me. People don't realize how far 250 actually is

300+, but it will depend on a few other things for me as well. Last summer I played with a couple that was in their 70s and the guy hit it 250+ consistently. I considered him a big hitter for his age.

I don't consider my drives big unless they go over 300.

300+, but it will depend on a few other things for me as well. Last summer I played with a couple that was in their 70s and the guy hit it 250+ consistently. I considered him a big hitter for his age.

I don't consider my drives big unless they go over 300.

Damn that is spanking it, hope I can hit like that in my 70's or 30's 40's 50's or 60's.

I'd say anyone who consistently gets 280-300+ would be a big hitter in my eyes. I'm a smaller guy and average 255 so I don't think 260 or 270 is all that big really. I've only ever hit 300 once and was helped by wind and slope lol

I'm really not sure where I stand on this issue. I carry the ball about 260 on average and usually end up in the 270 range and I've never really thought of myself as a "big hitter". Quite often when I'm paired with strangers they are usually calling me a long-knocker by the 3rd tee-box and I'm not sure why?

Damn that is spanking it, hope I can hit like that in my 70's or 30's 40's 50's or 60's.

^^^^^ my thoughts exactly.

I'm really not sure where I stand on this issue. I carry the ball about 260 on average and usually end up in the 270 range and I've never really thought of myself as a "big hitter". Quite often when I'm paired with strangers they are usually calling me a long-knocker by the 3rd tee-box and I'm not sure why?[/QUOTE]

Thats because (as I mentioned earlier) with the average golfer out there that is long. I am in about the same boat as you but thats only if I have a better day with the driver and when I do I get the same responses as you. I always consider myself not as a big hitter but as "farily long" being in that range and we or anyone who is on that range would be exactly that IMO. "fairly long".

Thats why I think if one can average 280 to 290 they are big. There arent many people at all averaging that and especially more more than that out in the real world. And if they do but arent in play at least 50% of the time then its all pointless anyway. So yes, relative to most golfers, weekend hackers, part timers, and even many serious players IMO that is as I said "fairly long"

270+ carry when they want to, and 50% or more FIR's. A "big hitter" that hits 1 fairway per round, is as good as your local Phil Mickelson with a 60° wedge who can't get the ball up in the air.

I think you guys are all in the right frame for the term "big hitter". A couple of you have said the same thing that I was thinking. I'm not a very big guy, but I'm still a "young flat belly" and can turn and tourqe the driver pretty well. I've heard some of the guys I play with tell the guys we play though or what not, "Watch this kid here hit his driver" and such...inflate my ego some. I'm not going out to earn Xbomb patches for my golf bag every round, but I would have earned a few a couple of times.
I would say most "big hitters" are going to be hitting them out around 270-280 off the tee with roll, which is where most of you have said, too. I think that's fair, it's not PGA Tour long, but what's the PGA Tour Avg. drive sitting at right now? #1 Luke List is avg. 306.9 and last at #190 is Mike Weir with an avg. of 269.2 as of April 14th, 2013. In case you were curious how those are figured...."The average number of yards per measured drive. These drives are measured on two holes per round. Care is taken to select two holes which face in opposite directions to counteract the effect of wind. Drives are measured to the point at which they come to rest regardless of whether they are in the fairway or not. (101)"
Sooooo...there you have it!

James

Interesting fact James, I didn't realize how they got those averages.

The way some of us are thinking about what to consider realistic practical longer drives I wonder if we over think when we talk about drive distances getting out of hand in the PGA. What i mean is how many these guys realy averaging 300+ everytime. In the bigger picture its probably not as many we think that can also say they do it everytime. They make holes longer through the years because of this and now i wonder if its the right thing even at the PGA level.

The reason I wonder is for couple reasons. It could be contradicitng when they legnthen golf courses due to what realy may be the minority even at PGA status. And while the logic is that they nead to do it because of long hitters one can argue that they are actually giving them the advantage because its making it that much even more harder for the rest. So in a way it may actually be working sagainst the cause for doing it in the first place.

They say " thier driving too long" so they think "we have to legnthen holes" in order to compensate. But it may actualy be backfiring because the longer the holes the more the actual advantage goes to the longer hitters even if by means of the fact that its that much harder for the others. Kind of catch-22 if you think about it.

I also wonder if the whole theory is more due to the way these players are able to hit and play the long irons and fairway woods even if we exclude the drivers from the equation. That may be more responsible towards legnthening of golf courses than the actual driver hype.

I dont know but just started to think about this that way.

My definition is very easy to explain:

I do not consider myself a long hitter i carry 260-270 roll out another 10 yards when my swing is working i play with a buddy who can carry 300 when he steps on it most of the time he is 290 carry

Back