What is a "Big hitter"?

It is funny when someone claims tgey hit it 320, and when you gps it, it is 265ish. Happened yesterday.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I always think of 300 as the magic number. Sure 280 yards is definitely nothing to sneeze at, but I just think of 300 as "it"

It is funny when someone claims tgey hit it 320, and when you gps it, it is 265ish. Happened yesterday.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Any amateur who can carry it 270 and as mentioned before find it is plenty long.

I have a friend who puts it out there about 280 consistently.He is a good 20 yards longer than me.
Only guy I have played with that hit it absolutely huge, was a 42 year old former college player I met in Pinehurst. He, legitimately carried it over 310. And, the trajectory and perception of hisball speed was markedly different than anything I had ever seen in person. They were dramatically different than other guys that have claime 300 yard ability to me.
Most of the guys I play with swing in the 100 -105 range and hit it about 260.

Anyone who can carry the ball 265 or more is a big hitter. Plus roll, that will be a long drive.

bigger hitter, the Llama, the flowing robes.......

I think carrying it about 280 is a long hitter. I'm one of the longest hitter I know (sounds pompous, but it's true), and I carry it about 280. Most people say I'm a long hitter, so I'm gonna go with that.

265+ IMO.

bigger hitter, the Llama, the flowing robes.......

YES! I am so surprised noone has quoted it...

[video=youtube;8x-nQ-vPw5k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x-nQ-vPw5k[/video]

AHAH but seriously....I think a 280 Yard carry is a long hitter....

To me the number is 300. If a player can consistently hit it 300 yards or longer they're a big hitter in my books. I hit it on average right at the 280 range. I am not a big hitter.

Yeah, I would say over 275.

Though for myself, I consider a big hitter to be the guy with an extra gear. All too often, you see amateurs, such as myself, just swing as hard as possible all the time. I'll admit, I'm guilty of it. I play with a guy from time to time though who averaged probably 280 off the tee, but step up to a wide open par 5 and you know he's going over 300. He just hunkers down and has that 'extra gear'.

Average tour pro carry is 275 per trackman data.

Now with that being said if you can carry 260 that's a good poke, if you can carry 275 thats a big hitter for an amatuer.

I would say for me its 280

Someone who carries it 290 is a long hitter.

I think I need another new driver.

People i play with think i'm hitting it long. But they're usually older than me by 15+ years. I don't know players my age, i don't meet any on the course.

Personally, i think the 250, 260m i can put it out on a drive is probably average for a healthy mid 20 aged male; maybe good for being a small guy.

honestly that's well above average.

It is.......

Until you show up at a THP event and have to back up those claims. :alien:

I've just been sick at every THP event I have attended, honest.

Snarky answer: like one of the Supreme Court justices back in the day said, "I know it when I see it."

Real answer: anyone that can carry it 260 with their driver or anyone that is hitting less than 8 iron from 150 out. I probably carry it 230-250 with the driver depending on the day, and my distances are usually right there with most people that I play with. Even having played with 2 guys recently that played low-level college golf recently, their distances weren't tremendously further than me. That said, I have played with some guys at THP events that absolutely murder the ball, they are big hitters.

It depends on your altitude as well. Up here in West Jordan, UT at 4800ft, we get about 10% extra distance cause of the thinner air (on the longer clubs, anyways). So as a result, I've gotten driver out to 310 or 315 including roll before, especially in hard and fast conditions. But my longest drives at sea level will probably top out at around 275 with roll. So I'd say anyone who can carry it 270-ish at sea level, or around 300-ish up here, is a big hitter.

That said, I have played with some guys at THP events that absolutely murder the ball, they are big hitters.

Did you help them find their ball in the trees? :bananadance:

275ish. I can't stop pull hooking the ball long enough to put it out there that far though.

A big hitter to me puts it out over 280, which I never do....if I get 270 total I am excited...I average 255-260 total.

I'd call a real life big hitter someone who can hit the ball a total distance of 300 yards and find the fairway.

The pro I take lessons from.

Back