Who is the "organizer?"

GenErr

Reaction score
There's a group of guys I play with every so often on Saturday morning. One of the guys will call and ask if I'm available to join them. They usually give me a week's notice in advance. Very nice, very simple.

However, I've got some other friends I play golf with who will call and say "hey, let's get the guys together and play golf this week." Somehow I used to always end up being the person who coordinates everything - find out who was available and when, find a course that everyone liked, book a tee time(s), notify everyone, etc... Lately my response has been "sure, let me know when and where, and I'll be there."

How does this work with you? Do you take turns organizing your golfing? Do you have a set day/time every week? Just curious.

I am about 50/50. I play with my salesman and his uncle often and one of my customers and I are regular buddies. Whomever calls will normally have a place in mind, or one of us will get online right then and check out some course at GolfNow and we'll discuss it and book it right then.

We have gotten to the point of, hey wehere we playin today? Then one of us call's depending on the course. Generally Thursday's, Saturday's and Sunday's as a group. One of the guy's works till late AM on Sunday

We have 8 guys/families in our group which makes it kind of awkward when golfing. But we, and our families also do other things besides golf together. What we have done is assigned each of ourselves a month, and when it is one of our turns to plan something that person makes phone calls, and it is what it is. It's up to the others to say if they can make it or not. Next month is my turn, and we are all going to NFL game in SoCal some where. As for golf, there are 3 of us who golf together all the time, with some of the others joining us from time to time.

Whoever feels like playing emails and asks who wants to play? Then we usually have 10 more emails and if there is a threat of rain - it turns into a 50 emails. If the weather is changing, we discuss what we're going to wear. We discuss what we'll do for lunch and/or dinner. We discuss whether we'll meet at the course or drive together. Oh and we often surprise each other with little gifts of balls or tees.

Whoever feels like playing emails and asks who wants to play? Then we usually have 10 more emails and if there is a threat of rain - it turns into a 50 emails. If the weather is changing, we discuss what we're going to wear. We discuss what we'll do for lunch and/or dinner. We discuss whether we'll meet at the course or drive together. Oh and we often surprise each other with little gifts of balls or tees.

That's exactly what my buddies and I do.

Kevin

WOW Diane that is way more complicated than we get. I am usually the organizer. For us its pretty simple, I sent an email out..I list the course and the tee time and who wants to play. Once I get replies I set up who is riding and driving there with who and then its see ya there. So it is basically about 3 emails at the most. As for the rain and such well everyone has rain gear and knows if they are going to need it or not.

The one exception is our big tourney and get together we do once a year. This next year the tourney is up in Breckenridge and due to distances and bringing up wives and wanting to go up early and play a round before the tournament, we have already started talking about it and trying to make some preliminary plans.

Really - what little gifts have they given you?

Gimcracks, gew gaws, hand woven friendship anklets, socks, the occasional Hummel figurine or troll doll. Cute things to make the day fun.

Kevin

Gimcracks, gew gaws, hand woven friendship anklets, socks, the occasional Hummel figurine or troll doll. Cute things to make the day fun.

Kevin

Well, that stuff is better than they hair clips, fingernail polish and Prep H we usually exchange.

In my group of 3 people that I regularly play with, one person will usually call everyone to see if we want to play. Basically it depends on who feels the urge to play first. Oh and we always play the same course, my home course, well all of our's home course.

Kevin

Well, that stuff is better than they hair clips, fingernail polish and Prep H we usually exchange.

So--do you guys do each other's nails, or all go to the salon together after a round?

So--do you guys do each other's nails, or all go to the salon together after a round?

I can't speak for Mr. C-Tech, but with our group, if someone's wife and kids are out of town, we may make a post round visit to his house for a nice glass of chablis, sliced cheese, and some do it ourselves touch ups. Otherwise we hit the little boutique salon that's under the freeway and next to the gun shop.

No massages, though. Too uncomfortable for guys.

Kevin

lately I have been playing with guys from this site...

Pickup18

but otherwise... I organize a fair bit, but sometimes one of my buddies will call and ask, then actually get the tee time, etc.

I go out by myself and in two-somes a fair bit, but I also play with the guys from the aforementioned website and we often have 8-20 guys at a time with a little skins game and stuff.

since I'm by the country club most everyday before i go home after work I always set up the rounds there. We have 3 member group events a week, Thursdays at 5pm we have a 9 hole dogfight, Saturday at 8:45 am we have a 18 hole dogfight and sundays at 1pm we have a 2 or 3 best ball match in a group that one of our members wives started calling the d**khead group because we play after church on Sundays. So if you ever want to play on Sundays people always say put me down with the d**khead's, outside of those 3 rounds I usually play once or twice more with whoever I can find.

I am usually the organizer, especially when it comes to golf trips. I am leaving for a trip in two weeks :)blob::blob::blob:) and I have made every single arrangement. It’s a pain but in the end I don’t mind because that way I know things are taken care of.

I am usually the organizer, especially when it comes to golf trips. I am leaving for a trip in two weeks :)blob::blob::blob:) and I have made every single arrangement. It’s a pain but in the end I don’t mind because that way I know things were done my way.

I think that's what you were really saying. :rofl:

In some cases you are probably correct Diane :D but I will say we are playing several courses that were not high on my list. Let’s face it most people don’t want to deal with finding the right condo to stay in, getting in the deposits, etc; booking the tee times and all the other misc. items required.

All of which is reminding me I need to get going on the THP Quint State Classic for next year...

Usually I'm the one doijg the organizing. It's the only way it would get done right if not at all.

Back