Random question about XRays (Ary help)

JRod

Reaction score
Handicap
4.2 USGA
I just had about 12 x rays taken in a hospital of my hands and wrists. I have heard nightmare stories about how much this is gonna cost. I have great insurance but I am a little worried.

Any idea's on what this is going to set me back? It wasn't an ER visit but it was done in a hospital. It was also ordered by a doctor.

co pay? i think thats what i paid last time i needed them for outside of work injury.

It's all dependent on your insurance & plan. Since it wasnt an ER visit, but basically an outpatient visit, it will all depend on what your copay is and what the terms of your plan ready in regards to xrays and services of the like.

Yeah that's all I had to pay under insurance. Or I think I paid 10% depending on insurance

I had a $1500 MRI eight weeks ago and paid less than $100. Depends on your insurance plan.

Jrod, I deal with insurance a lot in my office. A lot of times x-rays will go toward your deductible, if you haven't met your deductible, you would have to pay the cost up until your deductible is met.

Say you have a $900 deductible and you have $100 to go to have it met for the year. Say the X-rays cost $200. You would be responsible for $100 and the insurance would pay for the rest.

Now if you have good insurance, you may not have a deductible or if may be very small. There's a good chance, if that's the case, you won't have to worry about a big bill.

Everyone who is eligible should have an HSA account. It's an account your employer can deposit funds in (and you can ask for extra to be deposited). The funds go in pre-tax as I recall, and you can use them for all eligible medical expenses. Best of all, it's an account you can keep for the rest of your life, so if you should build up an excess, it can be used for medical expenses later in life.

dcbrad answered this question much better than I ever could. I honestly don't know much about how much all of our tests cost, but I work in an ED so we treat people that we know can't pay a dime.

Everyone who is eligible should have an HSA account. It's an account your employer can deposit funds in (and you can ask for extra to be deposited). The funds go in pre-tax as I recall, and you can use them for all eligible medical expenses. Best of all, it's an account you can keep for the rest of your life, so if you should build up an excess, it can be used for medical expenses later in life.

Not all spending accounts are forever. We have one through my wife's work and its a use it or lose it each year.

Thanks for all the info guys we have really good healthcare through the wifes' work so I really hope I don't end up with an enormous bill.

Woody_74 would probably know. He does this stuff as a living.

Not all spending accounts are forever. We have one through my wife's work and its a use it or lose it each year.

Flexible spending accounts (sometimes called cafeteria plans) are use it or lose it each year. A Health Savings Account (HSA) balance will roll over from year to year. If you have multiple HSAs (from previous employers or a spouse), they cannot be rolled over or combined (like 401ks can), so it creates a bit of a book keeping issue. They are usually also subject to monthly account maintenance fees once you leave your employer.

54$ copay from 887$ worth of xrays.

HHJJ.

Back