Cobra AMP CELL Driver & AMP CELL Pro Driver Preview

My 2 cents:

Background(feel free to skip ahead):
Started playing 3 years ago. Got obsessed and played 2-4 times a month for that spring/summer to the point where I could play bogey golf on easier courses. I couldn't drive worth a darn though. I mean I could hit the bejesus out of the ball but I had no idea where it would go. Fast forward to now...haven't played in roughly 2 and half years and finally have time and money to get back into the sport. I really needed a new driver with a stiffer shaft so I tried a few out blindly hitting with no sim and this one and the R1 both felt good. I really liked the shorter shaft on the R1 as it felt like I had more control, but I was striking just as well with the AMP and it was $100 less...

I picked it up, hit 50 balls and went straight to the course cold turkey. I played 9 holes and hit 4/6 fairways with one of the misses being less than a foot right and one a just didn't hit long enough. The only thing that seemed off was the distance. I wasn't getting as much as I remembered getting with my old driver but it was hardly a big deal given the fact that I was on the fairway and not in the water. I was getting around 250-270ish on really clean looking drives(with roll). It could have been the wind or a number of other things though. I plan on going to the range and working it out a bit more to see if I can't figure it out. Overall though, I love this club and I have confidence driving where I had none before. Now I just need to shake off the rust, get my short game back, and then work on the long irons. Going to be a fun summer.

Oh...I got the blue one. :) It's very pretty looking.

Nice info, but what's wrong with 250-270???

My 2 cents:

Background(feel free to skip ahead):
Started playing 3 years ago. Got obsessed and played 2-4 times a month for that spring/summer to the point where I could play bogey golf on easier courses. I couldn't drive worth a darn though. I mean I could hit the bejesus out of the ball but I had no idea where it would go. Fast forward to now...haven't played in roughly 2 and half years and finally have time and money to get back into the sport. I really needed a new driver with a stiffer shaft so I tried a few out blindly hitting with no sim and this one and the R1 both felt good. I really liked the shorter shaft on the R1 as it felt like I had more control, but I was striking just as well with the AMP and it was $100 less...

I picked it up, hit 50 balls and went straight to the course cold turkey. I played 9 holes and hit 4/6 fairways with one of the misses being less than a foot right and one a just didn't hit long enough. The only thing that seemed off was the distance. I wasn't getting as much as I remembered getting with my old driver but it was hardly a big deal given the fact that I was on the fairway and not in the water. I was getting around 250-270ish on really clean looking drives(with roll). It could have been the wind or a number of other things though. I plan on going to the range and working it out a bit more to see if I can't figure it out. Overall though, I love this club and I have confidence driving where I had none before. Now I just need to shake off the rust, get my short game back, and then work on the long irons. Going to be a fun summer.

Oh...I got the blue one. :) It's very pretty looking.

Nice pick up man! Let us know what settings you end up with as well!

Nice info, but what's wrong with 250-270???

My other driver went 20-30 yards further when I hit it super clean(with roll). But like I said, It was a crap shoot. I often ended up so far out of bounds that it crushed my confidence. I remember one day I just hit 7 irons off the tees after some atrocious drives. Also, I thought I was hitting closer to 200-240 when I was on the course but when I was writing this I looked over the yardages on the scorecard and subtracted from where I was relative to the 150 markers and realized that I was a lot longer than I initially thought. It's been awhile since I played and this course was longer than what I was used to, so I think that probably played into my perception being off. I'll probably go to the range on Friday and hit a large bucket of balls. I can't wait to take it for another spin.

Boy oh boy would I love to win the masters special edition Amp Cell!

Another good driving day with the Amp Cell today after work. I played 9 and hit 6/7 fairways with it. The one that I did miss was just in the right rough, easily playable.

The bad: Somehow I dropped it on the cart path pulling it out of the bag and put a nice scar on it. I was none too happy with that at all.

Another good driving day with the Amp Cell today after work. I played 9 and hit 6/7 fairways with it. The one that I did miss was just in the right rough, easily playable.

The bad: Somehow I dropped it on the cart path pulling it out of the bag and put a nice scar on it. I was none too happy with that at all.

Oh man! I'm going to pretend that I didn't read that. So sorry to hear that. At least it still mashes.

Oh man! I'm going to pretend that I didn't read that. So sorry to hear that. At least it still mashes.

Luckily it's scarred on the back where the grey is, so it's not visible at address. If it was, it would drive me crazy. I bought this because I put a sky mark on my G20 and it bothered me so bad. Being on the grey, I'm going to the auto parts store to try to find some matching touch up paint and then buff it out.

Luckily it's scarred on the back where the grey is, so it's not visible at address. If it was, it would drive me crazy. I bought this because I put a sky mark on my G20 and it bothered me so bad. Being on the grey, I'm going to the auto parts store to try to find some matching touch up paint and then buff it out.

I hear that man. Really sorry to hear it. Well I hope you entered the contest for the Green one. Maybe you'll win a new one to look at and this one to game the heck out of!

My money is on Icey getting his first.

that's a good bet. Although with all the shat options he asked for they might be confused hehe

Are they going to be in today?

Are they going to be in today?

We have not heard. I actually like that Cobra ships FedEx, keeps me surprised and they deliver 6 days a week around here which is nice.

We have not heard. I actually like that Cobra ships FedEx, keeps me surprised and they deliver 6 days a week around here which is nice.
Gotcha. Going to be some sick combos coming in when they finally arrive.

Very true. They can just show up at ANY time with a sweet stick for us!

Do you know what setting you are going to start with?

9* I think it is a good starting point with my expected shaft. If I get either of my first two choices it will be at that loft. If I get my third I am immediately going to 8* You?

9* I think it is a good starting point with my expected shaft. If I get either of my first two choices it will be at that loft. If I get my third I am immediately going to 8* You?

I'm thinking of going in the 9's either in the neutral or draw. Going with the draw kind of freaks me out mentally, but it could be perfect

I'm thinking of going in the 9's either in the neutral or draw. Going with the draw kind of freaks me out mentally, but it could be perfect

Me too. I don't know what I would do if I saw a right to left ball flight haha.

that's a good bet. Although with all the shat options he asked for they might be confused hehe

True. Plus didn't he change his mind like 10 times?

I'm thinking 9.5 draw to start. Man I can't wait.

I know mine...I played today first 9 holes with my standard 9° R11...not one single successful drive...changed it to higher setting. Boom! All drives on the back 9 on the fairway. So my guess on the AMP Cell is that I'll start with 10.5°.

I know mine...I played today first 9 holes with my standard 9° R11...not one single successful drive...changed it to higher setting. Boom! All drives on the back 9 on the fairway. So my guess on the AMP Cell is that I'll start with 10.5°.

very nice. I thought before I would either start at the highest and work down, or do the opposite and start lowest and work up. But now I'm thinking just in that 9 range.

Darn you all, now all I'll be doing the rest of the afternoon is daydreaming about this beast!!!
I sure hope so.
I like to keep my options open!!!
9.5 for me, it's what worked best during testing/fitting.

Back