ripper

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey guys I thought I would ask you all for some advice. My brother went for a $99 lesson. After the lesson he was told about various pacakges and given some brochures. He really wants to get better, but money is tight, and lessons are expensive. After a lot of thinking, he decided on a $750 package listed in the brochure, consisting of 10 lessons, and emailed the Golftec guy. This was really really stretching his budget. The reply from Golftec was, no, its $1000 in lessons and practice. or nothing. We are both shocked, I am very angry. Here is the email from Golftec:

It was good to meet you yesterday. In the past I have sold a couple programs without practice and I have seen those students struggle compared to the students who use the video based practice. I have not sold one since and have decided not to accept students without the practice as these students have trouble improving. Making students play better golf is my livelihood and it doesn't help my reputation as a Coach if my students aren't improving. My suggestion to you based on your budget is the 3 month (10 lessons) with practice, the extra investment of $230 even if you just used 1/2hr or an hour of practice a week directly after your lesson, since your already here would be beneficial.

I have never used Golftec in Vancouver, and have great experiences with them in Texas, which is why I recommended he use them. I am really upset right now and dont see what to do, if I complain and get them to honor their pricing, his lessons will be pretty awkward with this guy. Any thoughts??

If its out of his price range I would suggest he look for some place else to take lessons. I wouldn't push them to honor a price even though its pretty crappy of them to change price on him like that.

I do agree that practice is important to see improvement but to the tune of $230 that's a lot.
Video does help but I can take video with my iPhone when hitting a $5 bucket of balls.

Look into local ranges, or courses who have instructors. Talk to them about their thought/theory on instruction and the game. Find one he meshs with and go with them.

A good instructor should ask what his goals are on the course, where he struggles and then be able to formulate a plan based on those. He/She may even have him hit some balls to get a feel of the swing before lessons start.

Just my honest two cents.

i really like golftec and i have never had an issue and don't practice there very often and def don't pay for it. i'd have your brother go somewhere else. and contact his boss and tell him he just lost a customer due to his personal opinions on improving and what he should and shouldn't do.

i really like golftec and i have never had an issue and don't practice there very often and def don't pay for it. i'd have your brother go somewhere else. and contact his boss and tell him he just lost a customer due to his personal opinions on improving and what he should and shouldn't do.

I agree, I have never had a problem up until now. I just cant believe that they wont allow him to buy a package if it doesnt include extra practice sessions. I also wrote to Golftec customer service and forwarded them the mail.

I agree, I have never had a problem up until now. I just cant believe that they wont allow him to buy a package if it doesnt include extra practice sessions. I also wrote to Golftec customer service and forwarded them the mail.

yeah i get they want you to practice and i agree it does help but financially golftec is very expensive and i wasn't paying for practice time when i know i can practice on stuff inside or outdoors elsewhere for close to nothing.

Yeah that sounds weird. Sounds like the guy running the place is way too aggressive with his hard sell. I'd go elsewhere, even another Golftec if possible.

That's ridiculous. Attempting to leverage more money for the sake of the instructor's reputation? RIDICULOUS.

"...doesn't help my reputation as a Coach if my students aren't improving."

This part in particular is quite atrocious.

I know alot of the GolfTec's are franchises, so that may be the case here...I bought my package without the practice mainly because it's 1 1/2 drive there for me and they let me hit balls for about 30 minutes after my lessons anyway.

Horseshit! They do a 5 lesson plan, have him ask about or take his money and time elsewhere. The drills and online stuff are there for a reason, so you don't have to go in and beat balls in a little box.

Hey Danny....long time no see bro!

What's happening brother!

So it turns out ,which I didnt think to ask, my Dad takes lessons from the same guy. So my brother doesnt want to create an uncomfortable situation by complaning. I am so disappointed in Golftec right now.

This is interesting... I have my first "Swing Evaluation" tomorrow morning with them (different location). I've never had any lessons before, so we'll see.

I'm sure I'll see what my options are for packages and report back to you. And I'll ask the instructor what he thinks about this to.

This is interesting... I have my first "Swing Evaluation" tomorrow morning with them (different location). I've never had any lessons before, so we'll see.

I'm sure I'll see what my options are for packages and report back to you. And I'll ask the instructor what he thinks about this to.
Thanks I would appreciate it. I have always taken Golftec lessons in the US and never had this come up and usually was asked if I wanted to practice for free afterwards (depending on bay availability)

I signed up for the ten lesson package and the price was 899.00 and included unlimited practive.

I actually had good luck with my Golftec experience. My coach and I hit it off really well and I had the pleasure of playing 18 holes with him. Nothing like real world experience outside getting coached all the way through.

I've never quite understood the lesson packages. Do you have to pay upfront or as you go? Are you required to take all 7-8-10 lessons and pay for them?

After taking lessons several years ago, I'm a big supporter of them for anyone wanting to improve. I don't know that I would want to make that kind of commitment though. The guy I went to has a local golf school and you just called and made an appointment. No minimum, no commitment. As I found out the more you go, the better you get, but it was entirely up to me how many I wanted to pay for. I probably spent about $400+ for lessons over a few months but it was always pay after and when I decided to be done, I was done.

I've never quite understood the lesson packages. Do you have to pay upfront or as you go? Are you required to take all 7-8-10 lessons and pay for them?

After taking lessons several years ago, I'm a big supporter of them for anyone wanting to improve. I don't know that I would want to make that kind of commitment though. The guy I went to has a local golf school and you just called and made an appointment. No minimum, no commitment. As I found out the more you go, the better you get, but it was entirely up to me how many I wanted to pay for. I probably spent about $400+ for lessons over a few months but it was always pay after and when I decided to be done, I was done.

In essence you pay up front and then take the lessons. They do offer a monthly payment plan.

Ripper, I am the Chair & CEO of GolfTEC Canada. I just saw your posting and the subsequent thread. I apologize for the experience that you have had at one of our centres, and want to make it right for you. Although we have only been operating in Canada for 2 1/2 years, we have built up a very loyal client following, and helped hundreds of Canadian men and women improve and enjoy this great game. I would suggest that you either call me directly on my cell - 604-763-8506, or PM me. I look forward to speaking with you soon. I am sure we can figure something out and get things moving in the right direction for you. James

Ripper, I am the Chair & CEO of GolfTEC Canada. I just saw your posting and the subsequent thread. I apologize for the experience that you have had at one of our centres, and want to make it right for you. Although we have only been operating in Canada for 2 1/2 years, we have built up a very loyal client following, and helped hundreds of Canadian men and women improve and enjoy this great game. I would suggest that you either call me directly on my cell - 604-763-8506, or PM me. I look forward to speaking with you soon. I am sure we can figure something out and get things moving in the right direction for you. James

this guy clearly knows how to run a business. love a good owner whos willing to help a customer. kudos to you james.

Good for GolTEC Canada for stepping up!

I went to GolfTEC and just talked to the pro there for a little while about what they do and what I'm looking for and he seemed like a great guy. I don't know if we are talking about the same location or not but the GolfTEC employee I spoke with didn't say that i have to pay for lessons on top but he did say that unless I have enough time to practice at their facility I wouldn't get the most out of it. Seemed like a fair statement to me at the time but he conveniently left out the part that the practice time wasn't included in the price.

That's some great customer service by GolfTEC Canada. Well done.

This is what I would expect from GolfTec. They truly stand behind their product an it's reputation. But that's what it takes to be successful and maintain a spot here at THP as well.

Holy Cow!!!! I cant believe you, the CEO, answered, very impressive! Somehow GolfTEC also took the initiative of finding my brother and having someone call him on this cell phone to apologize and let him know he can take the lessons and not have to buy extra practice sessions. That is extreme pro-activeness. Thanks a lot GolfTEC, you have a customer for life now.

Back