Stuff to do in L.A.

Erky

Reaction score
My wife and I are flying to L.A. on Saturday. We don't have a lot of specific plans, just getting out of town. We are in L.A. for 5 days, then we head to Vegas. We are going to hit Disney for a few days, and are staying at the Disneyland Hotel. For you SoCo THPers, anything specific I should be interested in doing besides hanging out with Mickey Mouse?

Not a massive fan of LA myself, but Santa Monica is a great place to spend a day, especially if the sun's shining.

Run from gun shots.

Santa Monica pier/beach

Griffith Observatory is really cool

Go OCEAN Fishing from a near by harbor. Or a boat ride to Catalina Island

Golf?

Catalina would be cool. If your wife is a museum-lover, the Getty is certainly worth visiting.

What type of things do you like to do? There's shopping at South Coast Plaza, whale watching in Newport Beach, museums if you want to drive further away. Getty, La Brea Tar Pits and the art museum, Museum of Tolerance, Ronald Reagan Library, Gene Autry Museum, etc.

Don't miss the shows at Disneyland/California Adventure. World of Color, Aladdin and Fantasmic are great shows.

Eat at an In-N-Out Burger, get the animal fries. Eat at Philippe's everything is good.

Thanks guys. Some good suggestions. Not having a plan was part of our plan, but I like having a trove of ideas.

The Getty is special. Laguna, Dana Point and Newport Beach are close-ish for you if you're at Disneyland Hotel. In addition to what others said, Venice Beach, Olvera Street, and drinks at Chateau Marmont. Have fun.

Universal studios and the Kodak theater tour are fun. Also a starmap tour is cool.

Take a lovers ride down PCH to Malibu. Check out the coast. Hunington Beach to Downtown Long Beach is nice. There's the Queen Mary and lots of restaurants in the area. You have Davey's Locker in the OC, midevil times and the pirates dinner shows, Knotts Berry farm for a funnel cake. If you run out of ideas and have a smartphone download trip advisor a few nice ideas on there for whatever area you will be near. Might have rain on Sunday and Monday too.

All good ideas here! I will add Newport Beach, maybe a day drive down to San Diego to see the zoo or Sea World or the Wild Animal Park. Or Mission bay area, seaport village or the gaslamp district or old town or Balboa park. Up in LA area a nice drive to Santa Barbara can be a nice way to spend a day.

Is Javier's at Crystal Cove worth the trip?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Just a drive up PCH can be a fun time.

The biggest thing I would recommend is to be strategic about what you intend to do. Try to maximize your activities in a particular part of LA all at once. If you think about doing a couple of things one day and they are say 20 miles apart you could end up wasting 2-4 hours of your day driving, depending on where you are trying to go. Where in LA are you staying (what city)?

Generally speaking the Disneyland days are going to eat up the entire day and you probably shouldn't plan on doing anything else those days. Be sure to give yourself enough time to enjoy the parks, there is a lot to see.

Doing the Catalina day trip is actually a decent idea. If you want to do something "LA" head up to Beverly Hills and spend a day at Rodeo Drive (many people opt for Hollywood, which I tend to think it is overrated; you could potentially do BH and H/wood together). That's potentially 4 of your 5 days right there. Even though you are from Fl and have your own beaches I think you can't really do So Cal without seeing some sand. Santa Monica, Huntington and Newport are good options. And your 5 days are up...

Since you are staying in O.C., I would recommend a day trip to Laguna Beach. Park the car somewhere near downtown. Walk on the beach, check out the tide pools, have a margarita at Las Brisas overlooking the water.

For Newport Beach, park on the peninsula by Balboa Pier. Take the ferry over to Balboa Island. Eat at Ruby's on the Balboa Pier on the 2nd level sun deck. Walk on the beach. Maybe do Laguna earlier, and do sunset in Newport.

The Getty Museum on the hill is cool. Great restaurant on site (great cafeteria, too). Traffic in LA, especially in that area, is a major pain, less so on weekends. So if you are thinking of a Getty day trip, go mid-day, enjoy the place, and have dinner in The Restaurant and watch the sun set. Traffic should be a little better heading back to OC after dark.

If you are thinking of Malibu, also think of stopping by the Getty Villa (with a pre-arranged reservation). It's a haul out to Malibu from OC, but there are some nice secluded beaches north of Malibu and beyond Zuma Beach.

Back