UST Mamiya Recoil Shafts Review Thread

That's awesome Jman I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the 110's!

Nice Jman, looking forward to your reviews as well. I will have to try a few swings at Vegas. Darn that trip might cost me more money than I thought.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Especially with lime ferrules and green Niion grips...but I digress :alien:

Thanks Dam, I'm eager to put these through their paces.

I was intrigued at the PGA show, but the review on the 125's have made me want to see it first hand for myself. Also, JB has the 95's so there is another level of intrigue there given the higher launch they are supposed to provide than the 110's and 125's, it makes me (like Chunky) wonder how a progressive set would perform.

You bet buddy, my bag is your bag, and anyone else's at the outing for that matter.

I love the flight I'm getting with the long and mid irons but the 9-aw are at times a little higher then I like so I've been pondering getting F5 125's for those clubs to bring the flight down a little.
Overall the flight of the short irons is something I can deal with and is only a problem in strong winds so I'm kind of scared to venture into the unknown of mixing shafts.

Nice Jman, looking forward to your reviews as well. I will have to try a few swings at Vegas. Darn that trip might cost me more money than I thought.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

You got it dude, swing away!

Todays round was once again intriguing. I will have a full write up about these soon, have to get my thoughts together on a few shots I hit, but all in all, I like what I saw. A lot coming soon, as I hit every club in the bag that had this shaft in them.

Got the ferrules set, now for an acetone wipedown then install!

gyqudegy.jpg

Looking good Jman. Really looking forward to seeing what all the fuss is about first hand here in a few days.

Looking good Jman. Really looking forward to seeing what all the fuss is about first hand here in a few days.

You and me both. Hopefully I get out with them at least once before the outing! :bulgy-eyes:

The 4-PW are now curing in the corner and the plan now is to grip these up tomorrow, or at least 4 of them (I'm waiting on more Niion's to come in, better be here by Tuesday!) and get a bucket at the range.

All that's left is to get some more acetone and turn down the ferrules a bit. I'll reiterate what has been said before, I can't get over just how much this finish makes them look like steel when installed. I'm betting when my buddies grab them and hit them they'll not realize it until I tell them. Just so slick.

DSC_0162_zpse238f72d.jpg

DSC_0165_zps66d52c51.jpg

DSC_0173_zps52f7d22b.jpg

DSC_0172_zps7032112f.jpg

007e79b9-5b5c-4794-98dd-bebfeacd83b8_zps93338ef5.jpg

DSC_0168_zpsa7edf364.jpg

Looking good Jman! Can't wait to hear how well you liked them when you get them out and take some swings.

Very good looking setup there Jman. Out of curiosity, where do you get your ferrules from?

Looking good Jman! Can't wait to hear how well you liked them when you get them out and take some swings.

Thanks buddy. They LOOK phenomenal in the J40's. I can't wait to actually get out and hit them, sadly its not looking good for getting out before I leave for the outing. With the Doc on nights and me leaving Wednesday I know that I probably should just come home and see her before she goes to work Mon/Tues.

That said, I've been swinging the 9i in the yard and the feel is...definitely something unlike I've personally experienced in iron shafts. Hard to get more into it than that without hitting some balls with them, but I'm even more eager to do just that now.

Very good looking setup there Jman. Out of curiosity, where do you get your ferrules from?

cell-parts.net

I won't use anyone else for ferrules, more than worth the cost IMO, crazy good quality. Thanks for the words, they'll definitely be hard to miss out there! haha

Jman those look absolutely incredible! I can't wait to hear your thoughts on them.

Oh my goodness, those look phenomenal!! Great club work James, really looking forward to hitting these man.

Jman those look absolutely incredible! I can't wait to hear your thoughts on them.

I'm eager, hell I think I've read through this testing twice this past week.

Oh my goodness, those look phenomenal!! Great club work James, really looking forward to hitting these man.

Came out pretty slick didn't they? We will DEFINITELY be putting these through their paces this week, will be good to get some feedback from everyone as well as my own.

Those looks awesome. And I applaud you for being able to do the work yourself. I'm scared to death of doing anything more than a grip change. I'm envisioning a head flying off and splashing in a water hazard if I were to attempt it.

Spent a lot of time today with these, practicing the Pelz method. I am absolutely loving the feel of the release of these shafts on the less than full swings. It really feels like you smash into the ball. This is very helpful with the 7:30 and 9:00 swings as it sometimes will feel like you need to do something more when you take those short swings. Not with these shafts though.

I put some very nice patterns out there especially with my PW. I am anxious to hear if JB and Jman feel the same release on the half shots

All I know Chunky is that having spent about an hour in the yard taking swings with the 7, 8, and PW (and possibly hitting a PW over the neighbors and into the woods....possibly) the word stable immediately comes to mind. Also, they feel head heavy from a swing weight standpoint, which I really like.

I need to hit some golf balls!!!! UGH!!

The old sailing the shot over the neighbors house test? Can't believe I forgot to do that.

The old sailing the shot over the neighbors house test? Can't believe I forgot to do that.

Not my brightest idea, I couldn't resist though....

Man that shaft looks good Jman! Can't wait to see them in person!

This shaft can be summed up for me in this sentence. A steel alternative that looks, acts and sounds similar, but offers the benefits of graphite more than just about any shaft before it. No longer should it be viewed as graphite vs steel, but with some of these new offerings such as the Recoils, it should be looked upon as graphite and steel.

The Recoils perform as one would expect. Incredibly well. They do not look like a graphite shaft. They certainly do not feel like a graphite shaft. And lastly they certainly do not perform like how many believe a graphite shaft performs. They offer a lower ball flight than most, coupled with heavier weights to assist players in making the transition.

As many know, I recently switched to graphite shafts for a myriad of reasons, most notably, my body is not holding up in areas and graphite has made it more "copeable (not a real word)" by a pretty large margin. My iron switch led me to a standard option which was light weight and I enjoyed tremendously. The next step was the Miyazaki C. Kua iron shafts that were also light weight and brought the ball flight down a tiny bit, and was also enjoyed tremendously. My heart told me to try something like this and when I got the chance I jumped at it. I put the 95 F4 series in my irons and the rest is history (not really).

Have two range sessions and a round of golf in with them and I like what I am seeing. The ball flight has definitely come down and they feel as though I am playing steel shafts, yet after the round, have no issues with pain. Something I was nervous about as wait went up. I am playing again today and will have more info about the performance after a few more rounds, but so far, I am intrigued more than anything.

Do I like them more than the others? Not sure as of yet. They are definitely more stable and without a doubt launch the ball a bit lower. So they seem to do exactly what they say they do, and if that is desired, it would be hard pressed to find a better shaft out there than this.

More coming soon...

Back