Android Phone Thread

Quick question for you guys? My wife and I got grandfathered into the unlimited plan with Verizon (awesome) and I was able to get the S3 RIGHT before the Sharing BS switch, so I'M good. However, my wife has an old Samsaung Charge that's crapping out on her. I'm wanting to get her either and S3 (probably) or S4, but since we can't buy at discount because they will then FORCE us into the share BS, where would I go to get her a phone? Can I just buy and unlocked S3 or S4 from anyone and it will plug and play with Verizon, or am I S.O.L. and have to buy it for a HUGE price from Verizon at full retail?

Thanks guys!

James

Quick question for you guys? My wife and I got grandfathered into the unlimited plan with Verizon (awesome) and I was able to get the S3 RIGHT before the Sharing BS switch, so I'M good. However, my wife has an old Samsaung Charge that's crapping out on her. I'm wanting to get her either and S3 (probably) or S4, but since we can't buy at discount because they will then FORCE us into the share BS, where would I go to get her a phone? Can I just buy and unlocked S3 or S4 from anyone and it will plug and play with Verizon, or am I S.O.L. and have to buy it for a HUGE price from Verizon at full retail?

Thanks guys!

James

Swappa.com has tons of Verizon phones. I have also had luck on Craigslist but use with caution.

Swappa.com has tons of Verizon phones. I have also had luck on Craigslist but use with caution.

Thanks Crest4. Have you had good luck on Swappa? I've never heard of that site and buys used is fine with me, just need to make sure my wife is ok with it as well. I don't see why it wouldn't be espically since using PayPal, it's a protected purchase and all.

James

Thanks guys!

James

As long as you dont use the upgrade on your acct, ie buy a phone at full price or one of CL, Ebay, Swappa. You should be fine.

You just pop your Sim Card in and go or go to the store and do an ESN change.

EDIT: Swappa is great, ive bought a phone on there and with paypal, its very smooth.

As long as you dont use the upgrade on your acct, ie buy a phone at full price or one of CL, Ebay, Swappa. You should be fine.

EDIT: Swappa is great, ive bought a phone on there and with paypal, its very smooth.

Verizon doesn't use SIM cards

Verizon doesn't use SIM cards
Yes they do. 4G LTE requires a SIM card. For 4G devices, all you have to do is pop in your Sim card and you are good to go.

I had to get a replacement phone a few weeks ago. It arrived, I took the Sim out of my old S3, popped it in the new one, turned it on and it auto-activated.

Just making sure I understand correctly.

All I'll have to do is take the SIM card out of my wifes old phone and pop it into the new from from Swappa (for example) and it should work, just fine? I won't have to call and activate anything?

Yes they do. 4G LTE requires a SIM card. For 4G devices, all you have to do is pop in your Sim card and you are good to go.

I had to get a replacement phone a few weeks ago. It arrived, I took the Sim out of my old S3, popped it in the new one, turned it on and it auto-activated.

That's interesting, I wasn't aware that that had changed for 4G.

All I'll have to do is take the SIM card out of my wifes old phone and pop it into the new from from Swappa (for example) and it should work, just fine? I won't have to call and activate anything?

She wont have a sim card since its not a 4G device. You will have to go into the store or call in and hsve then swap the ESN numbers

If you get the SIM card you can do it all online yourself. I don't even other with the store any more for anything haha

She wont have a sim card since its not a 4G device. You will have to go into the store or call in and hsve then swap the ESN numbers

If you get the SIM card you can do it all online yourself. I don't even other with the store any more for anything haha

It IS a 4G device, it was one of the 1st they ever had with Verizon actually, and has a SIM card. So it should just be a plug and play set up then...so that's good.

Yes to plug & play..I did read some on swappa & think it has some safe guards. . Like using PayPal & they check sellers esn #s

tap'n from my big as Note2

Yes, unless the new phone takes one of the smaller 4G cards, in which case you would just have to go into the store and ask for one.

Which is likely if her phone was one of the first 4G phones, the newer s3 ect take a micro sim.

Yes, unless the new phone takes one of the smaller 4G cards, in which case you would just have to go into the store and ask for one.

Which is likely if her phone was one of the first 4G phones, the newer s3 ect take a micro sim.

Good to know...does it cost anything to do that? Or do you know?

Sent from my Samsug Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

Wife purchased a S3 off of Swappa...saved me some money, so that's good! More for golf now! (I wish) Anyway...thanks for the suggestions and help guys! Hopefully all she has to do is just swap the SIM card and not have to go and get a new card for it.

Wife purchased a S3 off of Swappa...saved me some money, so that's good! More for golf now! (I wish) Anyway...thanks for the suggestions and help guys! Hopefully all she has to do is just swap the SIM card and not have to go and get a new card for it.

Glad it all worked out for you, did you get the SIM card in yet?

Glad it all worked out for you, did you get the SIM card in yet?

Not yet...phone should be here tomorrow. If I get a chance I'll run down to the Verizon store and grab the smaller SIM card for her...if they will let me.

Anyone with a S3, I highly recommend the Samsung 3000mah battery from mobile fun. The price is a little high but for the minimal bulk it adds, its totally worth it. With the extended battery cover that it came with, it is the same thickness in a UAG case.

With GNow turned on: 19-20hrs with 4-5hrs screen on time

With GNow turned off: 24-32hrs with 5+ hrs screen time.

I normally charge at the 15% so I haven't really found the actual discharge time, but this has been plenty enough to get me through the day and then some. Only takes 2.5hrs to get back to full from 15%.

***Tappin in cuz I #SeeMore***

Hi guys I just picked up the S3 and I love it. The screenresolution just blows me away, what a picture. Any add-ons or apps I should really tie into im kinda jumping all over the place with my new toy,I cant keep my hands off of it!

Hi guys I just picked up the S3 and I love it. The screenresolution just blows me away, what a picture. Any add-ons or apps I should really tie into im kinda jumping all over the place with my new toy,I cant keep my hands off of it!

Nice glad that you are happy with your phone. I would spend some time reading through this thread it has quite a bit of information that is well worth the time to read.

So the phone I got for my wife off of Swappa came. It was everything he said it would be. The guy rooted it with 4.2.2 Liquid Smooth OS. I'm not a super techy andriod guy and this OS is a bit much for me. It has some sweet stuff and not having Verizon's stuff pushed on it is kind of nice. My wife loves the phone, but is thinking about re-setting it back to factory as she can't figure it all out. I told her to keep it as is, try to get use to it and see if she ends up liking it. Great phone for $330...basically brand new. Waaaaay cheeper than Amazon for $450+ with bloat wear from Verizon.

So the phone I got for my wife off of Swappa came. It was everything he said it would be. The guy rooted it with 4.2.2 Liquid Smooth OS. I'm not a super techy andriod guy and this OS is a bit much for me. It has some sweet stuff and not having Verizon's stuff pushed on it is kind of nice. My wife loves the phone, but is thinking about re-setting it back to factory as she can't figure it all out. I told her to keep it as is, try to get use to it and see if she ends up liking it. Great phone for $330...basically brand new. Waaaaay cheeper than Amazon for $450+ with bloat wear from Verizon.

Are you familiar with how to reflash the stock Verizon rom using Odin? With a custom rom on it like Liquid Smooth, a simple reset in the settings will not put it back to stock factory settings.

With a custom OS on it, the Verizon software has been deleted, and is no longer associated with the phone.

You can always go back to the stock ROM if you want also you would just have to take a little time and do some research to figure out how to do it. YouTube is a great resource because it is very likely that people have already had the same questions that you do and shot a video about it.

On another note Liquid Smooth is very respected ROM and I have used it on 2 different phones and really enjoyed it. I would say to keep using the phone and try and get comfortable with it before you change. Liquid has tons of features built into there ROMs.

Good luck.

You can always go back to the stock ROM if you want also you would just have to take a little time and do some research to figure out how to do it. YouTube is a great resource because it is very likely that people have already had the same questions that you do and shot a video about it.

On another note Liquid Smooth is very respected ROM and I have used it on 2 different phones and really enjoyed it. I would say to keep using the phone and try and get comfortable with it before you change. Liquid has tons of features built into there ROMs.

Good luck.

That's more or less what I told my wife. I think she'll end up sticking with it. Plus, I'm not super tech savy when it comes to flashing back a ROM or something like that. I could probably do it with the right instructions/video like you mention, but it's all good. She's enjoying it and if she starts complaining about it...then I'll look into it more. Thanks for all the help guys I appreciate it. :thumbup:

Back