Android Phone Thread

bonknhead

Reaction score
Handicap
I saw the iPhone thread and at least one other thread asking about what phone to get next, so thought I should start yet another mobile phone thread. :D

I just got an HTC EVO. I think it's an awesome phone - much better than my old Palm Treo Pro on WM 6.1. The only gripe I have is battery life, but there are lots of solutions for that, from extended batteries to better app management.

My EVO is on Android 2.2 so it's on the most current general-released platform. I've seen quite a few lists of "must have" Android apps. So far, I've only installed Google Shopper, Sound Hound, Pandora and of course Angry Birds. What are other "must haves"?

-Golf Channel
-Advance Task Killer
-Ebay
-Paypal
-Tapatalk (that way you can THP on the fly!)

I love my EVO bonk. Was with IPhone for a while, went back to Blackberry, and now with the EVO, I found my phone. It is everything I thought my Iphone was going to be. Here are a few programs that are on my phone.

Tapatalk - Only paid app I have. Truly the best I have used.
ESPN Scorecenter - Name might be off, but its a good one.
Linkedin - Beta, but works great
CamCard Lite - Scanner of biz cards and the only one I have found that works well.
ShopSavvy - Lots of apps like this, but to me this one is the best at comparing prices. Just bought a Dyson Vacuum 2 days ago, and the thing saved us $60 by telling us a different store 50 feet from us had it cheaper.
GolfChannel - Solid for leaderboards
SiriusXM - If you use satellite radio, its worth the $2.99 extra a month for this service.
Rockplayer - Best video player I have found
Flixster - Great movie app with tix, trailers, reviews, and more
tv.com - Great when stuck somewhere.
Opentable - Love it for reservations.
GeoQpons - Tells me anything on sale near me and gas prices. Works great.

Thanks TC and JB - I'll check those apps out. What I'm really missing going from WM to Android is Outlook Notes. I use them all the time at work, and they don't sync - only Outlook's email, contacts and calendar do. I've found a couple of Notes apps but they don't sync wirelessly.

Has anyone gone from the iphone to an android phone? I am trying to decide between either iphone or android. Not interested in Blackberry. Everyone seems to have a strong opinion. Based on experience has going to Android been good or do you miss the iphone? I heard the GPS on Samsung Galaxy or Vibrant are bad. I am worried about getting around PGA National. So then I think i should get the iphone based on their gps.

Has anyone gone from the iphone to an android phone? I am trying to decide between either iphone or android. Not interested in Blackberry. Everyone seems to have a strong opinion. Based on experience has going to Android been good or do you miss the iphone? I heard the GPS on Samsung Galaxy or Vibrant are bad. I am worried about getting around PGA National. So then I think i should get the iphone based on their gps.

Read 2 posts above yours and I said this exact thing. :act-up:

ADW launcher its real nice and you can customize your home screen and launcher.
Barcode Scanner
Handcent a better sms texting app.
Dialer One just a different dialer
AppBRAIN is a must. Its fantastic it allows you to pick apps online and install them
Easy score card
Skydroid
V1 Golf (have not tried it
Yahoo score center
Ohh and Word Feud.. its addictive its scrabble with just random people

I love my EVO bonk. Was with IPhone for a while, went back to Blackberry, and now with the EVO, I found my phone. It is everything I thought my Iphone was going to be. Here are a few programs that are on my phone.

Tapatalk - Only paid app I have. Truly the best I have used.
ESPN Scorecenter - Name might be off, but its a good one.
Linkedin - Beta, but works great
CamCard Lite - Scanner of biz cards and the only one I have found that works well.
ShopSavvy - Lots of apps like this, but to me this one is the best at comparing prices. Just bought a Dyson Vacuum 2 days ago, and the thing saved us $60 by telling us a different store 50 feet from us had it cheaper.
GolfChannel - Solid for leaderboards
SiriusXM - If you use satellite radio, its worth the $2.99 extra a month for this service.
Rockplayer - Best video player I have found
Flixster - Great movie app with tix, trailers, reviews, and more
tv.com - Great when stuck somewhere.
Opentable - Love it for reservations.
GeoQpons - Tells me anything on sale near me and gas prices. Works great.

JB, why did you not stick with iphone?

The phone itself was the issue for me. I liked the Iphone quite a bit, but it was just missing some features and I am not a huge fan of AT&T. I also have more faith in Google with updates than I do with Apple. Im a Mac user, so its not bias or anything, and I liked my phone, but certain things that are built in are just better for me. Such as google Maps (android version is insane). Talk to txt built right in works flawlessly. The app I had for that with my IPhone was buggy at best.

JB has had just about every new phone that has come on the market. And after less than a month he would go right back to the blackberry because no one could do email like they do. The android phone he has now still isn't a blackberry when it comes to emails but it works well enough that he hasn't changed back and it's been several months now. With k-9 mail you shouldn't have any email issues.

I think Android, iPhone, and Blackberry all have their place and advantages. iPhone is going to work 'out of the box' with little need to tinkering, but it will work they Apple tell you to use it without much choice. If you like configuring in and customizing then Android is a lot more flexible. BB apparently great for MS exchange/server integration and also popular with kids for the messenger. For me the Android intergration with google made it best for me. The gmail app is amazing, and the maps/navagation apps run as smooth as silk for me.

My must-have apps:
Gmail
Maps & Navagation
Network switcher (saves power & data; switches from 3g-wifi-off depend on location, time, status, etc)
Data counter widget
App Locker Pro
Call confirm
WebSharingLite (access sd card through browser wirelessly)
SMS backup (backs up text messages to my gmail account)
Widget Locker (widgets on lockscreen)
Tunein Radio
AudioGalaxy (stream mp3's from home computer)
Brightness widget
Aldiko ereader (best so far but still looking)
Flash
Barcode scanner

Needless to say I went a little nuts downloading...

With the update to Froyo 2.2 Im thinking of getting this monster:

dell_streak_blog_2.jpg

That phone needs it's own entourage it's so big!

A Nexus one user here, unlocked. Dearly love this phone but to be fair, I use it as a mobile computer more then a phone.

That phone needs it's own entourage it's so big!

A Nexus one user here, unlocked. Dearly love this phone but to be fair, I use it as a mobile computer more then a phone.

I know, its like a Tabla-Phone. Android has so much more going for it then iOS, imo.

I've had a Droid Incredible since last April or May. I love it, but am kinda pissed that I can't upgrade to a new Android phone until December of this year. Thanks, Verizon.

My favorite apps:
Android Agenda Widget
3 (cubed, the music player)
Angry Birds
Google Goggles (does what Barcode Scanner does plus about 1000 things it doesn't)
Catch (notepad app)
Dolphin HD Browser
eBay
EStrong's File Explorer (Astro is fine too)
ESPN Radio (pay, I think, but I find the podcast listening ability worth it)
Folder Organizer
GolfChannel
Handcent SMS
IMDB
Meebo IM
Nesoid (NES Emulator... 80's gaming, baby!)
Retro Camera
SportsTap

Looking at a HTC Desire HD at the moment. Need something I can blog and tweet from when out on tournaments.

Has anyone found any good email apps for the android? I have been using MailDroid. I find even when I check my email, mark it as read it still alerts me I have email.

Has anyone found any good email apps for the android? I have been using MailDroid. I find even when I check my email, mark it as read it still alerts me I have email.

K-9 Mail is the best there is. Almost as good as my blackberry was.

K-9 Mail is the best there is. Almost as good as my blackberry was.

The K - 9 mail that I installed says: "Please note the K-9 does not support most free hotmail accounts and like many clients has some quirks when talking talking to Microsoft Exchange" can you use this for Yahoo accounts?

The K - 9 mail that I installed says: "Please note the K-9 does not support most free hotmail accounts and like many clients has some quirks when talking talking to Microsoft Exchange" can you use this for Yahoo accounts?

I dont use those accounts, so I cannot help you with that.

Verizon offers the restock for 35 bucks within a month of upgrading, so I took a shot with the droid 2 Global. Had to have an external keyboard, so basically all of the touch keyboard phones were 'out'. 20 days of fighting battery life, I made the switch to the blackberry bold and I couldn't be happier.

While the features on the Android system are awesome, until they can find a phone that I can use for more than 8 hours without having to plug it in I won't be a part of it. Had the Droid Eris for over a year prior to the droid, but again, battery life was simply a giant trainwreck.

I've heard some of the touch keyboard models hosting android are awesome though. Just stay the heck away from the droid 2 global!!

I had an iPhone 4 for about a week and hated it. I switched to the Samsung captivate that's an android and couldn't be happier. I'm about to swap up though to either the galaxy sII or the Samsung infuse. They both have larger screens and better cam with flash. What can I say? I'm a gadget nut!

N1 user since it hit the market,btw all n1's were unlocked but my faves are

1.beautiful widgets/weather app
2.handcent/sms replacement
3.k9/email client
4.rom gripper/plays dang near any nes/snes/gameboy etc game.
5.music junk/download all the free er stolen songs you want
6.my battery status
7.the coupons app
8.flikie wallpapers/hd wallpapers
9.history eraser/erases market searches and other crap
10.pandora,slacker,tune in /music
11.movies
12.titanium backup rooted users only
13.usa today
14.weatherbug -I use for extended forecast
15.golfshot and skydroid
16. launcher pro plus
17.ringdroid/ringtone maker

also of note never use task killers on android,it isn't needed and will make things worst
and one last thing,root your phone to get everything your phone has to give

Back