TaylorMade R1 Driver Review - Forum Testing Thread

I have to hit this with the b.asha in it to get the sensation! Just like a peppermint patty

Come see me on the range next weekend. I really like the combo.

Come see me on the range next weekend. I really like the combo.
I will for sure. But that has a nice ring to it.... Come see me on the range NEXT WEEKEND!

Not sure I'll get that chance. more than anything the feel of the club is what I didn't care for. I didn't like the r11 or r11s either.
I felt the same way with the stock R1. But there IS a significant difference in feel and performance with the TP model. I can't impress on you enough how you need to try the TP model before you write off the club entirely. The two are very different.

I hit the R1 at a demo day yesterday and was fairly impressed. I am the first to admit that I don't get fooled by the fancy TM marketing hype but the clubs really do walk the walk. I was hitting it against my Cleveland Classic 290 and was consistently straighter and roughly the same distance. It was quite interesting that I was averaging a SS of 106MPH with the Cleveland but the smash factor was rarely higher than 1.4. The R1 SS was 102MPH but the smash was consistently above 1.45 and usually 1.48-49. The only complaint over the R1 was the sound. I really don't think I could game it because of the noise it makes at contact. I don't mind a loud driver but this is ear piercing. My ears were actually ringing after each shot.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a driver similar to the R1 without the ear piercing noise? I love my Classic but I think the lightness of it is costing me. It is great on a middled shot but I just find the face quite difficult to get along with.

I had my 3rd round with the R1 today, and I'm a very happy camper. After going through this spring having trouble getting past the 210-220 range due to popups and general suckiness, I hit 4 drives in the 240-260 range today. I only hit 7 of 14 fairways today, but 2 were through the fairway and most of the others were just a few steps off the fairway. I demoed the R1 outside before buying set at 12* and N face setting and that worked pretty well at the time and the shop set my R1 this way out the door. The first round with the R1, I hit it pretty well, but was all over the place mostly due to some experimentation with some different swing triggers and thoughts on the course. I know, golf isn't hard enough as is and I have to invent ways to make the game harder. During round 2, a cool and very windy day, I decided to open up the face angle a notch to make the face less closed and saw much more consistent results. Today, I had one more adjustment thought. The R1 face is a little deeper than my previous driver where I just barely stuck a 2 7/8" tee in the ground. Today, I went with 3 1/8" tees and teed it up a little higher. The first hole, with hardly any warmup (thank goodness it was in the low 80s), I hit a bullet 240-245 down the middle of the fairway. Maybe I have the R1 figured out and dialed in, and the popups are gone. I think the half-inch shorter shaft has really helped me in the popup area. I can finally hit irons and wedges again instead of hybrids.

I am confused by the open setting with the higher lofts. I would think the open setting would promote a fade. Do the higher lofts create a naturally closed face that needs to be offset with an open setting?

12* loft = 4* closed
11.25 loft = 2.6 closed
10* loft = neutral face
9.5* loft = 1.3* open
Yes, open the setting for the higher lofts to get the face back to square when club is at address.
Extremely helpful. Thank you.

I felt the same way with the stock R1. But there IS a significant difference in feel and performance with the TP model. I can't impress on you enough how you need to try the TP model before you write off the club entirely. The two are very different.

I will give the TP a shot next time I'm in the store to see how it compares.

Glad to see so many people finding this thread helpful. This driver is legit for sure.

I got to play about 36 holes yesterday with this driver for the first time and must say I was very impressed. I love having the adjustability factors with this driver. I was having trouble hooking it a little too much at first so I switched the ten gram weight to the toe and this really helped to straighten out my ball flight. Played with all the different settings and it is just so cool that you can manipulate your ball flight so much with just a twist of the wrench. I was set on getting an Amp cell but yesterday might have changed my mind. I am so torn right now.

Concentrate on impact

Concentrate on impact

I'm now an 11 hdcp player who has struggled with driver for years. Bought the R1 because every other club in my bag is TM. Figured with the infinite adjustments it would fit me from year to year. I will admit I have had 2 lessons already this year. The weight and solid feel of impact of the R1 is so great to me. I just try to concentrate on hitting the ball in the sweet spot with a nice easy swing and it just goes long and straight. 20 yards further for me than I have hit driver in the past. I NEVER could hit a draw with driver and I have even seen a baby draw at times giving me even a little extra length.

After seeing the info about lofts and face angles I adjusted to 12* and 2* open. At first I had a tee that was pretty low and I was missing some too low on the face. I adjusted to a taller tee and started hitting nice balls. I still wouldn't say this is the longest driver I have ever seen but dang is it accurate. I was flying the ball about 235, which is normal to good for me. But misses were pretty tight, most likely would have been at the edge of the fairways and many were straight as an arrow, one after another.

Last edited:
After seeing the info about lofts and face angles I adjusted to 12* and 2* open. At first i ad a tee that wa pretty low nd i was missing some too los on the face. i adjusted to a taller tee and started hitting nice balls. I still wouldn't say this is the longest driver I have ever seen but dang is it accurate. I was flying the ball about 235, which is normal to good for me. But misses were pretty tight, most likely would have been at the edge of the fairways and many were straight as an arrow, one after another.

Way to go, tequila! It sounds like you're getting the R1 dialed in.
My short game was crap today, but I'm really enjoying the R1. I hit the longest drive that I ever remember on the 6th hole of the U of I Blue course today. Granted I had a 10-15 mph wind behind me, but I only had 130 yds left on this 410 par 4. This is quite long for me.

Thanks, illinimike!

It is an interesting phenomena on a few levels. The grass really is greener...I have had longer drivers and longed for something more accurate. Now that I apparently have it I want the distance. :) Also, TM seems to always get a bad rap for marketing the added distance of their clubs but here we have a club that goes against the grain and TM doesn't get any credit for that or for producing a fairway finder.

I am curious to see how things go with the B Asha pull. I have had some hiccups getting this together but hope to finally have it in place by early next week. I am hoping the more active tip, extra SS and mid flight trajectory profile will equal more distance with at least equal accuracy. TBD.

Hit a R1 TP with a Motore Speeder 6.2 and this club feels real solid. I was making great contact and although just hitting into a net would love to demo it outside. I'm more than happy with my 913, but still wouldn't mind takin the R1 to the range or the course and trying it out.

Hit a R1 TP with a Motore Speeder 6.2 and this club feels real solid. I was making great contact and although just hitting into a net would love to demo it outside. I'm more than happy with my 913, but still wouldn't mind takin the R1 to the range or the course and trying it out.

I will admit. I hit the R1 once at a THP outing backbin December and could not take a liking to this driver at ALL!!

Fast Forward 5 months...today I spent some time at the PGA SS and in the TM fitting booth. Prior to that I tried 913, TEE Xcg5 and Cobra Amp Cell. Out of those 3 the amp cell to my surprise, (I know I shouldn't be with all the love on here for that driver), was the most accurate for me and produced the best ball speed (158mph).

Now back to the TM booth and in comes the TM rep and we chit chat about design and geeky tech stuff (loved every minute of it). Started with some different shafts to get a feel for what I liked the best and what felt the best. The Speeder 6.2 TS was the winner with the Fujikura Fuel and VTS Silver close behind. After a few swings I started crushing this thing. Ball speeds were well into the 160mph range and with a few swing changes could easily tickle the 170's. The feel of this head and shaft combo when all cylinders were firing was amazing. Settled on the 10* setting, 10g weight in the heel and 1 degree closed. Pondering has begun!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I cranked mine up to 12* (I thought I had it at 10.5, but it was 11) and went 2 clicks open (to compensate for being more closed at higher loft) instead of 1 click closed. I did see a noticable difference in flight, higher but still not too high. And my straight shots weren't as far right, with it closed my straight shots were hugging the right side (I'm a lefty). Pretty much went where I aimed it, so good. Strange range that you hit into/through a little valley, and we were dead into a 15-20mph wind there today, so it was tough to judge distance exactly, but I was getting it well out there.

Long weekend up here, and I have a deep job jar (house is sold, gotta clean up and pack, and find new digs), but hoping maybe to get out Monday and give it some live action on a course.

R1 = Justin Beiber.
Me = pimply faced pre-teen girl.

I finally got the B Asha in the R1. I ended up cutting about 5/8" off the tip which stiffened it up just a touch. Maybe it turns out to be a one day wonder but I had the best driving day I remember; I am very happy with the combo. Fairway finder galore. I actually had confidence on the tee with a driver...wow.

That's funny.

Glad to hear your tinkering paid off!

This driver really just works for me. I hit several bombs with it this weekend at the outing. Distance is no issue, consistency is decent. When I miss its always a faulty Indian and not the arrow.

Apologies in advance for the length of this report but I wanted to give some details to explain the accuracy I was seeing with the R1 instead of just saying it is a fairway finder:

#4 – 386 yard par 4, uphill. Trees right. My normal result is to block it right, ending up in the trees or next fairway with an obstructed shot. On the rare occasions I find the fairway I am usually well short of the 150 yard marker, which is at the crest of the uphill fairway. My result yesterday: beautiful drive about 10 yards left and 8 yards past the 150 marker. I’m pretty sure the best drive I’ve ever had on this hole.

#5 – 375 yard par 4, downhill. Trees and bunkering right. (my normal location). My result yesterday: a pull left, with the ball ending up about 5 yards off the fairway. Very playable.

#7 – 589 yard par 5, number 1 rated hole on the course (and for good reason). Hit it left and you make an already stupid long hole even longer (2[SUP]nd[/SUP] shot has to carry a lake). Hit it right and you are dead in trees protecting a dog log, forcing a punch out 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] shot. My result yesterday: I aimed for the middle and blocked it right. But instead of going into the trees it carried the corner and bounded up to the furthest edge of the lake. Easily the best drive I’ve ever had on this hole. That was a major R1 gift.

#9 – 468 yard par 5, dog left right protected by trees. My normal result is to block it right into the trees. My result yesterday: slight block, but the ball stayed on line instead of fading, allowing it to stay directly down the left side of the trees. The ball ended up just at the right edge of the fairway. That was an R1 gift.

#13 - 391 yard par 4. Water down the left side, mounded rough down the right side. My normal result is to push/block it right into the mounding leaving myself a very difficult lie and virtually impossible to get home in two. My result yesterday: I could feel that I hit it way off the toe. The ball started down the right side then gently started drawing left and ended up about 8 yards left / past the 150 yard marker in the middle of the fairway. One of the better results off the tee on this hole ever for me. That was an R1 gift.

#15 – 427 yard par 4. Water right, protecting a dog leg (basically impossible to hit over). OB / houses left. Number 2 rated hole on the course. My normal result is to block it into the water or yank it left, basically making the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] shot so long that it approaches impossible for me to get home in regulation. My result yesterday: high and straight as an arrow, ball ended up about 8 yards past the 150 marker right in the middle of the fairway. (the tee is elevated and there was wind at the back so driver distance on this one is misleading)

#17 – See #9.

I put affirmatively very bad swings on the ball twice on other holes. One time that put me in trouble, the other time I got lucky to stay left of the trees and have a shot.

I am a pretty poor driver of the ball. This was the best day off the tee I can remember. For the first time maybe ever, I didn’t pull the 3W from the bag.

It can not be said enough, if your miss is off the toe, this thing is crazy deep. Every shot I have hit off the toe with a decent swing has launched, almost as long as if it had been pured.

R1 = Justin Beiber.

I finally got the B Asha in the R1. I ended up cutting about 5/8" off the tip which stiffened it up just a touch. Maybe it turns out to be a one day wonder but I had the best driving day I remember; I am very happy with the combo. Fairway finder galore. I actually had confidence on the tee with a driver...wow.

Not that the stock shaft was bad, but I have found even better performance for me with the Miyazaki Kusala Blue in the R1. I've put together two very nice driving rounds the last two appearances with the combo, and the distances are out equal to the best spots I've put balls in the few years I have played this course. With this shaft in play, I could probably stand to do some more tinkering with settings to see if I could lose the slight fade, but that's easy enough to do.

R1 = Justin Beiber.

Can't wait to get mine out on the course. Just got my B Asha the mail. Have a round planned tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back