TaylorMade R1 Driver Review - Forum Testing Thread

Not that the stock shaft was bad, but I have found even better performance for me with the Miyazaki Kusala Blue in the R1. I've put together two very nice driving rounds the last two appearances with the combo, and the distances are out equal to the best spots I've put balls in the few years I have played this course. With this shaft in play, I could probably stand to do some more tinkering with settings to see if I could lose the slight fade, but that's easy enough to do.

I agree with your characterization of the stock shaft - not bad at all. I just like the responsiveness and feel of the Miya much better. I don't know that I was seeing any extra difference in distance.

Can't wait to get mine out on the course. Just got my B Asha the mail. Have a round planned tomorrow.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Excellent! I look forward to reading about your experience with it.

I agree with your characterization of the stock shaft - not bad at all. I just like the responsiveness and feel of the Miya much better. I don't know that I was seeing any extra difference in distance.

I have seen a very similar phenomenon with a couple driver heads in the past couple of years. Everyone is getting better for the most part with their stock shafts, but there is nothing like getting a shaft in them that fits you the way only an aftermarket can (due to the sheer number of options).

Tequila, great report on your R1'a maiden voyage with the B Asha shaft. Did you go with the B Asha 4 or 5?

It can not be said enough, if your miss is off the toe, this thing is crazy deep. Every shot I have hit off the toe with a decent swing has launched, almost as long as if it had been pured.

Completely agree with this, any decent swing with a miss on the toe just flies and self-corrects. Also, I'm noticing the same sort of results on slight pushes the Tequila reported. The R1 says, " I know you didn't really mean to push this drive a bit so I got your back." I had my 6th round with the R1 today, and despite crazy 30 MPH winds, I only missed 3 fairways and went though the middle of the green of a short (275 yes) par 4.

Tequila, great report on your R1'a maiden voyage with the B Asha shaft. Did you go with the B Asha 4 or 5?

Thanks! I went with 4R. I had a hiccup with the first sleeve, which was an after market product. It broke during the first range session. Lesson learned, second sleeve was a real deal product. The shaft was too long anyway (again, lesson learned) so I had the sleeve cut off; the good folks at Miya were very helpful with info about how much could be cut and how it would impact the shaft's characteristics.

So after 2 full rounds with this thing. I am in love with it! I can not say anything better than what has been said. Best product this year for sure.

I had the pleasure to watch T2GRN18 born his R1 two days straight at the outing. He kills this driver a country mile! I hit it a couple times on the range and was impressed to say the least. Not T2GRN long but respectable for me. I seriously like this driver.

Well boys something beautiful came in the mail today!

I have some serious reading to do!

vehy2u9a.jpg

Well boys something beautiful came in the mail today!

I have some serious reading to do!

vehy2u9a.jpg

Glad to see yours came in right hahaha

Glad to see yours came in right hahaha

Oh no man! That sucks I told you to stand on the other side of the ball dude. Hahaha

That's awesome Crest. Get it dialed in and throw away the wrench. Once it's locked in its amazing

That's awesome Crest. Get it dialed in and throw away the wrench. Once it's locked in its amazing

Thanks for the tip man. Yeah I am going to the range tomorrow no doubt!

I had the pleasure to watch T2GRN18 born his R1 two days straight at the outing. He kills this driver a country mile! I hit it a couple times on the range and was impressed to say the least. Not T2GRN long but respectable for me. I seriously like this driver.
I don't know OG the driver you were using Sunday seemed to be pretty darn good. I'm not sure you ever missed with that. That dog will hunt partner

So upon further examination I noticed that there is a loft setting for 9.5 and 9.5 U? and 10.5 U? what does that setting mean?

So upon further examination I noticed that there is a loft setting for 9.5 and 9.5 U? and 10.5 U? what does that setting mean?
The U is for those that like it upright

Upright. If you remove the shaft you will see that the tip of the sleeve has a very mild arc in it. I thought it was broken and called TM customer service, who explained that's what creates the upright settings.

Well I got this bad boy out on the range today and Wow! My current driver is 10.5 Stiff so I decided to leave the loft at 10.5 on the R1 but adjust the face angle to 1* closed just to start with something. I really enjoyed the club at address and I also noticed that it seems a bit shorter than my current gamer which I actually enjoy( I will have to confirm this later) also the sounds this club makes when you catch one reminds me of the TM Stage 2 3 wood that I tested. I was also surprised at how light it is, I thought this might hinder me but I don't think it did.

I only hit about 8-10 balls with the club today and really felt great with it in my hands. I didn't want to go crazy with it and tire myself out. Needless to say I am ecstatic to get this out on the course, the range I was at only has mats but it was better than nothing.

I will definitely report back once I get this on the course. I am really excited to tinker around with this club, so many possibilities!

Well I got this bad boy out on the range today and Wow! My current driver is 10.5 Stiff so I decided to leave the loft at 10.5 on the R1 but adjust the face angle to 1* closed just to start with something. I really enjoyed the club at address and I also noticed that it seems a bit shorter than my current gamer which I actually enjoy( I will have to confirm this later) also the sounds this club makes when you catch one reminds me of the TM Stage 2 3 wood that I tested. I was also surprised at how light it is, I thought this might hinder me but I don't think it did.

I only hit about 8-10 balls with the club today and really felt great with it in my hands. I didn't want to go crazy with it and tire myself out. Needless to say I am ecstatic to get this out on the course, the range I was at only has mats but it was better than nothing.

I will definitely report back once I get this on the course. I am really excited to tinker around with this club, so many possibilities!

Crest, congrats on your driver getting in! I too really like the slightly shorter shaft and it feels sensational when you catch one.
Enjoy!

Crest, congrats on your driver getting in! I too really like the slightly shorter shaft and it feels sensational when you catch one.
Enjoy!
The most impressive thing is to catch one is quite simple. The face of this driver is hot outside of the normal on the screws, and shots out closer to the toe are not penalized as much as other drivers I've gamed.

Great all-rounder! I was longer with the Nike Covert on the simulator, but the R1 was far more consistent.

I am loving it and it has given me a real edge by making my 4 or 5 iron shots into 6&7 iron shots.

Great all-rounder! I was longer with the Nike Covert on the simulator, but the R1 was far more consistent.

I am loving it and it has given me a real edge by making my 4 or 5 iron shots into 6&7 iron shots.

Very nice!

I'm getting the R1 out for another round tomorrow. It has been raining like crazy so there won't be any roll out. It will be interesting to see what I get distance wise and even more interesting to see if I can still hit this thing straight or if the last outing was an anomaly.

Have a R1 on the way thanks to Jschlesi for a great deal. I won't mess around with the stock shaft though, already have another shaft to go into it. Never understood why people get fitted to a certain shaft and don't continue playing that shaft. I will hit a few balls with the stock shaft, but I have never had any luck with stock offerings in the current drivers, way too light for my swing.

I was never able to hit the r1 as well as other drivers. Earlier thus spring I went with the xhot. Today the Taylormade rep brought in a fitting cart and had a demo day at my club. As an after thought I decided to ask the fitter about the shafts he watched me hit the xhot and checked my shaft. Went back to his truck and pulled out an R1 and started fiddling around. I was bombing it. First time i ever liked the hitting the r1. It was set at 10.0 with the larger weight in the heel and a neutral face. Shaft was the TP stiff rip phenom. I was super impressed by the flight and roll out.

My brand new R1 went into play for the first time today! I have been hitting my J40 290 at the longest, and today, the R1 hit 3 bills three times! 300, 303, 309! I am stoked! I have the TP version with the Matrix 5X3 stiff shaft in it. Long and consistent! Love it and can't wait to hit it again!

usa4u5eb.jpg

My R1 is now paired with the B Asha 4s... Headed to the range to try it out..

usa4u5eb.jpg

My R1 is now paired with the B Asha 4s... Headed to the range to try it out..

Wow, very nice looking shaft and head combo!

Back