Time for new irons?

Chef

Reaction score
Handicap
Ok so I need some help from more experienced players here -

I have really been focusing on irons this season... Getting better and better at contact and distance control. I hit an old set of Nickent GH Plus - which I actually enjoy quite a bit, but would like a little less offset in my next iron set I think.

I am wondering when you know when it is time to move on to another iron shape (gi / sgi / etc)? I do not know any pros here to go talk to and just looking for opinions. I have no specific irons in mind necessarily just trying to figure out how to stick a thermometer into my iron play to see where I am.

I swing stiff shafts and my 6 iron goes 160 ish? I play a consistent draw these days but can put it straight or very high fade if need be. My ball flight is very high launch and always has been... I do not flip - I get down on the ball quite well.

Not sure what other information might be helpful - so if I can supply more please let me know.

Basic question - How do you know when it is time to move on to a different iron from GI w/ heavy offset?

Last edited:
When you want to? That has always been the answer for me. I would check out the i20 if you want to try and step up to the game enhancement category. Truly outstanding iron with a crazy amount of forgiveness out on the toe.

Is there a right time? I mean truly the right time is when you want to. If you like your irons and hit them well, I am not sure there is a reason to change outside wanting something different and there is nothing wrong with that.

Only if you want and can afford new irons.

If there is a demo day around or a golf store with hitting bays, go hit some other stuff to get a feel for other clubs.

Well, there's a lot to consider. Sounds like you think you know how to work the ball a little bit, which is one of the criteria in my mind for going to more of a player's iron. Is your handicap really 28 like your sig says? If so, it's kind of hard to imagine needing to go to something more advanced than a GI set. I don't see myself leaving the GI iron world anytime soon, but I've hit some of the forged player's irons and found them to be much more inconsistent for me. The best thing you could do is demo some more advanced irons and see what you think. I'm not familiar with the Nickent line, so I don't know what that set is like, but there's a lot of variation within the GI category and my guess would be that you could find what you need in there somewhere. Fitting/demoing is the only way to know for sure.

Is there a right time? I mean truly the right time is when you want to. If you like your irons and hit them well, I am not sure there is a reason to change outside wanting something different and there is nothing wrong with that.

I agree with this. I also never get rid of any clubs until I'm very sure the new ones are ok. Gives you something to fall back on if need be. I know it is hard to look at new clubs, but I'm in the don't fix it if it doesn't need fixed camp.

I think you'll know when it's time and you're ready. You could always go to Golftec for a set evaluation or analysis OR for a club fitting. Either will give you the information to ensure you know what club heads/shafts/grip size... is right for you.

exactly.

of course you can like the next biggest thing from the biggest names, and i've hit just about everything there is to hit. i want new irons, but i know that not much can out-perform my irons, at least not at my skill level, and i know that. if you hit other clubs justifiably better, go for it. if not, there isn't much of a reason other than just to have new clubs (which is also a nice reason :alien:).

Back