TaylorMade Daddy Long Legs Putter - Forum Review

initial thoughts with the DLL after my time out with it I noticed that like others when you hit the sweet spot it feels like air and when you miss it on toe or heel it still rolls good but you definitely get a different feeling in the feedback the one thing I took away from today is that even if I didn't hole the 1st putt I always had a 2nd putt of less than 4 feet the toll was always consistent as long as I put a good stroke on it which almost effortless with the DLL it doesn't want to do any twisting a couple my playing partners tried DLL on a couple of putts and they couldn't believe how stable their stroke was one of them actually went it right after the round and ordered a DLL I do want to pose a question to DLL testers do you know if its possible to get a heavier weight other than the standard 2.5 it comes with? The one bad thing I will say about is not even about the putter itself its the headcover I am not really fan of the velcro closure but I can live with that however I don't understand why the inside of the headcover is white which will show dirt over a period of time has anyone had the same complaint about the headcover?

Woo its interesting you and me are struggling in opposite area of putting with Daddy Long Legs.

What putter were you using before getting DLL?

Did you struggle with long putts before?

I was using a Ping Scottsdale Anser2. Had better feel on longer putts, but a more difficult time getting putts on line.

Lagged close by my HTC One

y8u7emyh.jpg

Anyone else having the paint chip problem around the insert?

Definitely have seen some of this. And I've never left the headcover off. I noticed it from the first round I played. Not a big deal to me, but definitely there.

TaylorMade Daddy Long Legs putter testing 5/16-5/19; 5/23

Last weekend I attended the THP Demo Day and Golf Outing in Orlando. I had originally decided NOT to post my experiences there with the Daddy Long Legs because it was not pretty. But, after some further thought, I really should share because there are a few pearls to be learned from my pain.

First, I should make it clear that I normally play on Bent greens, rarely on Bermuda, and have never putted very well on the latter. My long weekend began with a pre-outing round on Arnie's Bay Hill course with 3 other THP'ers--Cpljohnst, ATLGolfer and DoggDaddy. We had a really fun day, despite my putting woes. I actually started out on Hole #1 by draining a 12 footer for par. But, as the day wore on things turned a little sour. Bay Hills greens are not only Bermuda, they are very tricky. The down hillers were treacherously fast and the uphillers were painfully slow. Throw in some side hillers and some grain...well, you get the picture. I can't say that I had a horrible day putting; I was probably in the mid to high 30s. But, essentially I lost confidence in my ability to read and in my stroke. I became very defensive in my putting.

This defensiveness carried over to the Saturday competitive round at the THP Outing and my frustration just kept rising. Again, my total putts were in the high 30's. Perhaps it was a hangover from the Villa Crawl Saturday night, but, for the Sunday round I was in no mood for a repeat performance. I had thought about how defensive I had been on the greens and remembered reading something in an earlier War Eagle post about leaving putts short because of not being deliberate enough in his stroke. I decided to just start trusting the stroke and going for putts. I had a much better day putting and it spilled over to the rest of my game as I had my best scoring day of the week.

I know all that I've said in this review has little to do with the DLL and I lot to do with the guy holding it. But, I'm still convinced that if you have confidence in your stroke this putter will shine. I'm pretty sure that it would have much worse without the DLL; never once did I feel like problems were the fault of the putter.

Daddy Long Legs Putter Testing 5/23

Back on the home course and Bent greens with a clearer head and more in my comfort zone for sure. I worked a little more on being more deliberate in my stroke and it seemed to pay off.

Stats: 5 One-putts
1 Three-putt
12 two-putts

Shot a tidy 82. Happy with that. The nasty 3-putt was from about 50 feet, so wasn't too concerned with that. Only one of the 1-putts was from inside 6 feet. I had several more near misses and really felt in control. The putter felt great in my hands, speed was good, line was good, all was good.

Same here with paint chips.

Any one else find it scary on short down hill breakers? That is my only worry with this putter. I just hit it hard and hope. LOL!

y8u7emyh.jpg

Anyone else having the paint chip problem around the insert?

Yes with my Spider S (same paint job) and it is always in the cover when not putting.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Some pretty interesting reading here so far guys, thanks for bringing all the info so far. I am a little confuse on what kind of feel everyone here is seeing in general. Would you guys classify this as somewhat "Soft" or "Firm" compared to your previous putters?

Some pretty interesting reading here so far guys, thanks for bringing all the info so far. I am a little confuse on what kind of feel everyone here is seeing in general. Would you guys classify this as somewhat "Soft" or "Firm" compared to your previous putters?

Soft feel. Previous putters were Cleveland classic, ping anser milled, yes Sara, rife Aruba.

It was softer than all of them. In a really good way though. Very predictable roll out.

Soft feel. Previous putters were Cleveland classic, ping anser milled, yes Sara, rife Aruba.

It was softer than all of them. In a really good way though. Very predictable roll out.

Thanks, that's how it sounded initially, but then some talk of firmness, guessing on off center strikes. My initial thoughts with the Spider blade was a bit firmer than the SeeMore Si3, but can't confirm that untill later today on the course.

I really like the alignment set up of the DLL and can't help but think this putter could help a lot with lag putting as well as better alignment on those tricky short putts.

On center strikes it is very soft, on just off center it's still soft but you know you missed center, toe and heel hits definitely have a distinct sound and feel. Crisper on the toe and dull thud-ish on the heel for me.

This putter is TM answer to tank ? Same premise ?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Yes its he same premise. Counterweight ing and counter balancing to be the anchor-less solution.

I would think so from what little I know about the Tank.

I think it's definitely their answer to the anchored putter ban. Well at least for the time being, I imagine there will be some different offering by the time 2016 rolls around.

Has anyone compared this with the Ghost Spider? I rolled them both in the store yesterday and I was more accurate with the Ghost Spider, but it could have been a fluke. I didn't get to spend a lot of time with either of them.

Guys I just had my first full round with this putter and I am hooked. Again, I am not going to tell you that you can't miss with this putter, but I am hooked on it.

Today was one, if not the best, days of putting I have had in the last couple of years. This putter just radiates confidence for me. I have not been putting well for the last year, so the only thing to instill this confidence is this new putter. It just makes my stroke feel so natural. I know that the putter isn't making the putts, but it sure is helping. The counterbalancing of this putter is perfect for my flaws. I did not have many problems with speed and distance. I am really glad to have this putter in the bag.

Guys I just had my first full round with this putter and I am hooked. Again, I am not going to tell you that you can't miss with this putter, but I am hooked on it.

Today was one, if not the best, days of putting I have had in the last couple of years. This putter just radiates confidence for me. I have not been putting well for the last year, so the only thing to instill this confidence is this new putter. It just makes my stroke feel so natural. I know that the putter isn't making the putts, but it sure is helping. The counterbalancing of this putter is perfect for my flaws. I did not have many problems with speed and distance. I am really glad to have this putter in the bag.

Do you think the counterbalance is helping you keep this face more square at impact? Any issue with coming up short?

Has anyone compared this with the Ghost Spider? I rolled them both in the store yesterday and I was more accurate with the Ghost Spider, but it could have been a fluke. I didn't get to spend a lot of time with either of them.

I moved from the Yes! Sophia to the Ghost Spider several months ago. This week I made the change from the Spider to the DDL. I was looking for a putter that would help me line up my putt and help me keep the putter on the intended path. The move from the Sophia to the Spider helped with my line and the move to the DLL from the Spider improved my line even more and has tremendously helped my stroke.

I feel that someone that does not have an issue with keeping the putter on the intended stroke will not benefit from this putter as much. You may already have a pretty good putting stroke, therefore the counterbalancing and additional putter length may be more if a henderance than a help.

Do you think the counterbalance is helping you keep this face more square at impact? Any issue with coming up short?

No doubt in my mind that the counterbalance is helping keep the head square. It makes my putting strong feel very strong and I can tell that I am actually putting the way a person is intended to putt.

I am not having trouble with distance like some others are. I think thinks because I have been putting with the Spider for the last couple if months. When I changed from my Sophia to the Spider I had some distance problems, but I have not had any additional distance problems changing I from the Spider to the DLL.

No doubt in my mind that the counterbalance is helping keep the head square. It makes my putting strong feel very strong and I can tell that I am actually putting the way a person is intended to putt.

I am not having trouble with distance like some others are. I think thinks because I have been putting with the Spider for the last couple if months. When I changed from my Sophia to the Spider I had some distance problems, but I have not had any additional distance problems changing I from the Spider to the DLL.

Good stuff. I think my biggest problem was that I wanted to weight to do the work for me, once I went back to my normal stroke and forced ,yield to putt through the ball, my distance control was back to what it should be.

Kobey, I have not compared the two and only rolled the spider once or maybe twice.

Cody, glad to see your having so much confidence with DLL and its working so well for you!

Good stuff. I think my biggest problem was that I wanted to weight to do the work for me, once I went back to my normal stroke and forced ,yield to putt through the ball, my distance control was back to what it should be.

I don't feel as if the putter is quite heavy enough to make ME feel like the putter will do the work for me, but I could definitely see how someone could have that problem. I think that maybe is what people wanting to put additional/heavier weight in the bottom of the putter is trying to achieve.

I have been putting very well the last couple times - distance control has really improved. More practice, improving greens, and getting more comfortable with the DLL has really helped.

A very decent 28 putts today.

I have been putting very well the last couple times - distance control has really improved. More practice, improving greens, and getting more comfortable with the DLL has really helped.

A very decent 28 putts today.

That is awesome. I am glad you are turning the corner.

That is awesome. I am glad you are turning the corner.

It's just too good from inside 15 to not do everything possible to make it work outside 30!

Had another good outing with the Daddy Long Legs. First the stats:

(6) 1-putts
(10) 2-putts
(2) 3-putts
(32) Total putts

The two 3-putts were from distance--30-40 feet. The one difficulty I'm having with the DLL is my lag putts outside of 20 feet. I think some others have mentioned they are better on the shorter and medium distances. To be fair, I have not spent any time working on my lag putting. I'm sure with a few practice sessions this will come around. The putter is just too well balanced for this to be a continuing problem.

Three of the 1-putts were for birdie, which was good. Two were to save par, and one was actually to save a double bogie. All were inside 10 feet.

Of the 2-putts, I counted 3 that hit the lip and one that hung on the lip. All were around the hole and comfortable tap ins. So, despite the 32 putts, I still felt good about my putting round. With the exception of the two lag putts that I left woefully short and one 15 footer that I just hurried, I was very pleased with how I was rolling ball with the DLL.

One caution I would mention is that it is easy to get caught up focusing on the putter and not your stroke. When I do that I often do not hit the putt deliberately enough and usually come up short. I get better results from being a little more aggressive with my stroke, even on fast greens.

I have picked up a small chip on the white paint on the top edge of the face of the DLL. I keep the putter cover on until I putt. So, as others have noted, the DLL finish might be a little bit prone to chipping rather easily. I plan to get some touch up paint to keep it looking good. As long as I keep putting well with it, a little chip here or there can be handled.

Back